Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Need Help Getting a Race Car Sponsor

Hey Guys,

Ive been building a race car for the past 18 months, its getting very close to completion so its time to think of company's i should approach about sponsorship...

The car is a hyundai excel sports sedan which is full space frame.
Fastest sedan class in australia...

Any ideas?

Cheers

Last edited by KPOJ; 10-06-2009 at 07:21 PM.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe send some emails or phone some performance parts places. That's what I would do. An Excel is pretty unique in the field of racing so you might get some bites with that alone because it would stand out I reckon.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here it is...

Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Maybe send some emails or phone some performance parts places. That's what I would do. An Excel is pretty unique in the field of racing so you might get some bites with that alone because it would stand out I reckon.
Cheers mate
Old 10-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are basicly selling advertising on the car, so it is what exposure you can give the company involved.
Think of where your car will be spotted and who will see it, and pick a company that see these people as their target market.

Sell it to them as a business oportunity and do up a proposal of what you can give them for the $'s / support your after.

Be prepared for many many knock backs but keep at it. You may have to approch 100 busineses to get one that is interested.
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Poorboy_racer

My mate races a rail type dragster. From his experience. Get a proposal together. Namly, some photgraphs of your car with sponsor logo space on it. Spell out exacly what they will get: ie for $1000 you will get a 500 x 500 logo on the side of the car and the trailer for one full season of ? races. Try to get some idea of how many people are likely to see the logo and what they may get out of it. Any TV coverage is good. Target companies that have some realation to the sport first. Car places etc, but you will find most of they already sponsor someone or race themselfs. Exhausting them look for a new retail shop opening and get in there first. Be enthusiastic....look what I can do for you... sort of thing. Get your company seen etc. If you cant get money try and get your fuel sponsored, tyres, oil etc it all adds up even the decals end up costing a fair bit and sometimes its easier to get goods rather than money. Talk with your accountant about self sponsorship (it is possible). Its not easy but persitance pays off. Good luck.
Poorboy_racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^

cheers mate, i should start making a proposal...

their will be tv coverage so hopefully that appeals to a sponsor a bit more.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No more suggestions.

If it helps i live in melbourne.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Poorboy_racer

Take some photos of the tracks you will be racing on, preferably with lots of people watching the racing. Explain size of feilds ie there will be at least ? cars on the track at any time. If you have any racing experience spell it out. If not, explain you are a newie and very enthusiastic. Always make your car and yourself presentable. A clean car and set up go a long way. Hope this helps a little.
Poorboy_racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you will also need to provide some evidence of competition history, and the meets, championships etc that you have won. They will also want to see your track record - ie that you have raced consistently in a particular category for so many years. They want a profile, one that is suitable for their business.
So for example, i have raced in drag racing for the past 8 years.
2007/8 championship winner super sedan tas drag racing series.
2007/7 3rd super sedan
2006/7 2nd super sedan
2005/6 3rd super street.
Best reaction time 2008/9

Also, how many people attend the events, what tv or media coverage is there. What types of people attend the events?

Finally, present yourself well, speak well, and be courteous.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK amazing luck i get a call from hyundai today, they said they have heard about my car and got my number after some research... Looks like they are very interested, have to wait and see how it pans out.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hit up a few hyundai dealerships, parts suppliers etc or anyone who has had a hand in working on the car.

It is hard to gain sponsorship if the car isnt ready to race, or doesnt attend every meeting.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was going to say Hyundai, what have they suggested? That looks like a great car! What engine?
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I was going to say Hyundai, what have they suggested? That looks like a great car! What engine?
Cheers man...

Thats the problem, ive chatted to hyundai, they are very interested buit it has a nissan sr20. Hyundai have said they want a hyundai engine in it.

:
How can a car be competitive with a hyundai engine? ive come up with an idea that hyundai are half approving of. Get a mitsubishi lancer engine which is similar to a sonata engine, apparently the rocker covers are interchangeable, run the sonata rocker cover and no ones the wiser.. :

They are going to call me on monday to talk in more detail.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

Hit them up for an engine-driveline...perhaps one they have developed but not yet here in Oz...

The Hyundai Lamba 3.8 V6

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...CAGO/902119987

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #16
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOJ
OK amazing luck i get a call from hyundai today, they said they have heard about my car and got my number after some research... Looks like they are very interested, have to wait and see how it pans out.
Was going to suggest Hyundai, great exposure for them......and you
Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

If you get hyundi sponsorship and you loose your job in the next 12 months do you get to return the car like their ads state !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #18
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-0351
Hit them up for an engine-driveline...perhaps one they have developed but not yet here in Oz...

