Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
XR4568

Question Working out on road costs - new car

Hi all,

I know i should know this, but I keep forgetting...

My old man works for Ford so I am thinking of using the employee discount and getting either a new upcoming Focus XR5 or an FG Falcon XR6 (maybe Turbo).

Can anyone tell me how you work out the on road costs for a new car? Rego, stamp duty etc.

Also, is $1495 the standard (and bullcr*p) dealer delivery fee?

Just trying to work out an accurate price thats all.

Any assistance would be great...

XR4568 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Stamp duty is different in every state.

eg qld: hybrid = 2% 4cy = 3% 5-6cy = 3.5% 7-8cy+ = 4% calculated on the RRP not the discounted.

Same with rego different for number of cylinders.

Dealer delivery fee isn't that bullcrap. It pays the mech for fitting and predelivering the car, eg fuel ain't free, also pays the admin ladies who do all ya rego crap, and ya transport fee, which can sometimes be up to $500 on car depending on where its coming from.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
XR4568

Thanks hy_boi

I personally would prefer the industry move to drive away pricing to make it easier to compare apples to apples. Ecery car can have a RRP as it does now but dealers can then only advertise drive away prices. Simple and easy.

Still think $1495 is steep. Admin costs should be built in to the margin. $1495 is nothing but a very think layer of cream on top
Old 22-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4568
Hi all,

Also, is $1495 the standard (and bullcr*p) dealer delivery fee?
You should wish that it is only that price dealer delivery fee on the new FG is $1995 and the same price in every state.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
XR4568

Oh FFS...
Old 22-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scary isn't it?
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
XR4568

Ridiculous too...
Old 22-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4568
Thanks hy_boi

I personally would prefer the industry move to drive away pricing to make it easier to compare apples to apples. Ecery car can have a RRP as it does now but dealers can then only advertise drive away prices. Simple and easy.

Still think $1495 is steep. Admin costs should be built in to the margin. $1495 is nothing but a very think layer of cream on top
Buy a VW, it's minimum $3000. However, the car is shipped in from OS.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi

Dealer delivery fee isn't that bullcrap. It pays the mech for fitting and predelivering the car, eg fuel ain't free, also pays the admin ladies who do all ya rego crap, and ya transport fee, which can sometimes be up to $500 on car depending on where its coming from.
Sorry to disagree Hy_Boi but in my opinion dealer delivery is bull crap and a total rip-off. It would not be if the dealers actually did something for that charge, however not one person to date has been able to justify what is done to warrant that charge. Even if the rate was $500.00/Hr would still be hard to justify, especially since more often than not absolutely nothing is done for the PD. See thread here for a more complete discussion: http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=9295
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Negotiate on the dealer delivery fee. I paid $700 for my BA XR6 (mind you they did very little to earn it). I didn't even get charged $1500 for the (BMW) Mini and they did deserve every cent. Subaru was drive away but I got heaps of free stuff as well.

Trick is to go fleet if you can, even those private fleet buyers. Especially if you aren't using the discount. I would check the discount against a private fleet price anyway to make sure you are getting the best deal. Don't forget buying services you may have through your union (union shopper etc) or motoring organisation if a member.
Old 22-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
Sorry to disagree Hy_Boi but in my opinion dealer delivery is bull crap and a total rip-off. It would not be if the dealers actually did something for that charge, however not one person to date has been able to justify what is done to warrant that charge. Even if the rate was $500.00/Hr would still be hard to justify, especially since more often than not absolutely nothing is done for the PD. See thread here for a more complete discussion: http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=9295
I thought RATT had a pretty good crack at it.

I don't think I would have been too impressed in your situation either. My car is due at the end of May and the standard dealer delivery on it is $3500. Thankfully I get a discount through the company I work for which knocked it down to $900. (as well as 10% discount off RRP)

When done correctly and with care, I believe it is worth at least some of the cost that's being asked. Anything can happen to your car on the back of a truck and the dealers aren't running a charity. It's a flat fee. Some cars may arrive in pristine condition and some may require several man hours and possible repairs at the dealers cost.

