Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford to revive rear-wheel drive in U.S.

Found this on detnews.com

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...803240338/1148

I love the way they say there isn't any money to be saved in doing the development here (presumably due to the currency situation).

Question...

If you spend US$3billion developing something that I could do for US$2billion - does that not represent a saving??? Just goes to show that some people just don't learn...

Here's my prediction... Next falc will no doubt be some soft-as pig that only handles in a straight line and steers like an oil tanker... :

imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it may not be developed/produced here but most of the Ford Oz team will be working on it, weather that be in the states or here.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
it may not be developed/produced here but most of the Ford Oz team will be working on it, weather that be in the states or here.
That may be true, but no doubt the American heads will have the final say. And they tend to be rather shortsighted, arrogant and unable to accept advice when it comes to their products shortcomings.
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970XW351
That may be true, but no doubt the American heads will have the final say. And they tend to be rather shortsighted, arrogant and unable to accept advice when it comes to their products shortcomings.
lol i think you just summed up the american population in one sentence :

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan_ford
lol i think you just summed up the american population in one sentence :
But all of the FoMoCo brass is an awe of the FG. Mullally was reported to (although not false) be getting an G6ET as his company car. I think Australia will have very close ties to this car (as it will have some similarities to the FG platform), but whether it is developed here or in the USA we don't know. I know Ford won't let us go backwards in terms of suspensions or drivetrains (Except for the V6), no matter where the car is developed. I expect Mustang with IRS.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford developing new rear-drive platform in Dearborn

If this news is correct, then looks like next gen Falcon is going back home so to speak and will be based on American designed platform. News story from Autoblog.

Ford has apparently finally heard the call and green-lighted development of a new global rear wheel drive platform and a family of vehicles to be built on it. However, unlike General Motors, Ford will not rely on its Australian division to do the heavy lifting. Since the collapse of the U.S. dollar has made the United States a low cost country, the development of the new platform has been moved back to Dearborn. The most recent attempt at a rear-drive architecture that debuted on the latest Australian Ford Falcon was something of a debacle for the company. Unlike Holden, which designed its RWD Zeta platform to be built in right- and left-hand-drive versions, the new Falcon platform is right-hand drive only. This new Ford architecture to be developed near Detroit, however, will spawn models for both the Ford and Lincoln brands, including an all-new Mustang. With Ford making a major push to reduce weight in future models, hopefully these new cars will come in a lot lighter than the GM equivalents, as well.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #7
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will be interesting to see how this all pans out.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 03:51 AM   #8
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
If this news is correct, then looks like next gen Falcon is going back home so to speak and will be based on American designed platform. News story from Autoblog.
The Falcon after the FG will be heavily shared with the Ford US development.
You cant sell 3000 cars a month and keep spending multi millions on development.
The rear wheel design will be a global platform, the V6 engine is from the US and possibly the auto will be too.
I haven't heard a code name for the next Falcon has anyone?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See here...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11214443
Old 25-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Thanks thread is now been merged.

Quote:
Here's my prediction... Next falc will no doubt be some soft-as pig that only handles in a straight line and steers like an oil tanker... :
We 1st must hope that this one FG does well, its a changing market they say Ford spend plenty on this FG Falcon so they need a decent return......fuel and running costs have made big car owners look twice at where there money goes.

Same deal for Ford they must evaluate were there development money is best spent if people are not buying a 6cyl Falcon, then development money is better spent in the small car sector more so with 4cyl Focus production starting in a couple of years at Broadmeadows.
We may not like our Falcon having a US influence, this will be needed to keep costs down on the declining big car market.

PS: even my dad just ordered an 2008 Focus.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford US have already tried killing off the Falcon without success so this is another way to do and you know it will work. For some reason they just can't handle that we build better cars than what they do
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #12
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

(My repost from the FG/Orion Hub forum)

Great. Last time we had american input on the style we wound up with this. The biggest disaster for FoA of all time.

Sorry to all you AU fans, nothing personal, but it didn't sell.

Now the yanks have input on our engine, we lose out torquey I6.

Now we are going to let them give us a RWD platform? Where their current "hero" RWD is based on a live axle rear end? Sure it will be upgraded, but how long will it languish for in the newer design? If I hang on to my current car for a while, then it looks like my next car will most likely be a holden! It'll be more aussie than the "huntsman" at this rate.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing

Great. Last time we had american input on the style we wound up with this. The biggest disaster for FoA of all time.