The Hyundai Lamba 3.8 V6

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...CAGO/902119987
Unfortunately cant run that engine unless i put a billet crank and re-sized bore... but im doing that anyway. hmmm

3.5L turbo multi valve engine has to weigh 1200kg. top 6 litre chevs have to weigh 1125kg and make 750-770hp that means the hyundai engine would have to make 800-850hp i think that would be leaning on it a bit to much.

2-2.6L would be perfect. Car would only have to weigh 975-1050kg so 2.6L would need to make 700hp

Cheers mate

Last edited by KPOJ; 12-06-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #19
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
If you get hyundi sponsorship and you loose your job in the next 12 months do you get to return the car like their ads state !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haven't head that one but sounds the goods. ill keep my eye out for it.

Anyhow i dont think ill be loosing my job any time soon. economy is picking back up :
Old 12-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #20
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Was going to suggest Hyundai, great exposure for them......and you
Hyundai did sponsor my mate last year in the aus manufacturers series, so motorsport isn't new to them.

Hopefully they like the car.

nice turbo engine would mate nicely with the rest of the drive line/car.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #21
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also the hyundai bloke talked about one of their new v8s that come out in the genesis. Dont know if it could make enough power. Has to make 700hp N/A.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #22
zx10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
I think that was Kia.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #23
ZC001
Cruisin

In my experience you need to be able to afford a budget to build and race your car independently and out of your own pocket. Fairy godmothers or Leprechauns with pots of gold are very few and far between. Any sponsor that can afford to contribute the funds that you cannot will be expecting a return on the dollars they invest, ie: how the dollars they invest in your race operation will return more profits to them (not just sales) than the sponsorship amount you are asking of them. Given the current economic climate, sponsorship budgets and expectation of returns have both now tightened up. Good Luck.
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #24
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC001
In my experience you need to be able to afford a budget to build and race your car independently and out of your own pocket. Fairy godmothers or Leprechauns with pots of gold are very few and far between. Any sponsor that can afford to contribute the funds that you cannot will be expecting a return on the dollars they invest, ie: how the dollars they invest in your race operation will return more profits to them (not just sales) than the sponsorship amount you are asking of them. Given the current economic climate, sponsorship budgets and expectation of returns have both now tightened up. Good Luck.
Very true mate, what/if i can get sponsorship that will be a bonus, the car will be run out of my pocket, just a few extra $$$ is very helpful.

I was going to run at a state level and do the occasional national round, but if i could get a sponsor i would be able to afford more traveling costs interstate to run all over the country.
Old 13-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #25
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Rather than looking for cash, I would try and do some deals with products your going to need,eg: lubricants, race and pump fuels, tyres, panel shop, trans builder etc.
if you can get a lot of this stuff with huge discounts in return for signage on the car, this will help your running costs between each meeting...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #26
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Rather than looking for cash, I would try and do some deals with products your going to need,eg: lubricants, race and pump fuels, tyres, panel shop, trans builder etc.
if you can get a lot of this stuff with huge discounts in return for signage on the car, this will help your running costs between each meeting...
Exactly tyres are the main concern, the engine will only be looked after by my engine builder and the rest of the driveline will be prepped by fpr...

Im going to run the thing on e85 which will bring the cost down over $6-8 a litre martini.

My cousin had a panel shop which i have had full access to for years now, thats very handy.

Anyone who has helped me out has a sticker on the car...

but your right spoolman the consumables are somthing a sponsor would be very handy with...

Have you experimented with e85 in your drag car? exhaust temps are 100 degrees lower, so less chance of detonation at higher boost.
Old 13-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #27
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOJ

Have you experimented with e85 in your drag car? exhaust temps are 100 degrees lower, so less chance of detonation at higher boost.
Mate that's not a drag car, its my daily driver, 1st and only time at the fordforum nats my mate Rod prepared the car in race trim.
I was going to try E85 some time back, the guy who re-drilled the injectors botched the job.
At the moment more than happy using Martini fuel and some of there lubricants the fuel has been very consistent & reliable my engine never misses a beat and for the 3 to 4 times a year my car races its still cheaper to use the Martini unleaded than to fork out for new injectors and tuning.
The guys at Martini are passionate about performance and after having a few conversations with them I am confident there fuel is giving my cars set-up the best possible ET.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #28
brownasp23
Starter Motor

Im interested in helping you out this is my 1st thread so im not sure i can PM but i am keen, talk more.
brownasp23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #29
mdc351
Starter Motor

The most important thing to remember if you do up a proposal is to make specific requests to each individual company. Ie if you approach xyz oil company tell them exactly what you want in product for the season and how much signage space on the car they will get (plus what else you can give them - eg promotion on your team website, their logo on press releases etc). As spoolman said I would not ask for cash - stick to asking for product, you're more likely to get a foot in the door and start building a relationship this way. I have quite a few proposals I have done for Pro teams that I am willing to let you have a look at - IM me if you like.
mdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post