It would be the first point of call if I was trying to shave off some dollars on a new car deal.
Old 22-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I don't think the dealer delivery fee is entirely bullcrap, but I do feel it should simply be part of the dealer margin, and therefore negotiable.

One thing that is often overlooked by new car purchasers is that when a car is received by the dealer from the factory it is in no state for delivery to a customer. They all need a thorough detail. The paint will have dirt and muck from being transported, this will be aggravated if it has been out in the holding yard for a while. Depending on the car, there will be wax and sealant all over the body, and various packaging materials here there and everywhere. Some may have transport dings and scratches that have to be refinished. Various options, whilst on the original order, may have to be fitted by the dealership. There is usually a list of known issues with various cars that have to be corrected before delivery. These could be anything, from incorrectly tensioned exhaust manifold bolts to electrical connections. All the usual service type things have to be done, like making sure the battery is charged, checking fluid levels, tyre pressures, etc, etc. Somebody has to physically stick the interim (or rego) label on the windscreen and screw on the plates.

It all takes time, and predelivery is a legitimate profit centre for a dealership.

That being said, I believe that the pricing model for new cars is far too complicated. Dealers make their profit on new cars in several ways:

- The margin above factory invoice on a given car

- Holdback - which is effectively a refund of the purchase price of the vehicle, and can vary significantly between similar models, but is typically $500-$1,500 per car

- Factory bonuses, paid to stimulate sales of various models and trim levels from time to time,

Then you've got the profits from rust 'n dust, dealer fitted accessories, finance commisisons, etc.

When you go to buy a new car, the salesman isn't privy to all this stuff. That's one reason why deals have to be approved by the new car manager. At the end of the day, from a buyers perspective, the only numbers that really matter are:

- Driveaway price, and

- if there is a trade-in, changeover amount.

So my advice is, don't get hung up on predelivery costs. They are just part of the total pricing model. Focus on the delivered driveaway price, and get quotes from at least 3 dealers. The following technique has always worked for me:

- Don't visit dealers in person to get a price. Do it by fax and phone. That way you are not going to be affected by the power-plays that form part and parcel of new car sales personnel's training

- Make a conclusive list of your vehicles requirements, including colour, earliest build date (so you don't get stuck with a 2007 plated car), colour, model, accessories, rego type (private or business) etc, etc. Type this up and print it off. Make sure this is final. Dealers will run you in circles if any part of this is variable. This will be what you want to get quotes on.

- Fax your request for a quote to dealer 1, and ask that he fax you a quote. Call this quote #1.

- Fax your request for a quote to dealer 2, and tell him you have been quoted $x by quote 1. He will beat it. Get him to fax it to you. Call this quote #2.

- Fax your request for a quote to dealer 3. Tell dealer 3 you have been quoted $x by quote 2. He will beat it. Get him to fax it to you. Call this quote #3.

- Fax quote # 3 to dealer # 1. Ask him to send you a revised quote. Call this quote #4.

By now you are probably getting close to the final price. But just for good measure fax quote # 4 to dealer # 2 and ask him to send you a revised quote. If he can only beat it by a couple of hundred dollars, or less, you've realistically reached the end of the process.

Last edited by Abacus; 22-04-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #13
Nappa
Impressive...

if you get the ford employee discount then the pricing on the cars is set by Ford Mo Co. You get such a ripper deal already there isnt a huge need to start shopping around.
Old 23-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
if you get the ford employee discount then the pricing on the cars is set by Ford Mo Co. You get such a ripper deal already there isnt a huge need to start shopping around.
Well, that's stating the obvious.

I doubt there are many forum members that will quit their job, go knocking on Ford's door for a job just to get employee discounts on their next car though.
Old 23-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
I don't think the dealer delivery fee is entirely bullcrap, but I do feel it should simply be part of the dealer margin, and therefore negotiable.