Now the yanks have input on our engine, we lose out torquey I6.

Now we are going to let them give us a RWD platform? Where their current "hero" RWD is based on a live axle rear end? Sure it will be upgraded, but how long will it languish for in the newer design? If I hang on to my current car for a while, then it looks like my next car will most likely be a holden! It'll be more aussie than the "huntsman" at this rate.
And again...FFS they are not having input into the styling, the story was all about the engineering of Fords new global RWD platform. Get over the AUs styling! It was two generations ago! I read an interview with Mullaly where (he was admittedly sketchy on what was happening with the platform at that time) he said Ford Oz would have complete control over the next Falcons interior and exterior styling.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

I'm now waiting for a post about how the Taurus was introduced to kill the Falcon...

The last time this all came up last year I flagged that FoA would not be the development hub for the next platform. I wouldn't stress though, the platform will no doubt be quite adaptable to suit our market.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
And again...FFS they are not having input into the styling, the story was all about the engineering of Fords new global RWD platform. Get over the AUs styling! It was two generations ago! I read an interview with Mullaly where (he was admittedly sketchy on what was happening with the platform at that time) he said Ford Oz would have complete control over the next Falcons interior and exterior styling.
My point wasn't about the styling, my point was the effect of American interference.

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

175.6 rwkw

Old 25-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
My point wasn't about the styling, my point was the effect of American interference.
This time, American influence means we get to keep the Falcon well in to the future, and all the perks of sharing a platform across the world.
Old 25-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
This time, American influence means we get to keep the Falcon well in to the future, and all the perks of sharing a platform across the world.
That's true, Im not disputing that. It's just a shame that the platform isn't being designed here as GM are doing. I know it would be a "global" platform, but you can't tell me that the country developing it will have it somewhat tailored to suit there own market?

Not to a huge degree, but I can see Ford America ignoring what the rest of the world (and us here in Aus) want. As opposed to Holden which has the ability to have greater influence, as they are designing the damn thing here!

I'm just a bit bitter about the Falcon getting less Aussie by the month. Now the commo really will be more Aussie.

Falcon - Yank engine, yank designed global platform, aussie designed interior/exterior
Commodore - Yank engine, aussie designed global platform, aussie designed interior/exterior

175.6 rwkw

Old 25-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

And I still stand by my concern over the potential risk to RWD platform development in the future. A company where their hero sports car (that can be bought by the average Joe) still has an old-tech rear end and are only now getting to the stage where IRS will be fitted? Would YOU trust the falcon's future in that sort of investment?

Sure, it could go fantastic. But what if the venture isn't as successful as anticipated? We could be stuck with the same platform/technology for God knows how long as the US doesn't want to invest in any further improvements as it cannot justify it based on US markets.

Bah, either way I'll hope for the best. Not like we have much say anyway!

175.6 rwkw

Old 25-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #19
tbearz

stupid americans grrrr they me off.....Ford NA make NO GOOD CARS, flex, focus are all fridges with wheels :S They all suck, no wonder they keep losing sales, yes everyone else is aswell but they are losing a larger percentage!!!

Ford Europe keeps kicking *** making cars people actually want!!! and Ford Aus does as well as it can with what it is given but the stupid ignorant americans just go hey my *** is getting fatter lets build a new crown vic that can fit another burger munching drive through moron in it with 10000 cup holders so can they can sip 100L of "Soda" on a road trip from thier house to the mall..GRRR

Why can't Ford wake up and smell the cheese its not that hard, if holden can build the world class zeta platform, why can ford australia be allowed to do it, they are the experts in rwd!!! Gees this sh!ts me to tears more aussie jobs going i guess..... sure we will still have the falcon but its going to be more US than AUS :(
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #20
irlewy86
Meep Meep

The road to hell is paved with accountants.

Apparently Ford is well on its way.
Old 25-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #21
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I simply don't understand how they think they can do a better job, more economically than FoA. From a business perspective, it makes no sense...

Why not structure things so that each major market focuses on their strengths?Europe - FWD, AUS - RWD, USA - I'll let you know when I think of one...
Old 25-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #22
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Quote:

Tool !

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #23
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
I simply don't understand how they think they can do a better job, more economically than FoA. From a business perspective, it makes no sense...

