Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NBC will do a US version of Top Gear

Not sure if this has been covered, but along with an Aussie version of Top Gear, there will be a US version. I just hope its somebody like Jay Leno who is the main host. Loves cars, good personality and funny. Plus he is already on NBC. That's the second new car show by NBC, along with Knight Rider

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/16...l-it-be-in-hd/

It would be great to be able to watch all 3 versions, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Would still be a try hard version of the real thing, just like the aussie version will be. Remember, that the reason the show works so well is because of people like clarkson, who are so politically incorrect that the show gets up all the wowsers and minority groups in a funny way. Just look at the commercials and censorship in the USA to gauge what kind of nonsense they won't allow; every medicine advertised is followed with 30-60 seconds of disclaimers. Also, when they showed the original in the USA they had to go back to the studio and rerecord some parts to not offend the americans. I guess the best comparison would be the original version of "the office" next to the crappy american version.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I dont know, i think the yanks might be able to pull this one off for once.

Insanely large budgets & a desire to ignore common sense might work- As long as they dont turn into an infomercial, i think it has more potental than the Australian show.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Remember, that the reason the show works so well is because of people like clarkson, who are so politically incorrect that the show gets up all the wowsers and minority groups in a funny way..
Since i first posted this thread, i have read that it is highly possible it could be Leno. It would be much worse if Jay Leno tried to copy Clarkson's British politically incorrect humour than to just be himself, and be funny in his own way. I think it will be a good show in it's own right if NBC fully fund it, and Jay hosts it. I am more worried about Aussie Top Gear... I can't think of a person I would want hosting it, especially not Glen Ridge. It better not be Falcons and Commodores every week LOL
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

Seinfelds (sp?) into cars too, or is he just a Porsche nut.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

For people with Foxtel, how good is Rides? Similar type show and Jay Lenno has been involved in a few shows. Chip has as well.

IMO the americans could pull it off BETTER than the poms!

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post