Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-12-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default A better auto box to replace this au joke?

Yep...I am changing auto boxes more than I change tyres. These boxes are ridiculous!! 1st auto box changed under warranty with standard converter,second box blew and now third box is slipping. The stallie is 2500rpm unit and runs a cooler. I am changing 2 gear boxes for every set of tyres..

Is there anything I can do to keep this car on the road. Is there another electronic auto box which is better than this borg warner pile of reconstituted aluminium cans ? In the old days in the wreckers which I worked for a while we sold alot of borg warners due to failure and minimum c4 boxes. Now , today ..what options do we have? Can this box even be made to be reliable? Has ford got a decent auto box anymore? Can I import a tough auto from the states ? I love my wagon now..it is a monster and far cry from the crap heap it was released from the dealerships.Driving my wifes camry gives me withdrawal symptoms...

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

The old saying goes You play, You pay. My old BTR is still in great nick and gives awesome gear changes. Maybe try getting the auto built to handle to extra power you are putting out, Ford didn't build your car modded so there was no need for them to slot in an auto that could handle that power. Any good Auto trans place can build you a tough reliable auto, Caspers is a perfect example.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Maybe I do too many killometres for the setup? Maybe I will get something a little better.
It gets annoying thats all. I would like to think there is a box that will last on my car rather than a barbie playhouse...Can it be done..?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 09-12-2007, 03:06 AM   #4
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Have they all just been standard boxes? If so, sounds like you might be expecting a bit too much if you're driving them hard, doing heaps of kays, putting out a little bit of power, and adding lots of heat via a stallie (even with a trans cooler, it will still be hotter than standard).
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Maybe I do too many killometres for the setup? Maybe I will get something a little better.
It gets annoying thats all. I would like to think there is a box that will last on my car rather than a barbie playhouse...Can it be done..?
I'm sure it can but mine does a lot of kays too, 50k a year, and I give it a hard time. Kevlar bands etc will cost you short term but in the long run you will save. Either that or a T56 conversion.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:09 AM   #6
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Stav, these boxes went into Maserati's. They are certainly NOT a barbie playhouse. Taxi's do 350,000 km + with these things no worries at all.

At the end of they day, unless you're prepared to upgrade the internals of your BTR commensurate with your mods, you're just going to hold the Guinness Book of Records for most BTR97LE's blown.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:14 AM   #7
Stav
Smile

Maybe I am a bit tough on these things? I dont know? What are the mazzerattis using now?Maybe they are using something better?heheh

Old 09-12-2007, 03:20 AM   #8
Stav
Smile

Kevlar bands..what else can we do?I might put some effort into finding a great box builder and go from there.I might talk to some local boys here which build transmissions for wsid with transbrakes and the works. I want it to be manualised and still have full auto mode in drive...

Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 AM   #9
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
you're just going to hold the Guinness Book of Records for most BTR97LE's blown.
I hope there is a cash prize for it..

Old 09-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #10
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't mean to come across as rude, however... I'm new to Fords and even I, upon reading your first post, came to the conclusion that you really need to have a box built specifically to handle the way you use it.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Whilst I think these autos feel like absolute crap in standard from, they are more than strong enough for a 200rwkw 6 pack.
They are fitted behind BA XR6 turbos, which will put more strain on them than any NA I6 ever will.

Just get a decent one to start with, have it tricked up further, and it will last a long time.

Rick.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well my new box feels great and it was behind 450rwhp of HOTDBZ's new owners turbo motor and was rebuilt to handle the power by a place up at toowoomba
its running a 2800 stall and a gazzillion custom bits

have a search for Raw Automotive at Dalby(he owned the box before me and is who got it built)
his name is HotRod on the forum

good luck mate
Old 09-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
sly
Sly like a G6

Stav,

Some months ago Mechan1k PM'd me the details of a box builder in Sydney who sounds like he can do what you need. The box Mechan1k has now was built by this place and is said to be good for around 300kW at the flywheel. Details are:
Quote:
OK ... they have a website.
www.allstatestrans.com.au

The workshop i went to is the Parramatta one:

81 Grose Street
Parramatta NSW 2150
(02) 9630 7704

It's on the eastern side of Parramatta ... just off Victoria Rd.

Ask for Tony (I think that was his name) .... and mention you are after an auto rebuild ... the same that Joe at Crescent Motors gets him to build.
Give them a call and see if they can help.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

are you limited to ford boxe's?
power glide, torque flight, hydro~350,400,700
dellow's at revesby will have the bell to suit
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Since the edit more auto's go to pieces, removing all the truncations off the auto software in the pursuit of speed and firm shifts kills them.
Hamo's AU done over 100 1/4 mile passes run 150rwkw 2500rpm high stall car is now in new owners hands 200,000 klm and still going, I believe because this car has never had the edit so the truncations remain on the auto for protection, also a very big a$$ed auto trans cooler helps.
Same deal on my BA XR8 done approx 250- 1/4 mile passes same auto...
Stav there is automatic trans builder doing a conversion for the BA-6 to fit an old school C6 behind, wont be cheap.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
are you limited to ford boxe's?
power glide, torque flight, hydro~350,400,700
dellow's at revesby will have the bell to suit
Why would you consider these options when there are already bellhousing to match a C10 behind th 4.0 I6?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #17
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Why would you consider these options when there are already bellhousing to match a C10 behind th 4.0 I6?
i think the 2speed is a better option for 1/4 mile running
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #18
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i think the 2speed is a better option for 1/4 mile running
maybe in a 1000hp 8 sec car they are..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #19
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and who would want to put up with a 2sp in day to day driving.. as i believe thats what MOST of us use our cars for..

