Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
mad cow
blue oval addict

Default ballarat swap meet

who went to the ballarat swap meet and how did you fare? i managed to move my very frozen rear around every site, which made for a nice nine hour walk (damn my legs are sore) it was all worth it though as i got a lot of bits for the xt and a few other little trinkets for the shed. ballarat has to be the best swap meet in oz by far.

mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don`t think i have been to Ballarat swapmeet where is it located and is it on tommorow?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

I planned on going but i worked instead. : I know where id rather be.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
89 S-PACK

i didnt go.... had to work on fri and the weather today was looking horrible so i thought maybe next year when i have a chance to save some $$ to go

and i had no $$$ this year and i wasnt going alone either.
its only a 30 min drive for me to ballarat.
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
don`t think i have been to Ballarat swapmeet where is it located and is it on tommorow?
Was on Friday and Saturday http://www.ballarat.com/swapmeet/index.htm as it is every year. Located at the Ballarat Airport. It's the largest swap meet in the southern hemisphere.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
STK-XR8

bloody good swap meet walked out empty wallet but full hands and some great bargins
agree one of the best swap meet by far
from last week down at torquay surfing enjoying the sun to this week freezing my a$s off , looks like melb weather is coming back

next year is going to be interesting was told by a stall holder that stall prices are going up considerably and will be on only for friday and sat, same as this year,
also they have to be totaly cleared off there site/s by 2:00 pm on sunday

to those that went how much was entry we paid $10 each thought it was a bit steep but didnt see any signs of entry prices
STK-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
mad cow
blue oval addict

yeah the entry fee was a little on the steep side. if they have to finish by 2pm they will stuff the whole meet as there will not be enough time to get all the way around in a day. they also need to bring back the sunday and even drop the friday to give the punters a better chance. but most importantly they need to have a bottle shop opened until a decent hour as a mans not a camel.
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK-XR8
bloody good swap meet walked out empty wallet but full hands and some great bargins
agree one of the best swap meet by far
from last week down at torquay surfing enjoying the sun to this week freezing my a$s off , looks like melb weather is coming back

next year is going to be interesting was told by a stall holder that stall prices are going up considerably and will be on only for friday and sat, same as this year,
also they have to be totaly cleared off there site/s by 2:00 pm on sunday

to those that went how much was entry we paid $10 each thought it was a bit steep but didnt see any signs of entry prices
What did you end up with ?
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
buickman
buickman

Most had packed and gone by 6.30pm today crowds down on last year.
A couple of fair prices XC ute from S.A $2.500 and V8 LH/X Torana for the same plus the usual characters that have been going for years drinking dressed up as spraypainters and blasting Devo out of the stereo's. I think they just go up there every year to drink and dance.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
recoil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went down and back on Friday, and my legs are still sore. Its a huge day with plenty of bargains. My favourite pick up was a pair of Victor lawnmower outboard motors. I had heard about these but had never actually seen one. The unusual things about these are they use a standard lawnmower engine,that is air cooled, and there is on external prop, (jet propelled).
The other bargain i should have bought but didn't, was a complete 9in diff for $280.

recoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
hankscorpio

yeah I was there early Sat for about four hours - I've been going every year since the late 90's and I don't think I'll bother next year. There's just not much good stuff being sold there anymore - everyone put's their good stuff on ebay to get top$$ and the stuff you see at swaps these days is mainly junk.

Also, there were way more empty or near empty sites than I've seen there before and for them to increase the entry to $10 is poor form considering the number of people they get through the gate - and no, there were no signs indicating the entry costs.
hankscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
XYLINC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I made the trip and picked up a few good items, not many bargains but XY gear is getting harder to get all the time. I was prepared to pay near ebay prices, save the postage and physically see the item before handing over the hard earned $$$. Picked up a pair of mint front blinker housings, v8 air cleaner with flared snorkel, various body trims and mouldings, couple of pairs of power by ford rocker covers, yellow top coil, hi-low horns, mint original wheel trims etc etc All in all a good trip!
XYLINC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Was on Friday and Saturday http://www.ballarat.com/swapmeet/index.htm as it is every year. Located at the Ballarat Airport. It's the largest swap meet in the southern hemisphere.
thanks mate looks like i`ll catch it next year lol :(
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went down on friday, i have been there everytime for the last 3-4 years, and i was highley disapointed, compared to the years before where there was a slight chance of grabbing a bargin this year i found there was nothing... the only thing i got was a 1:18 cobra for a good price but thats it...

most decent things i found (not for only xr-xc but for torana's aswell) was all at top price

didnt think much of it at all but my calf muscles are still aking today

IMO
XR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in Ballarat Thursday and Friday for a training seminar and went past for a look, it was bloody massive. Near impossible to get acomodation even a few weeks ago. We were staying in a motel about 20k's out of Ballarat and we were bloody luck to get that.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Never been but I would like to go one yr, it's a shame they have it on a Fri, when a lot off people have to work, and there's no use going on the Sat as all the bargain's have long gone.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #17
Wave_Man

i was up there saturday and i heard about this, didn't know any real details tho, I thought it was at the show grounds, i went there and nothing... Know i know what i missed out on, I've never been to any before... :(
So these only are on once a Year???

3.45LSD, superlows, shorten shocks, 7" in dash screen, Media Player, Shift Kit(6-stage)...

next up, exhaust
Wave_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post