Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Closed Thread

Old 26-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

Default cant sell car, what to do?

just trying to work out what the hell to do, i nearly bought my new car but fell through as the sale for mine did... besides putting it on carsales which will attract more interest but probably a lower price... where am i left, i really want the new car but cant find anyone to buy mine?

All oppinions welcome!

Old 26-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Trade it in.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 26-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyman
just trying to work out what the hell to do, i nearly bought my new car but fell through as the sale for mine did... besides putting it on carsales which will attract more interest but probably a lower price... where am i left, i really want the new car but cant find anyone to buy mine?

All oppinions welcome!
sign of the times,your not the only one this has happend to,hang on to your car for now,there will be alot more cars you will want soon enuff,witch will be cheaper

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
Old 26-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Mate I know how you feel. I had my Xr6 advertised for 5-6 weeks on carsales. In that time I had all sorts calling and only 2 serious interests. Everyone thought I was whistling dixie to get the money I wanted for it. I started it at $7900 and dropped $200 every 2 weeks. When it got to $7500 one guy called me and put a deposit down straigtht away. There is always one person out there who will buy the car its a matter of waiting for them to come along if you have the patience.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
Old 26-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Had a read through your FS thread, and personally I think you're asking too much for it. As JAZSXY has said above, if you're patient, some crazy person may come along and give you what you're asking, but you can't always bank on that.

So you're options are:
1) Trade it in
2) Drop the price
3) Advertise on carsales etc - I wouldn't be relying on a car forum to sell a car, it's definitely not the best place to sell.
Old 26-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

It comes down to how desperate you are for the car to sell and what your personal value of it is.

I thought my car with what it had was worth more than the market value. I wasnt desperate to sell it so I put on a price I felt was what I was prepared to part with it for.

Unfortunately your car is a little more common than what I had. Carsales is probably the best place to sell it. I agree with the above, forums and clubs are not the best place to sell things as there is a greater market that know of car sale type websites that dont know about the forums.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
Old 26-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

Everything sells... At the right price.!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know how much you are asking, but, if it don't sell, then it's too much.
Old 26-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my dad's car was on for a about 9 months altogether (on carsales for 5 months, took it off, put it back on 3 months later...)
and we only had 2 serious buyers after all that time. both came, saw, like, and "bought" (well that's another story).
it was one of the cheapest xr6's on carsales although it had the least amount kms out of every other one by far.
it was a practically new car for a reasonably good price... maybe people thought that the clock had been wound back...:togo: (13,400 kms in almost 4 years)
cheers, Anthony
Old 26-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
So you're options are:
1) Trade it in
2) Drop the price
3) Advertise on carsales etc - I wouldn't be relying on a car forum to sell a car, it's definitely not the best place to sell.
As above..........

Car Sales is a much better place than any forum

Have you looked around and seen what other cars the same as yours are being advertsied for - now advertsied price is always not the price they get for it when they sell it.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 26-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
slow8
Banned

far as if seen carsales prices are much higher then most forums or ebay will ever go. i am selling my car for what i thought was a reasonable amount for a modified ed.
went on carsales and stock standard cars with the same km's are even $500 dearer. i was amazed.
been on carsales for a week now i think and had a guy come today to look at it and say he would take it if i get a roady (shouldnt cost me much anyway)
Old 26-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #11
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

thanks for all the oppinions guys, maybe i should put it on there and wait it out cuz im not giving my pride and joy away for peanuts...my for sale ad has it now for $6000, yeh i did have a look on carsales and a decent standard one range from about $4500-$5500, so for what im asking with alot of other stuff done to it is very reasonable, i know you dont make money on mods but ive seen heaps of others for a higher price in worse condition... cant wait to post up the new car once this sells
Old 26-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #12
slow8
Banned

yeh you really cant do much else but sit and wait.
i pretty much just put it on every forum im a member of, carsales and was going to put up some things at work but dont think i need to now.
Old 27-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
stippa

The price people put cars up for and what they actually get are totally different, I wouldnt be using that as a guide for what you 'should' get for your car. Mate to be honest the car market is absolutley fkd for everyone.. not just you, but on the other hand you have a car now that is 13 years old and has hit over 200 000km.. So you will be having trouble selling the car..
Im trying to sell my EF XR8 atm and i really dont care what i get for it as you have to cut your losses sometimes.. at the end of the day when a car gets to a price as low as 6k, even if you sell it for $1000 or $1500 less it really doesnt matter its not that much money when you think about it.

Last edited by stippa; 27-04-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 27-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Way overpriced.
The car is probably worth a grand no more.

Last edited by Badcooky; 27-04-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 27-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
this car handles great even cruising at 160 has next no vibrations or anything
nearly nothing has been left untouched since i got it.
This put me off, do you 'cruise' at 160 often?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 28-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
95falcon
B E-S

You want 6k for a car I paid $1k for with 60,000kms less.
Cruise doesnt work, and part of the interior is broken. Rims have gutter marks.
My $1000 car needs a new water pump. Its also an EF Fairmont btw.

You'll get over $3000 for it, how much more is up to you. If you need it to sell put it up for 3500.
If you want to wait several more months put it up for 5000.

