Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default SA speeding ticket for Briton withdrawn

Thursday March 27, 05:21 PM
SA speeding ticket for Briton withdrawn
An Englishman issued a ticket for speeding in the Adelaide Hills has had the fine withdrawn because he's never been in Australia.

David Smart, a 65-year-old former surveyor from Shorpe in northern England, was flabbergasted to receive a speeding ticket from South Australian Police.

ADVERTISEMENT

He was fined $196 for driving 8km/h over the speed limit in Littlehampton in the Adelaide Hills.

SA Police said they issued Mr Smart the ticket after the registered owner of the speeding vehicle, Kathryn Julia Fluin, signed a statutory declaration declaring the Englishman was driving the car at the time of the offence.

"I've never been to Australia, which is a wonderful country I'm sure, and I would love to go there one day," Mr Smart told AAP.

"And I've never had a ticket in my life, I'm pleased to say.

"The woman is obviously mistaken and where she got my name and address from I have no idea."

After consulting with Shorpe police, Mr Smart was advised not to pay the fine, which originally arrived in his letterbox last December.

However he received a stern reminder from SA Police, ordering him to pay up or risk being issued an even heftier fine.

The fine stated the car was caught speeding at 68km/h in a 60km/h zone on Adelaide Road, Littlehampton, at 9am on December 14, 2007.

The fine said Ms Fluin "affirmed in a statutory declaration that you were the driver of the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence".

"I went to my local police station and they advised me against payment because I haven't been there," Mr Smart said.

"I think if I get caught for speeding I'll have to give them Kathryn Fluin's name.

SA Police business services director Denis Patriarca said Mr Smart had been exonerated.

"As the nominated driver has disputed being the driver of the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence, his expiation notice has been withdrawn and police are following up with the registered owner," he said.

Ms Fluin, who couldn't be contacted, is likely to be charged with wilfully making a false statutory declaration, which carries a maximum penalty of four years jail.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/080326/2/169tl.html

ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
fmc351
let it burn

Rofl....
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

? some one pulls a little dodgy on an small speeding fine the sa gov threaten 4 years jail, yet the sa gov pulls dodgy speeding crap fines everyday across hundreds of people and walk away with it, it's a fair and balanced system we have.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, but declaring false information on a statutory declaration has absolutely nothing to do with speeding fines.
Old 27-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

speeding 8 Ks over is not the worst thing you could do. commiting a deliberate criminal act of fraud is far worse . a stautory declaration is exactly that you are declareing to the police or court that the contents of the declaration is correct to the best of your knowledge. this person knowingly declared that a person who has never been in this country was driving at the time in an attempt to defraud the state. so the possibility of 4 years is not an "over reaction to a speeding fine" it is prosecution for a criminal offence
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
? some one pulls a little dodgy on an small speeding fine the sa gov threaten 4 years jail, yet the sa gov pulls dodgy speeding crap fines everyday across hundreds of people and walk away with it, it's a fair and balanced system we have.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
Thursday March 27, 05:21 PM

He was fined $196 for driving 8km/h over the speed limit in Littlehampton in the Adelaide Hills.
Thats a bit hefty for 8k's over in NSW its $77
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
BHDOGS
Banned

yeh here in sa it used to be 10-14kms over was 150....a few years back and now its still marked as 10-14kms over (even thou u can be caught doing 68 go figure)
it says its 176 for the fine plus 20 bucks for victims of crime levy....
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

lol.. this is awesome, i mean the fact you can nominate someone overseas as the driver, gives me ideas... :P not that i'll ever have to use that idea.... :P
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

A false Stat Dec is tantamount to Perjury (in Vic its the same thing), that's why the POSSIBLE jail term is 4 years. Its not about the speeding, its about lying in the stat dec.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
coolelxr
Starter Motor

This reminds me of the case currently in the NSW Supreme court about a former judge claiming his car was driven by a friend from the USA...only problem was they had passed away prior to the incident, so he blamed it on someone else.