Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #31
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Default Re: Can I borrow your car? ....what's your policy?

Yeah I'll lend you my car no problems. As long as you lend me your wife. This is why I haven't lent my cars out because nobody wants to give me there wife. Lol
Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #32
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

either will come back ******
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #33
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If someone let me borrow their car in a time of need I would let them borrow mine. Car enthusiasm wouldn't come into it for me, favor for a favor.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #34
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Give him the cheaper car, if he is a good mate he will understand that you are precious about your pride and joy, dont give him it because he would be expecting the good one, you are the one doing him a favour, the cheaper car is better than walking
Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #35
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

For people I know I can trust, yeah. That list is pretty damn short though. Everyone else can go to buggery. Although I had to concoct an excuse recently as to why a certain family member couldn't use one of my cars, more so I wouldn't look like the bad guy to everyone else than anything seeing as I am already the bad guy for daring to tell their kids off for running amok in my house

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #36
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lend my cars and even when I can one day afford an expensive one, will continue to do so. There are rules and exceptions, for example the person has given me a reason to lose trust in doing so. The person has to accept responsibility and be covered by your insurance policy. As much as I like cars, they're just metal objects that can always be fixed or replaced if something goes wrong.

In your case, just set the terms and conditions you expressed in your post. Outline the detail of the level of care for his car and make it conditional that he reciprocates. (You are reciprocating the lending of the car and he will reciprocate the level of care for your car). Give the same examples: park it in a place where it likely won't get bumped. State that if there are any damages, he must take responsibility. Just be clear, direct, and respectful.

Last edited by chevypower; 07-04-2014 at 06:29 AM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #37
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner View Post
*throw the keys over* "Dont come back till the rears are gone"
Funnily enough, I went out on a cruise with a group of guys from another forum I'm involved with, here in Helsinki tonight. Plenty of car swapping on the run, and they weren't going easy with each other's cars.

On an unlit country road, somewhere east of Espoo, a 192hp RX-8 made me feel sick. That thing was ferocious.
There were a couple of moments where it all could have gone horribly wrong... I don't know how the owner could have possibly been comfortable watching from the car behind us.
I struggled when the guys at my local tyre place moved my car on and off the hoist to repair a puncture.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #38
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep they can borrow the $2000 dollar daily whenever they need it, you couldn't break it if you tried.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #39
tweeked
N/A all the way

to me it is like lending out my girlfriend.....

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #40
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Lend the wife but don't lend the mistress, oh we're talking cars. Then lend the daily but not the weekender.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #41
Rodge
Banned

I try and avoid accepting favours and certainly won't ask for one as I know that comes with a future obligation so I won't borrow someone else's car and won't lend mine out.

Too often problems between mates start over issues that you've talked about, and everyone's standard of what is clean and well cared for is different. Its a real can of worms which is why I won't go there.

In your case you are snookered, assuming you want to keep your friedship intact, and are obligated to lend him one of your cars, (I'd lend him the cheaper one if I were you).
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #42
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell him this:

The Wolf (Pulp Fiction): I get my car back any differently than when I gave it, Monster Joe's gonna be disposing of two bodies
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #43
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont like letting the missus or kids in the car let alone anyone else,just spent 2hrs cleaning the car after a trip to albury on the weekend
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #44
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If a mate needs a loan of a car, I would have no hesitations to help them out. If they are a good mate, I know it will come back the way it went out. I am sure if I needed a ride I could also rely on mates.

Mates help mates ...... couldn't do it any other way!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #45
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito
But how can I deny him as I've borrowed his car in the past (but took impeccable care and even washed/waxed it before return).

Your thoughts on my response? What is your car loaning policy.
If you don't like lending out your car don't borrow other people's cars.

If he has enough $$$ to drive fancy euro care he can afford to hire one till it's fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747jet
Yeah I'll lend you my car no problems. As long as you lend me your wife. This is why I haven't lent my cars out because nobody wants to give me there wife. Lol
^^^this

My policy is:
Personally no one drives my cars bar me, if you want to drive a car go and buy one, saves a lot of hassle and problems.

Who will be responsible if the car is damaged, stolen, written off, causes damage etc etc you are legally responsible for your car, if he does a hit and run, runs over someone's cat, dog, child etc they will come looking for you. Who will be responsible for ongoing insurance premium rises in case of a claim, will the other driver even be covered??

It's just too complicated and a recipe for disaster.

Keep it simple he drives his own car you drive yours

Another mate of mine who lends out cars to mates has a strict policy, you scratch it, damage it, crash it you own it. Not many people borrow his cars either

And even another mate who rides a Harley suggests anyone can ride his bike, as long as he gets to ride their woman first, again not many takers

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #46
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe tell him a little lie and say one of your good cars is playing up, overheating or something and you don't want him stuck with the responsibility so here take the other one.It sounds like you owe him the other car at the least.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 12:11 AM   #47
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Just to clarify, has he asked to borrow your good car, or just a car?
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 AM   #48
Spurious

If you borrow you must be prepared to lend, or don't borrow in the first place.

