Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

Default What oil to use?

hey guys.

i need to know what oil i should be using in my LT TDCi. i just need to top it up before i go away on holiday with it, and i dont have the time (or money) atm for its 45k service.

can someone advise me what oil to buy please

thanks guys

AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Mobil recommends
FORD
Focus LT Series, 2.0 Litre Duratorq Turbo Diesel, Manual (2008-2009)

MOBIL SUPER FE SPECIAL 5W-30

Unless you have a full synthetic in at the moment (Mobil 1, Motul etc), I'd just use any good quality 5W-30 oil:

Castrol Mobil Valvoline Shell
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
rand0mn00b

Castrol Edge 5W-30 oil $34.99 @ REPCO. Limit 3 per person.

Bloody good price IMO, considering I paid $55 @ Supercheap Auto a few months back

edit: a glance at the manual confirms that 5W-30 grade oil is recommended for all the engines

Last edited by rand0mn00b; 06-07-2009 at 09:09 PM.
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

great thanks guys.

i have only let ford put oil in my car...so i dont know if they have used a synthetic or not....

im a noob to engine oils...would there be any issue if i used a different oil to what ford used in my last service?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
insane_executa

hey mate, give them a call tomorrow just say that you want to know what type of oil they use for the **km service(your last service) they should tell you what they use for that service, what the brand/product is and whether its fully synthetic or not. Then you'll know what to go off by.
insane_executa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
melbzetec

Anthony, how many k's on the car?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

about 48k melbzetec. ill call ford tomorrow to double check. i really want to get the 45k service done, however having to pay for a wedding and going on honey moon is making the ol' bank balance take a strain.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
melbzetec

I'd just grab the Castrol Edge 5w-30 and top it up. It will be better than the dealer oil.

I'm a big fan of synthetics, but it probably hasn't had synthetics in it, so I'd stick with a good quality mineral oil like Castrol Edge

Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
alky89

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
I'm a big fan of synthetics, but it probably hasn't had synthetics in it, so I'd stick with a good quality mineral oil like Castrol Edge
im using 5w30 castrol edge sport in my zetec and the bottle says its fully synthetic. its the one in the gold bottle. maybe the "edge" name is a range and they have a bunch of different oils.

and i always thought diesels needed engine oil specific for diesels. learn something new everyday...
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
melbzetec

Synthetic is a very loose term and unfortunately covers a somewhat wide range of formulations. What Castrol calls "synthetic" is at the very lowest end of what you can get away with calling "synthetic".

You get what you pay for

Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MY Ford Dealer uses Mobil's Delvac MX 15W40 on my TDCI, which is a mineral oil formulated for Diesels but its not synthetic.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
melbzetec

That brings back memories!

Delvac is exclusively designed for diesels.

Trivia: It stands for Diesel Engine Lubricant Vacuum.....as it was originally produced by the Vacuum Oil Company which was a forerunner to Mobil.

God I'm getting old

Old 08-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

so i rang Ford today and they said that they have used Castrol 5w-30w semi synthetic. whats the difference between a fully synthetic and a semi synthetic?