Why not structure things so that each major market focuses on their strengths?Europe - FWD, AUS - RWD, USA - I'll let you know when I think of one...
Easy,

EUROPE - FWD
AUS - RWD
USA - Pick - Ups, SUV's, Global Hybrid drives.
Old 25-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
That's true, Im not disputing that. It's just a shame that the platform isn't being designed here as GM are doing. I know it would be a "global" platform, but you can't tell me that the country developing it will have it somewhat tailored to suit there own market?

Not to a huge degree, but I can see Ford America ignoring what the rest of the world (and us here in Aus) want. As opposed to Holden which has the ability to have greater influence, as they are designing the damn thing here!

I'm just a bit bitter about the Falcon getting less Aussie by the month. Now the commo really will be more Aussie.

Falcon - Yank engine, yank designed global platform, aussie designed interior/exterior
Commodore - Yank engine, aussie designed global platform, aussie designed interior/exterior
You really think GM will give Holden another billion dollars when the time comes to engineer the next all new Commodore? The Commodore will go down the same path as Falcon, its inevitable. Re: old tech in Yank cars, Ford have seen the light and will spend wisely on a sophisticated RWD platform for global use, rather than waste money on several dud platforms.

Ford Oz will gain much more from this arrangement than it will lose.
Old 25-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #25
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Easy,

EUROPE - FWD
AUS - RWD
USA - Pick - Ups, SUV's, Global Hybrid drives.
In a perfect world that would work a treat!
Old 25-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #26
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Its not the first time Ford USA, has mucked its foreign divisions around.

The old DEW98 Platform was initially designed by Jaguar, then absolutely butchered by Ford US. It was a big blunder and was ultimately only used on Jag S-type, Lincoln LS & Thunderbird and in modified form under XF.

Cant trust the yanks to make a decent RWD platform, the only decent RWD cars in the US are either Panther platform from the 1970s or Chrysler LX which is old Merc E-class.

This is nasty news.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

alot of people seem to be american bashing and not fully understanding the situation.

-The global RWD platform will use Au imput, Ford US know that we have got it sorted, they are using our knowlage of RWD dynamics to improve thier cars

-Falcon built on a global platform insures the future of the falcon.

-The fact that cars such as the GT500 will share simmiler platforms can only be a good sign for FPV...

-...And then there is Americas huge aftermarket support, even better for us Falcon fans.

-People seem to think that Aus will get a import Falcon, the way i see it Ford Aus will still build cars, including giving them a Aussi face lift

-The Final Au design was Australian, (Ok, it had american imput, but so does every falcon buil)

-Ford US didn't just kill the I6 for the sake of it, refer to piont 2, Its more economical for Ford globaly, and helped save the falcon

Alot of negative post here seem to lack some thought. Ford US know that they havn't got a good grip with RWD cars, so they came to australia for answers.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #28
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Ford US know that they havn't got a good grip with RWD cars, so they came to australia for answers.
I smell bulls**t. If we really are the "world experts in RWD" in Ford, then why are we just getting "input" to the project? Why give the job to someone who is less competent, with less experience, and only use the experts for "input"?

I don't totally buy the financial sense arguement. The amount of time/research they would need to spend simply to catch up to us wouldn't be insignificant. Another case of "America knows best".

I'm a young engineer, and even I know that "input" to a project is a far, far way from running it and being able to make any real decisions.

175.6 rwkw

Old 25-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #29
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
I smell bulls**t. If we really are the "world experts in RWD" in Ford, then why are we just getting "input" to the project? Why give the job to someone who is less competent, with less experience, and only use the experts for "input"?

I don't totally buy the financial sense arguement. The amount of time/research they would need to spend simply to catch up to us wouldn't be insignificant. Another case of "America knows best".

I'm a young engineer, and even I know that "input" to a project is a far, far way from running it and being able to make any real decisions.
Falcon is but one of many (American) cars that will be built off this platform, so yes its the yanks' call there. You don't think that Aussie engineers (and their data) can get the yanks up to speed? and for a minimal amount of dollars?
Old 25-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #30
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So, basically Ford plan to grab our designers and research and transplant them into better facilities in the US with a bigger budget and more resources and staff to tweak our RWD platform into one that can manufactured easily in both left and right hand drive? And that platform would then become the basis for both the Falcon and the Mustang and whatever other countries prefer a RWD?

Makes sense to me.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post