i think if you get the RIGHT guy to build your box.. your set with the BTRs..
if the WRONG guy builds it.. its just as weak as the day it left the factory
Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just spend all the money at one time building a tough box instead of spending it in dribs and drabs replacing standard ones that are not up to the extra work you are making them do
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #21
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Stav, these boxes went into Maserati's. They are certainly NOT a barbie playhouse. Taxi's do 350,000 km + with these things no worries at all.

At the end of they day, unless you're prepared to upgrade the internals of your BTR commensurate with your mods, you're just going to hold the Guinness Book of Records for most BTR97LE's blown.
I would tend to agree the stock internals are not up to how you use your car contact some transmission performance builders like this guy in Sydney to get some prices and what internals to suit your car. Do you have a LARGE trans cooler on your car.

http://www.alsraceglides.com.au/contactus.html
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #22
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try Stone Racing Transmissions (08)9437-1526 they are in W.A but there build bullet proof C4,s that bolt into just about anything and they do all sorts on g-boxes mate.....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Stav,

Some months ago Mechan1k PM'd me the details of a box builder in Sydney who sounds like he can do what you need. The box Mechan1k has now was built by this place and is said to be good for around 300kW at the flywheel. Details are:

Give them a call and see if they can help.
Stav .. this is the place Joe got the box for my work ute.
It is the same box that is in a EF Fairmont GHIA running a well tuned 347 and laughing gas ... the owner drives it like he stole it ... all day everyday ... still drives perfectly.

I asked Joe the other day what was done to it ...as he specified for the builder to make it strong ... from what I was told it is V8 auto internals ... kevlar bands ... and the S5 solenoid was replaced with an adjustable item so you can change shift firmness.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #24
Stav
Smile

Sorry guys didnt see the last couple of posts until today.I ahve booked the car in to a guy in Paramatta who insisted the stock recoed box will be ok.He is giving 3 years warranty and knows of my mods. I might drop allstates a call to see if I can get a monster box for the au.I love the au.Resale value is shocking so its going with me for the long haul. I may talk to allstates today for a tougher box.

I know why my boxes have blown up.First one was the stocker with stock car.Warranty replaced it.The second blew because my shift kit stuffed the rear main seal and eventually the box died.Third box was a second hand jobbie as it happened unexpectedly and didnt have a spare 2k at the time.

Now the box has a week left in it if I am lucky and take it easy.I will call allstates

Old 11-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #25
Stav
Smile

I am all excited its booked.Kevlar bands better clutches should be good for some years to come and with a 3year warranty. The hi stall will also be opened ,cleaned and restored to reco status as well. Hopefully will stay reliable.
None of my past auto boxes had been edited whatsoever.My tuner hadn't played with the auto so we left it alone.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #26
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
I am all excited its booked.Kevlar bands better clutches should be good for some years to come and with a 3year warranty. The hi stall will also be opened ,cleaned and restored to reco status as well. Hopefully will stay reliable.
None of my past auto boxes had been edited whatsoever.My tuner hadn't played with the auto so we left it alone.

I want a drive
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
I want a drive
Hahah no worries.Your drive the other day was with a slipping box.You looked like you had fun.

Yesterday i thought I would be stranded on the m4 motorway.Today with grandpa driving I go through the day.Tommorow is a big day.Concord to chullora to Potts point and then to Bella Vista.I hope she lasts till Friday..

Old 11-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Hahah no worries.Your drive the other day was with a slipping box.You looked like you had fun.

Yesterday i thought I would be stranded on the m4 motorway.Today with grandpa driving I go through the day.Tommorow is a big day.Concord to chullora to Potts point and then to Bella Vista.I hope she lasts till Friday..
Stav - to save the box, just drop it to second and leave it there up to about 80km/h. If you travel more than 80, then shift it up into 3. If you avoid the TC locking up, it should be easier on the box in terms of less shifts.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #29
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Stav - to save the box, just drop it to second and leave it there up to about 80km/h. If you travel more than 80, then shift it up into 3. If you avoid the TC locking up, it should be easier on the box in terms of less shifts.
Ok mate will do.Also if the clutches are gone in 4th then hopefully the car will drive in third.Once third goes then hopefully second will get me through.If second goes then first is left.If first goes then I better check if it is illegal to drive a car in reverse all the way home?If I drive carefully in reverse then maybe it will be ok?Hehehm :

Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Ok mate will do.Also if the clutches are gone in 4th then hopefully the car will drive in third.Once third goes then hopefully second will get me through.If second goes then first is left.If first goes then I better check if it is illegal to drive a car in reverse all the way home?If I drive carefully in reverse then maybe it will be ok?Hehehm :
As I understand it, 2nd and 4th are on the same planetary gear set, so if you are having trouble mostly with 4th, then using 2nd won't be much help either - perhaps you would be better in 3 all the way.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post