Up to you.
Old 28-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #17
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dropping 3k off the price should see more interest.
Old 28-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

when buying and selling cars it can be quite amusing to step back and see how we all work. we all want maximum dollars for the one we are selling and want to hand over the bare minimum for the one we want to buy.

i was trying to sell a ba futura wagon for nearly a year. started at $12500 before the financial collapse. was always the cheapest on carsales. ended up selling it for $9500. not quite what i wanted but it gone and i'm happy with my bfmk2.

modifications don't add value to a car. a lot of the time, depending on what is done and how its done, it can de value the car.
Old 28-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
modifications don't add value to a car. a lot of the time, depending on what is done and how its done, it can de value the car.
true that!
Old 30-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #20
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

badcooky lol your nothing less of an idiot for saying its worth no more than $1000, no offence, if i cant reach a decent price for the car i wont be sellin it as it doesnt have anything really a new car doesnt, and just to put a few people in the pic i was offered $4000 without wheels and stereo... but im not selling parts seperate, want the lot gone... over the last couple of weeks im thinkin of just spending 5k on it and making a real nice one to keep, there less common than an XR6T or any BA-BF (not to say i dont love them lol) but its something not seen as much
Old 30-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
badcooky lol your nothing less of an idiot for saying its worth no more than $1000, no offence, if i cant reach a decent price for the car i wont be sellin it as it doesnt have anything really a new car doesnt, and just to put a few people in the pic i was offered $4000 without wheels and stereo... but im not selling parts seperate, want the lot gone... over the last couple of weeks im thinkin of just spending 5k on it and making a real nice one to keep, there less common than an XR6T or any BA-BF (not to say i dont love them lol) but its something not seen as much
No offence, but it you wanted to sell it, you were crazy for not accepting the 4k offer without wheels or stereo!
Old 30-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #22
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could donate it to a worthy cause...ME
Old 30-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #23
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wat's wrong with you? People have told you facts only to get you calling them morons, these people here know far more than you mate.

It's an extremely common vehicle and yes you can get better ones for 1000.

My cars a manual that already makes it 10 times rarer than yours and manuals are still common as hell.

A new car doesn't have 224k's on it, which is when everything starts degrading especially suspension.

Stop being so arrogant and biased it's a common EF fairmont auto, my mate just crashed one the other day. People have told you what it's worth, you're the idiot for not taking that 4k offer not everyone else.

I'll compose a list of many fairmonts equal or better than yours in an up coming post so you finally get the picture.
Old 30-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #24
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

thanks private9 lol, ILLiVATOR i said idiot, not moron....i wanted opinions not completely stupid remarks, i take on board what you said about dropping 3 grand for more interest... as far as suspension, new shocks and springs all round and bushes done when car was bought, reco'd head, along with new radiator, alternator full trans service...everythings practically new, and yours being a manual doesnt make it that rare its a falcon dude, if you didnt already know fairmonts dont come in manual, have a look at the ad and tell me that BadCookie saying $1000 isnt just completely stupid ?!?!? ILLiVATOR i think you need to take in what people write and do a little research before posting... dont want to make a big fight in the forum, no hard feelings mate ;)

PS: Cheek... you cant have the car lol
Old 30-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #25
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

heya mate.. we got one with 60000 k's as a fairmont ghia with all electric options/ eg.. sunroof/air/power/etc.. and leather.. for 9k..
some say we paid too much but i have it insured for 10500 with nrma..
and apart from that we're happy with it..
(just giving you an example)
try ebay with a low starting bid.. trade in will give you f_ all..(car yard needs to make money too)
yea the extra's usually don't help when they see the km's.. and at a time like this everyone is looking for something for nothing..
i'd get ****ed too if people say to me 2000..or whatever with the mods.. but the cars on the market with the k's are fetching not much regardless..
why don't you take off the extra's and leave it all stock again. sell it for 2 or 3k.. and then ebay the rest?? (just an example)

good luck whichever way you go about it..

Last edited by motorcycles4eva; 30-04-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 30-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #26
89fairlane
Starter Motor

lol watch James smash him..

*runs and hides*
Old 30-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #27
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thanks private9 lol, ILLiVATOR i said idiot, not moron....i wanted opinions not completely stupid remarks, i take on board what you said about dropping 3 grand for more interest... as far as suspension, new shocks and springs all round and bushes done when car was bought, reco'd head, along with new radiator, alternator full trans service...everythings practically new, and yours being a manual doesnt make it that rare its a falcon dude, if you didnt already know fairmonts dont come in manual, have a look at the ad and tell me that BadCookie saying $1000 isnt just completely stupid ?!?!? ILLiVATOR i think you need to take in what people write and do a little research before posting... dont want to make a big fight in the forum, no hard feelings mate ;)

PS: Cheek... you cant have the car lol

i said idiot, not moron

That changes what?

"as far as suspension, new shocks and springs all round and bushes done when car was bought, reco'd head, along with new radiator, alternator full trans service...everythings practically new"

You need to put this in your ad.

"and yours being a manual doesnt make it that rare its a falcon dude"

They're a lot less common than an auto fairmont last time I checked that's the direct definition of rare

Also I don't see the GXL's in the older generations fetching any more than their falcon equivalent"

"if you didnt already know fairmonts dont come in manual"

I did know they stopped putting them in fairmonts at EB II/ED.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #28
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

thanks mate, yeh i just didnt want to rip the car apart and have all the drama tryin to sell individual items but i here what your saying...at least you understand where im coming from, some people just dont get it, mate i would pay 9k for a ghia with all the options with low k's in good nick too, in the e-series i would want nothing other than a EL Farimont Ghia with Tickford body kit, sunroof with low k's with a low boost setup in sparkling burgandy... ;) shweet!
Old 16-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #29
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate i bought an EL Fairmont with a new reco engine and box for $1200,so there ya go.It's a buyers market at the moment.
I'd say not selling it when you could of was in itself a mistake maybe an idiotic mistake ,who knows.Asking that money for an old car with a lot of k's get real.
Be a bit carefull who you go calling names mate,you asked and to me it's worth a grand no more.
Let's do lunch.
Old 19-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #30
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

its not a mistake or idiotic because i can sell the car for $4000 now if i want, just not lettin it go for that price... im not hungry
Closed Thread