Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
ELtim
Six One Eight

Default P Plate Laws In SA

I was looking through my book and wasn't quite sure on something.

If we get caught speeding on or P1's what happens? Is it auto loss of licence? Because one of my mates was telling me that he got caught speeding but was a few clicks short of losing his licence.

I don't believe him though.

Cheers guys. Tim.

BTW, I'm only asking this out of curiosity. I always sit on or below the speed limit. Screw the mates in the back telling me to punch it and screw the impatient guy behind me.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

Damn thats a good attitude..I'm not exactly sure what its like now but when i was on my Ps (1 yr ago) i believed we had a limit of 10kms. Under 10kms its a fine and some points, but not enough to take your license, over 10kms fine and loss of license!

Whether this has changed or not recently with all the recent law changes I'm un-sure of but thats what it used to be. Many people used to say it was 15kms over not 10kms and loss of license, but i was told from an officer directly when on my Ps that it was 10kms, so just always stuck by that!!

2004 BAII XR6T - Lowered, Exhaust, Tint, Flash Tune, K&N Filter..what next? :

PREVIOUS CARS:

2000 Ford Falcon AUII Forte - Exhaust, lowered & tint

MK III Ford Cortina - Completely Stock!
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

7km's over you still get booked. 40km's over loss of license on the spot for ANYONE. not sure for SA but in NSW on your p1's if you get booked speeding you lose your license for 3mths not matter what speed
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
7km's over you still get booked. 40km's over loss of license on the spot for ANYONE. not sure for SA but in NSW on your p1's if you get booked speeding you lose your license for 3mths not matter what speed

Oh ok, I don't think thats the same here in Adelaide cause I've had mates on there Ps who have been done for speeding and only gotten a fine and a few demerits but not loss of license. But like i said the rules might have, and most probably have changed!

You'll most likely get a thousand and one different answers from a forum like this, best of ringing up transport SA or heading over to the web-site!

2004 BAII XR6T - Lowered, Exhaust, Tint, Flash Tune, K&N Filter..what next? :

PREVIOUS CARS:

2000 Ford Falcon AUII Forte - Exhaust, lowered & tint

MK III Ford Cortina - Completely Stock!
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
BAFalconXT
Sold...

You can loose 2 demerits on P1(which isn't hard), and 4 on P2. If you get pulled over it is different, 10km+ over the speed limit is loss of licence.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I thought you could lose 6 on your P2 , then get a letter asking you to choose between 3 month suspension or 0 points for 12 months. in my case I lost 6 points in one hit, and court just said they'll issue me no fines, and i ended up with a letter 2 weeks after court, which im on 0 points with 9 more months.. argh!

I'm pretty sure P2 is the same as standard P license in nsw as in vic(points?), but we have/getting P1 and P2 crap soon.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There were no P1's or 2's when I got mine but I can say that exceeding the speed limit does result in automatic loss of licence if it is a breach of conditions. 100km/h max for P's? Over that = loss of licence.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

As far as how many k's your allowed to go over, it heard it was 10% of any speed limited area not 10kms. i.e. 60km/h = 66kmh/h or 40km/h = 44km/h before getting booked.

I think it was introduced to give those with speedo discrepancies a chance. I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
As far as how many k's your allowed to go over, it heard it was 10% of any speed limited area not 10kms. i.e. 60km/h = 66kmh/h or 40km/h = 44km/h before getting booked.

I think it was introduced to give those with speedo discrepancies a chance. I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me.
I think that varies a bit between states. It used to be 10km, then it was 10%, it seems to be all over the place at the moment. My only speeding ticket in the last 3 years was for 104 in a 100 zone.

However, those are incidences of simply exceeding the posted limit. Exceeding your conditional licence limit is another matter.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
AS-086
Starter Motor

Im sure we all understand that at the end of the day speeding is speeding .. and if you get caught, on your P's its going to be alot harsher than if you're not. I personally draw objection to the NSW P1 90km/h limit .. i still have a copy of my ticket which was 20 over and 3 points (and over $300!) for doing 110km/h on the Hume, which was 110km.h limit! The 90km/h limit can be dangerous at times, with B-Doubles and the like screaming up behind and passing you!
Another point is also linking up the states demerit systems .. i lost my license on the spot in QLD for 60km/h over but it did not affect my Victorian license at all, although i got a 2 year ban from driving in QLD only. The stupid things we do, which we later on regret.
AS-086 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
fmc351
let it burn

I seem to recall a thread here a while back on restrictions etc for SA P platers, as I recall it it was one instance of doing 10km/h or more above the limit and you lose your licence. It was very strict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval

This is a tolerance which is not what the OP was asking about. People who actually care about this 'tolerance' on a daily basis are fools, its a tolerance, its not a 'bonus' scheme.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

not sayin the tolerance is something to rely upon nor is it right to flaunt with the law, but I have accidentally been within that tolerance going thru intersections with speed cameras, freaked out that I got caught and looked in the rear view only to realise I didnt get 'flashed for cash'. Neither did I recieve a ticket in the mail. I call myself lucky, and Im more cautious.

Not that it matters, I think Im heading off topic now. I'll crawl back under my rock :

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Taken from http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen...rovisional.asp

The holder of a P1 Driver's Licence must:

not drive a motor vehicle or attempt to put a motor vehicle in motion when there is any concentration of alcohol in their blood or the presence of THC (Cannabis), Methylamphetamine (Speed) or MDMA (Ecstasy) in their blood or oral fluid.
not drive a motor vehicle at a speed exceeding by 10 km/h or more of any speed limit under the Road Traffic Act, or to exceed the 100 km/h speed limit prescribed under the Motor Vehicles Act
not accumulate 4 or more demerit points during the Provisional Licence period
not drive a motor vehicle on the road unless the prescribed P plates are displayed so as to be clearly visible from the front and rear of the vehicle (rear only for motor cycles)
carry the licence at all times whilst driving .

Also:

You may apply to obtain your P2 licence if you have held your P1 licence for at least 12 months and:

not incurred any demerit points for the last 12 months while holding a P1 licence; or
have successfully completed an approved Driver Awareness Course * if you have incurred 1,2 or 3 demerit points; and
have passed a Hazard Perception Test * - Learn online here: Hazard Perception Site.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #14
krt10
eskyman

i got caught speeding a year ago on my p1's i wont go into too much detail but it was changing from a 80 to a 60 zone and i got done doing 78 just as i entered the 60 zone running it thru the gears. i was at 60 by the time i went past the officer but it was too late. i copped it on the chin as i wass in the wrong and i said i had no excuse when i was asked why i was speeding. the officer was nice enough to let me off with 1 demerit point remaning so i could keep my licence.

im on p2's now and am very careful as i only have one point to last another 2 years