Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
fangq

Default How is traffic infringement data handled ?

Just wondering how infringement data is handled and utilized by the powers that be in a positive way..aka data mining.

For example..ticket issued eg exceeding speed limit. Data is collated and I would assume impacts on some sort of report for the region.There may be a spike in speeding offences for a certain zone, and thus more police manpower resources are allocated to the area.

What I would like to know is whether statistical spikes are analyzed to see WHY there is a sudden anomaly. For example..is there a speed advisory sign that is obscured ;are tourists confused when entering/exiting varying speed zones..I think you all get the gist.

I wonder how the following proposal would fly. IF a zone does have a spike in road offences, send a questionaire out to people who have signed off on the offence, and query them as to why it happened. Voluntary answers, but any reply goes into a draw to redeem a point. If the data collated does show that there is some sort of problem with the road in question, it could then be addressed.

Just a thought.

Steve

fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would never fly as it won't bring in any increased revenue.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool

That's a good idea, but I don't think it would fly... see above.

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
It would never fly as it won't bring in any increased revenue.
Cynical, but probably all too true.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No really, not at all cynical. Just real life truth.
For e.g. this easter break NSW decided to go with high visibility policing where every available highway patrol was on the road during the break. Result: Zero road toll. Not one death. Lowest ever recorded. and the lowest ever number of speeding fines. RTA response: Nothing. nada. Just weasel words trying to talk about how there were not many cars on the road due to high petrol prices and such. And Mr Rosenthal (Spelling?) let it slip that the extra police presence indicated some spots in the country that "people were speeding therefore would be looked at for extra speed cameras" .
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
VSSII

Nothing different was done by the police this year to any other year. Whatever the RTA may have said. Whilst it's a credit there were no fatalaties the lack of tickets may have had something to do with the fact it rained quite a bit in the heavily populated NSW areas.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post