Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
amlohac

Default Transmission dead... AGAIN

Me thinks its time to vent.

After taking my focus back to Ford here in Albury so many times i have lost count stating there is something very seriously wrong with my car. After They either kept telling me there is no problem or fixing various things they claimed "needed to be fixed" ranging from spark plugs to entire pistons and sensors in the transmission i finally went in and said that my CAT was broken and to tell me how much to fix it. So they call me up and say "your CAT is broken", ha really no ... then they proceeded, to tell me that it was $2500 for a new one, i nearly killed them told them to jam it where it fits went and got a 2 1/4 inch high flow installed for $500. How the hell do they get away with that?

SO im half way up to falls creek, its ****ING down with snow and guess what? NOTHING HAS BEEN FIXED! The car started to rev like it is in neutral when it gets above 80kms/h cant get into 4th, had to limp the car back to albury and into ford. Some not so nice words were then exchanged.

The problem?
110,000kms and my SECOND auto transmission is going to be installed. Conveniently this one is just out of warranty, so ILL have to foot the frigging bill this time. I have no idea on how much this will cost, no doubt alot more than a CAT. I now hate my car, i want it to go very far away and never come back it has been nothing but a heap of crap from day one.

There must be something very wrong with '02 build Focus', Something VERY wrong, as i read on other forums from the states and they all have the same problem. Does anyone else here have problems with theirs?

amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
FRA
Mr Focus

What model is your Focus?
Sounds like your auto transmission is lock into overdrive, Ford can fix that.
Make sure you get Ford or whoever is working on your Focus that you need new auto transmission fluid and you'll need 3L and it's $28 or $29

We haven't had a problem with the auto transmission but, we had other problem like drive side door wouldn't close and bad km's on fuel.

Only time I go to Ford is when I need the code for the CD player, ECU problem transmission fluid.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

If its only just out of warranty, i would press them to speak to ford to get them to pay for some of it.

The dealer did that for me and saved me quite a lot when my car died earlier this year
Old 04-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
If its only just out of warranty, i would press them to speak to ford to get them to pay for some of it.

The dealer did that for me and saved me quite a lot when my car died earlier this year
Agreed especially if its been replaced before...
Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

yahuh.. if the car has already had its transmission replaced and its just out of warranty im sure you could argue that the problem has been there when the car was in warranty and has only just compounded to the point where it broke when it was out of warranty...

i read someware that one of the falcon dudes had a problem with his car.. that like a month out of warranty or so and the gearbox went, he went in and said that this problem could not happen in 1 month...and therefore must have been present while the car was in warranty... basically saying that there was something wrong with the car while in warranty and the car was not opperating withing there guidelines or whatever.. he had to eventually escelate it to a higher person.. prob manager or area manager or sumthing.. then they acknowledged it and fixed it...but he did do it in a diplomatic way.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
Sounds like your auto transmission is lock into overdrive, Ford can fix that.
In all seriousness, How can it be locked into overdrive? It would almost stall then all the time, not rev the crap out of itself... Most likely an automatic clutch failure, or bearing failure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
If its only just out of warranty, i would press them to speak to ford to get them to pay for some of it. The dealer did that for me and saved me quite a lot when my car died earlier this year
Im sure they will fix it....
Thats right, best bit of advice... if its an ongoing problem Im dead set certian a letter to Ford H/O will have Ford doing right by you amlohac.

If you have no luck with Albury write a letter immediately to Ford H/O. But if you can avoid it, dont pick the car up, pay for it until you have a response from Ford H/O, as i doubt they would refund, but they might fix it for nothing, or next to nothing.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

sell it.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
real_jarod
Starter Motor

God damn dude thats gotta suck but i know how you feel man. I have had the crap with my local ford service department. Like you my CAT went on new years day and when i got it to ford it took 2 days too find out what was wrong and tell me it was my CAT and told me it was going to cost $1400. I told them to put it back together and where to go and took it to an exhaust shop and they charged me $200 for a universal cat. It's a well known fact that the '02 focus has some serious problems. I mean every six months something breaks that costs alot. My Advice is dont take it to ford ever again try and find somewhere else in your area and call ford headoffice and give them a good rant.
real_jarod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
In all seriousness, How can it be locked into overdrive? It would almost stall then all the time, not rev the crap out of itself... Most likely an automatic clutch failure, or bearing failure....
WRONG
When going above 80kms/h it'll rev hard 3000rpm + and you couldn't push 80km anyway it'll back fire.
Month and a bit ago I forgot to put the cable back into my air mass metre, well it did the same thing and that litttle orange light comes on.
When the auto was going through the gear, it'll make clunk sound then got fix and it was back to normal.

I have lived on both Focus for like nealy 4 years now.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
amlohac

Its not the overdrive hate to burst ya bubble. No backfire, no clunks, not even a warning light. The overdrive problem you speak of has already happened (2 months ago) and has been fixed.

