Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
ORESUMSR
Legless Old Fart

Default Front brake calipers sticking

The front calipers on my 2001 AUII are sticking when hot to the point that it takes a lot of effort to turn the wheels by hand, when they're jacked up off the floor. The back calipers are fine in this regard.

I have had the rotors "skimmed", pads replaced and the calipers overhauled, but the sticking problem still persists and the brakes smell of burning material after stopping. When the brakes cool down, they close and release without any problems and I have travelled about 200 k's since the overhaul.

There has never been any damage to the front suspension that may have caused the brake lines to get damaged so what else could be causing the problem? :

ORESUMSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i got my brake rotors machined it was braking when i wasnt for a good 200km.. its all good now tho...
altho 1 out of the 2 slide pin things didnt want to move even with hte assistance of a hammer.. so came to the conclusion it didnt move ...(this is on a series 1 tho)
Old 31-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i got my brake rotors machined it was braking when i wasnt for a good 200km.. its all good now tho...
altho 1 out of the 2 slide pin things didnt want to move even with hte assistance of a hammer.. so came to the conclusion it didnt move ...(this is on a series 1 tho)
Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #4
ORESUMSR
Legless Old Fart

Can anyone else please help
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
XR8AU2121

Make sure the caliper is sliding freely on both guide pins. Should be lubricated with special high melting point grease and also make sure the rubber dust/water seals are fitting correctly. Otherwise water will enter and cause the pins to rust and jam up.
XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
ORESUMSR
Legless Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8AU2121
Make sure the caliper is sliding freely on both guide pins. Should be lubricated with special high melting point grease and also make sure the rubber dust/water seals are fitting correctly. Otherwise water will enter and cause the pins to rust and jam up.
They've just been overhauled at the muffler & Brake centre, so the fitter claims hmmmmmm?? Maybe not, and I paid $150 @ $75 per side, to get them done.

Looks like I could have been dudded???
Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
JoesAu

has it fixed the issue?
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
ORESUMSR
Legless Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
has it fixed the issue?
The problem exists after both front calipers were overhauled, pads replaced and rotors skimmed.

When the brakes cool down, there's no problem, they lock on and release normally. :
Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
phibza_XR6
drive it like u stole it

might be a silly question but have u bleed the brakes properly because this can cause them to stick on
Old 05-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

simple...take it back to the guy that did it, and get them to fix the issue FREE OF CHARGE. this should have been the first thing you did. if you get no luck with him he can be reported for dodgey practice. brakes are a high saftey issue and should be correctly repaired and maintained at ALL times. so take the car back and demand they fix it properly.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
ORESUMSR
Legless Old Fart

Sorry for not replying sooner.

The brakes were overhauled & fitted by a so called expert, so I can only assume they were bled correctly, but you never know.

Yep, I'll be taking the car back as soon as I can get a free day when I can watch over his shoulder.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the bleeding thing sounds good , master cylander over full? ....as the guys reckon let the repairer fix the problem.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
ORESUMSR
Legless Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORESUMSR
Sorry for not replying sooner.

The brakes were overhauled & fitted by a so called expert, so I can only assume they were bled correctly, but you never know.

Yep, I'll be taking the car back as soon as I can get a free day when I can watch over his shoulder.

Problem appears solved and fixed. He put in new front pads - at his expense - and completely replaced the brake fluid throughout the system. There was faint heat smell after about ½ hour city driving but I jacked the front passenger side wheel up and found I could spin it quite easily.

Thanks everyone who posted suggestions, because I bombarded him with these and I think he was glad to get rid of me, in a friendly way. :eclipsee_