I would rather drive you around than lend you my car, that goes even for my mother. As I would ask her for a lift before I ask for her keys.

I only have one car, no dents & cannot afford the headache of damage done or insurance dealings. I agree with others here too, I wouldn't even lend to a g'friend or wife. My mother would be the only exception but her car has dents so it's risky IMO.

I've learnt over the years that people respect their own property but not always others. Under the circumstances lend him the cheapest one you've got, but make it clear that any damage done, either accidental, 3rd party inflicted or of his own accord would need to be rectified by him. If he might lend the loaner then you should get something in writing. This may offend him but just tell him he has a proven track record so he should then understand your point of view.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #49
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm happy to give friends a lift, and happy to let them drive my car so long as I'm in it, but borrow it? No, never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
I struggled when the guys at my local tyre place moved my car on and off the hoist to repair a puncture.
This.

I'm actively looking at getting a GPS Tracker for my car before the next time I need to hand it over to someone for servicing or other work. That way, I can keep an eye on where they take my car when it goes on a "test drive", how fast they were driving and how far they've driven. I have a hard time trusting anyone with my car, and I make no apologies for being extremely protective of it.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 AM   #50
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he is a Mate (I think us Aussies know what a Mate is ), you most definitely give him the good car. If he doesn't know already, you might say when you hand over the keys, 'Take care of her Mate'.

We live in a real, expensive world and you wouldn't want your Mate to carry a burden if worse came to worse. Make sure your insurance covers all scenarios and certainly covers your Mate. If he is your Mate, you should already know that he has a licence and is good for insurance.

From day 1, when I first picked up my Ute (Okay, it may not break the $100k level, but to me it's worth much more - it's my only bus), I said to all my Mates, 'If you need to borrow 'it' to take a load, it's yours'.

I swapped my new FG XR6 Ute for a 200+k Camry for over a week, just so I could transport my Pommy relies around. Yeah, I gave it back with a wash wax and an oil change (Pommy relies helped clean the car, they appreciated his generosity so much).
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 AM   #51
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Can't believe where mateship has gone, if it's a real mate and I have a few vehicles of coarse they can borrow the work hack. And if it's a real mate you shouldn't have to set these rules as they know they bend, they mend. I consider a real mate somebody I've known for a number of years. And have already helped you out when you needed it or has had you back in a fight and of coarse gotten on the turps with so you truly know them.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 AM   #52
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To right XBROO, by your post, you are automatically on my list of who can borrow the Ute. Cheers Mate.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 AM   #53
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Long way from Queensland mate, but thanks.LOL I notice your post after I posted mine and yeah we know what mates are.
Cheers.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:42 AM   #54
ZDFord
Starter Motor

I too lend cars to family/friends (well, REALLY good friends lol). I lend my daily drive and use my car I love myself..just too hard for me to trust someone else driving it. No doubt a psychologist would say I had sharing issues, it's just a possession etc lol. As for your friend expecting your best car.., if I had no car at all and needed one I would drive a Getz or Daewoo or whatever if I had to. Good luck with this one.
ZDFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #55
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Mate at work had a prang and was kinda stuck for transport while the car was getting fixed. Hey mate got my sons old car sitting at home just needs rego (we have 3 month rego option here) if you want it.... He had it for a couple months and was very grateful....

My car rarely gets driven by anyone but me and I am usually in it at the time (Wife is the exception)... Son has driven it once without me and he was picking me up from a Christmas work doo....

No one seems to get the effort these days about fixing cars/maintaining them....
They are just cars, A to B things.... No not to me there not...

My car isn't much but I have put a lot of effort into it...

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #56
84dau

I think if some one is picky on a loan car they need a reality check

Previous rides
84DXC 78 Falcon 500 XC 302 collum shift auto
03 XR6T manual blue print
84DAU 99 AU falcon ute
86 XF falcon 4.0L
84dau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #57
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Effing never?
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2014, 02:13 AM   #58
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Long way from Queensland mate, but thanks.LOL I notice your post after I posted mine and yeah we know what mates are.
Cheers.
Bro, if you check out my thread...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11416367

I should end up in QLD. I intend giving Supershifty a yell. I'll only be hanging around 4 or 5 days before heading south, but a barby or bar would be great.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #59
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

yeah id lend them the work if i didnt need it
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #60
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm very selective about who I let drive my car, let alone lending it to someone...and I haven't even got my new car yet! There's very few people I know who have as much respect for other people's property and for cars in general. Very much the same with my motorbike. If someone asks to ride my motorbike my response is "can I ride your girlfriend?". In your case OP I'd possibly lend them the cheap car...but even for me I'd struggle with doing so knowing what you do about his attitude towards cars.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post