One thing that is often overlooked by new car purchasers is that when a car is received by the dealer from the factory it is in no state for delivery to a customer. They all need a thorough detail. The paint will have dirt and muck from being transported, this will be aggravated if it has been out in the holding yard for a while. Depending on the car, there will be wax and sealant all over the body, and various packaging materials here there and everywhere. Some may have transport dings and scratches that have to be refinished. Various options, whilst on the original order, may have to be fitted by the dealership. There is usually a list of known issues with various cars that have to be corrected before delivery. These could be anything, from incorrectly tensioned exhaust manifold bolts to electrical connections. All the usual service type things have to be done, like making sure the battery is charged, checking fluid levels, tyre pressures, etc, etc. Somebody has to physically stick the interim (or rego) label on the windscreen and screw on the plates.

It all takes time, and predelivery is a legitimate profit centre for a dealership.

That being said, I believe that the pricing model for new cars is far too complicated. Dealers make their profit on new cars in several ways:

- The margin above factory invoice on a given car

- Holdback - which is effectively a refund of the purchase price of the vehicle, and can vary significantly between similar models, but is typically $500-$1,500 per car

- Factory bonuses, paid to stimulate sales of various models and trim levels from time to time,

Then you've got the profits from rust 'n dust, dealer fitted accessories, finance commisisons, etc.

When you go to buy a new car, the salesman isn't privy to all this stuff. That's one reason why deals have to be approved by the new car manager. At the end of the day, from a buyers perspective, the only numbers that really matter are:

- Driveaway price, and

- if there is a trade-in, changeover amount.

So my advice is, don't get hung up on predelivery costs. They are just part of the total pricing model. Focus on the delivered driveaway price, and get quotes from at least 3 dealers. The following technique has always worked for me:

- Don't visit dealers in person to get a price. Do it by fax and phone. That way you are not going to be affected by the power-plays that form part and parcel of new car sales personnel's training

- Make a conclusive list of your vehicles requirements, including colour, earliest build date (so you don't get stuck with a 2007 plated car), colour, model, accessories, rego type (private or business) etc, etc. Type this up and print it off. Make sure this is final. Dealers will run you in circles if any part of this is variable. This will be what you want to get quotes on.

- Fax your request for a quote to dealer 1, and ask that he fax you a quote. Call this quote #1.

- Fax your request for a quote to dealer 2, and tell him you have been quoted $x by quote 1. He will beat it. Get him to fax it to you. Call this quote #2.

- Fax your request for a quote to dealer 3. Tell dealer 3 you have been quoted $x by quote 2. He will beat it. Get him to fax it to you. Call this quote #3.

- Fax quote # 3 to dealer # 1. Ask him to send you a revised quote. Call this quote #4.

By now you are probably getting close to the final price. But just for good measure fax quote # 4 to dealer # 2 and ask him to send you a revised quote. If he can only beat it by a couple of hundred dollars, or less, you've realistically reached the end of the process.
Dealer charges do get classified as profit. And it does go toward covering other costs as well. Like I have said a number if times before, dealers do not make money from selling cars. Some prestige/luxury make dealers do but not Ford, Toyota etc.

Also, while you make some valid points, I don't particularly agree with the do everything over the phone/fax/email. This is just a good way to get the ball rolling. If you don't bother going in and actually talking face to face and not to mention, test drive the car you are after, fewer dealers will come back to you with a price. As they know you probably are shopping 4 or 5 other dealers. This is partially why there is a high turnover rate for salespeople in the motor trade.
They go through from one training course to another, drive days, product launches where they are taught how to present the vehicles, test drive etc. And after all that, in some cases they are only dealing with people via email where they go through a dutch auction to sell a car.

It is enough to drive a man to suicide...

Anyway, I won't go into it any further.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #16
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Well, that's stating the obvious.

I doubt there are many forum members that will quit their job, go knocking on Ford's door for a job just to get employee discounts on their next car though.

i was refering to the bloke who started the thread.

As Ratt stated using the fax or email may not get the best results, if the customer wants best price on 3 different spec of cars through a fax, email or phone then we are going to do our best not to give it to them unless they are here face to face.
Old 23-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
i was refering to the bloke who started the thread.
My apologies. Had completely forgotten what the first post was about when it morphed into 'why do we pay so much for dealer delivery'.