The car has a history of me taking it back with the SAME problems well before the warranty ran out so they damn well should do something for me. I think i will be getting rid of it soon anyway, in that case... does anyone want my body kit? Id hate to see someone else with it on my car but id love to sell it to one of you guys at least i know its goin somewhere nice.

You can only be shafted so many times by someone before you just shrug and give up.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
You can only be shafted so many times by someone before you just shrug and give up.
Woops! Thought you were talking about John Howard there for a minute. LOL
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seff african quality ?
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
seff african quality ?
rofl...

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
amlohac

mines not seef affricaaan, my model is german build all the older focus's are
Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #15
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm interesting.

I'm sitting in my office just completed my ACCC training.

With my now swollen head I would guess there are grounds for a fair resolution.

If you calmly call Ford customer Service branch and take it from there, get a contact to write to and send a copy to your lawyer... Or just see a lawyer and have them deal with this under ACCC leg...

Ford wont try to wiggle out of their responsibilities believe me the penalties are too harsh.

It's time to bypass the dealer me thinks.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #16
FESTEC

I have the same advice as More revs for you mate, get a contact name from Ford but you must do it camly which I know is hard when talking to Ford and then contact ACCC and go from there, as if the problem has been there for a while and within the warranty period and has been fixed once before then you should not have to pay one red cent.......

Good luck mate....
FESTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 PM   #17
real_jarod
Starter Motor

should gop to the media or something as i'm sick of my focus and ford, after having to replace my coil pack, front left bearings 6 times and hub once, steering rack, CAT, timeing belt and cam gear, clutch kit, gear box, heaps of brake pads, now need to replace suspension, wheel bearings again, more brake pads and rotors. and sure there is more but i cant think of them.
real_jarod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #18
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
seff african quality ?
ey! leaf us seff effrikkens illune! ..... weirs mih juint rulled tuu niw?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 AM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac

I let mine go after a few minor issues, nothing close to yours. 2 gearboxes? Something's not right there, dose crazy chermans have done something wrong.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats horrible, manual conversion?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #21
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Why the hell did you take your car to ford when the car is out of warranty when you have a transmission failure?

It is going to cost you a lot!!!!

Your better off getting a used transmission and paying a mechanic $150 to put it in.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #22
amlohac

Car was taken to ford as im trying to get it fixed under warranty, somewhere else wont do it under the ford warranty, and i wanted them to know they had up royally the first 15 times i took it back saying there was something wrong. If things get a but rich it will be a second hand tranny and then im getting rid of it, no way im goin to put up with having to put a new transmission in every 35-45,000kms.

Besides if i got a used transmission the time between failures would be even shorter!

Im calling Ford head office on monday, and i know All about the consumers little friend the ACCC my minor is in consumer and business law.

So yeah if i do sell, ill be selling my kit on its own, if anyone is interested.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

On a more serious note, I hope you have learnt your lesson. Small cars and autos are not cool.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #24
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Falcons and Autos aren't cool either.

My brother revved the crap out of the falcon attempting to bounce off the rev limiter, but unfortunately for him he didn't even reach the rev limiter because the car died before it got there.

So now we have water ****ing out between the auto transmission and the engine.

In order to replace it, the transmission needs to come off
Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #25
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtremist

My brother revved the crap out of the falcon attempting to bounce off the rev limiter, but unfortunately for him he didn't even reach the rev limiter because the car died before it got there.

So now we have water ****ing out between the auto transmission and the engine.

In order to replace it, the transmission needs to come off
LOL my dads EF had transmission fluid coming from the same spot few months back.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #26
amlohac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
On a more serious note, I hope you have learnt your lesson. Small cars and autos are not cool.
ha.... comment not needed nor appreciated.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #27
BF MKII UTE

Quote:

My brother revved the crap out of the falcon attempting to bounce off the rev limiter,

I achieve what exactly?
BF MKII UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #28
amlohac

Watch Carl Baron then you will see what they were trying to achieve lol.

But anyway, transmission sent to Ford in Melbourne, they said what i knew all along, all the clutches in the transmission are totally fried. Which means a total re-build of the unit... AGAIN. $3000.... Not happy.

But i guess this is where id say im selling it. It officially done. Moved on and very very far away from ford. They have some great cars, but they also have some very ones. And very very customer service, which totally ****es me off to no end.

Ill still hang around the forums. I think i have learnt more than enough about the little focus, so ill keep passing on my knowledge and my experience.

Thanks for helping out guys
Old 12-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #29
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

What the hell are you doing to the car for the transmission die so quick?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #30
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
What the hell are you doing to the car for the transmission die so quick?
Just crap parts
I flog the sedan and hatch auto and we don't have any problem.