Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
frank#2
Starter Motor

Default fitting an I6T into an AU3 XR6?

Has any advice as to the wiring up of a BARRA to an AU? fitting the engine looks pretty staight forward( except for the bonnet clearance issues, which will probably be solved by the use of fibre glass) but it's the electrics in particulare the ignition with have me completly stumped?

frank#2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

It would be fair easier to simply add a turbo setup to your existing motor.
Old 30-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

g`day frank welcome to the forums, sounds like a good project, i`m not sure mate but if i recall previouse posts the barra computers is needed possibly the loom or parts of it, or after market computer , someone will correct me if i`m wrong, good luck with it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Its very doable. You will need full wiring diagram to add wiring and use exisiting wiring.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
It would be fair easier to simply add a turbo setup to your existing motor.
And even that's not as easy as it seems. The B-series ECU is much better understood than the AU's so is more readily tuned. Until someone comes up with a way to reprogram the AU ECU to understand a 2 bar MAP sensor, you'll most likely need an aftermarket ECU as well.

The AU's engine management uses the PWM communication protocol, the B-series uses CAN and the B-series ECU is linked to all the other alphabet soup of B-series computers, BEM, ICC, HIM etc. Apparently a B-series engine won't run unless they are all present. There was someone who could mod the BA ECU to work without all the other gear, but apparently it was too easy for other tuners to work out what to do from looking at his mods, so he stopped doing it.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Cost wise it would be a choice between an auction house turbo ba with strip down and rebuild and just using your current engine with a turbo
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bpt motorsport in perth can disable all the auxiliary (ie, icc, bem, etc) security measures from ba ecu's with the sniper software i believe. as above, the hardest bit would probably be wiring the two looms together. you will need to have the au ecu in place so things like trans, dash, ignition, etc all still work, and a ba ecu under the bonnet to drive the motor. have a look at the sponsors section further down the page and ask them about it
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
frank#2
Starter Motor

Wow some say it's doable and some say forget it, maybe I'll do both! I'll put my FG turbo on to my VCT first and see how happy I am with that, and slowly work on the graft seperatly using a half cut from a wreckers and nut out the obstacles one at a time?
Old 30-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Hmm

Maybe a bit more background of what you want and where you intend to use it.

If you are going to rebirth a car with a cut n paste and increase the power house to run a 10sec car, then a f6 with the good gear will give you the same thrill and a bonus as a daily driver

Some of the older bastards, aka me being of them, will pass on experience that if you are going to spend 20k plus on a vehicle, let someone else do the development and enjoy the rewards at a fraction of the cost.

Even a 3v is an untapped powerplant
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #10
frank#2
Starter Motor

I've got a one owner car( I'm it's second owner) and it took me 18 mths and a lot of luck to find a manual, I'm absolutely in love with it, I've put brand new brembos on the front and have recently put it on VSI LPG and a great Pioneer stereo with blue tooth and ipod, a cousin of mine has a BA XR8 manual and (this is only my opinion) I reckon the AU IRS superior to the BA it's a lot less nervous with mid corner bumps in my opinion than the "control blade" that's my observation anyway, the only problem I have is there's a guy I run into on my way to work every morning who drives one of those TRD Aurions and he kicks my but every time in a very smug and arrogant manner and all I won't is a bit of payback if you know what I mean, I don't won't to set the world on fire I just would like to keep up with and maybe beat some of these newer cars that seam to have to wood on my AU
Old 30-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lmao...a raptor s/c kit is only just over 5k, then it's s/c like the aurion, lol

bit cheaper than an xrt motor conversion...

just keep in mind though, unless you are prepared to throw a fair few $ at it, don't expect it to be cheap, fast and reliable....remember, you can only have 2 of those things...or so they say
Old 31-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
frank#2
Starter Motor

Turbos aren't a mistery my brother has spent a few years in and around them and as for paying some one to work on my car that's just not in my nature I have a simple philosophy to my life "if I can't fix it I won't own it" that's why I have a manual what's the worst that can happen, a new clutch? rebiulding the box? if I can rebuild a L/CRUISER 5 speed and transfer case how hard can a Tremec be? I have no intention of putting more than 6 maybe 7 psi boost into this car if that's not enough to kick that AURIONs butt then I can accept that and just be happy with what I've got
Old 31-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #13
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

by $ i meant engine more than anything. as for the s/c kit, it's diy. you bolt in all on yourself. sly has done this recently to his au, albeit an auto, but running lpg and 8 psi. i think this is rated at 350hp, i'm not sure if that's rear wheel or flywheel though... i guess a more accurate answer could have been provided if you said how much power you wanted out of it in the first place. as for rebuilding the t5, you would probably be better off getting a stronger box to start with. not that these are that weak, as long as you don't go slamming gears and dropping the clutch all the time it should handle the power you want fine
Old 31-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #14
frank#2
Starter Motor

350hp sounds about the ball park which would probably be in the "14s", a friend of mine has a VN SS with a paxton on it but to be honest I'm not a big fan, the power delivery can be (for me any way) a bit how can I put it brutal which suits my mate just fine as he likes doing the odd burn out or two, I'm not that way inclined any more I grew out of that faze about twenty years ago (my first car was my fathers XY wagon with factory fitted 302 & toploader, to which I had to add a 9inch to, tin hats and toploaders are a recipe for headaches as I found out) that's why I've chosen the turbo option plus an FG Garret came along at the right time and for a price that I couldn't knock back ($900.00 with injectors and blow of valve and not stolen), the Barra thoughts started about a week ago when I visited a mate and had a look at the engine bay of his XT Wagon and thought how hard could this be to fit into the AU? so I bought a 190 on ebay last weekend for $500.00 and so I thought bugger it I need something to tinker with on the weekends and here I am with this big arsed can of worms in front of me now!
Old 31-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #15
sly
Sly like a G6

350hp @ the flywheel, around 260 @ the treads.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well the motor conversion can be done. but you really need a bf (for the motor you have there) ecu to get the most out of it. then you need to find someone who can set the ecu up for you (ie remove security) so you can get it all running. from what i understand physically the motor bolts straight in but you will either need a high series (non xr) bonnet to clear the valve cover. i assume from that above post you are very mechanically minded, so it shouldn't be too hard. have a read through here http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ht=ba+motor+au i know it talks about the au ecu, but you won't be able to run the dual cam timing with it, so it kinda defeats the purpose of it...
Old 31-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
dreadly
Banned

Turbo your existing I6 au engine
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadly
Turbo your existing I6 au engine
Agreed, this is the most cost effective way of doing things and for the money spent doing the conversion to the BA I6T you could get more power and a better set up turboing the AU I6.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #19
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

goto snort performance.. get them to price up a complete kit minus the turbo/bits you already have
then goto atomic performance and get a full forged bottom end and stronger valve springs etc

and upgrade your fuel system
and get the edit or chuck in aftermarket managment and your sweet for over 400hp at the treads
Old 31-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #20
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

by the time you finish, the guy in the Aurion is going to be taking a different street to you. Who cares about the guy in the Aurion?
Old 31-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #21
The Monty
Just slidin'

350 hp will end up arpund a mid-high 13.