Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Oil and Filter Change

Hi Guys,

Did the oil and filter change today and thought "heck, I'll do a how to for this job as well!" LOL!

As I have said on the workshop thread when I posted it a few minutes ago, this is a job most of us here have been doing ourselves for years right?

But we did need to learn before we could do it! I thought therefore, there may be some new comers and others who as yet haven't learnt and I'd help them to do so.

Here's the link!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...3&postcount=35

Cheers all,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Nice work.

You have too much spare time on your hands.
But in a way ... that's a good thing.
Hopefully some on the new members who aren't so knowledgeable look through these how-to's ... as it will benefit them immensely.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Nice work.
You have too much spare time on your hands.
The oil had to be changed, so I thought I might as well take some pics! LOL!

I guess it's just a matter of remembering to have the camera handy! I cleaned out the ISC valve as well, but hands were too grubby to take pics.

That's on my list for 'how tos' though! :hihi:

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 21-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
anakha

A note for those with V8s. My ED V8 and I would think newer ones also use a front sump pan. As such you dont want the front of the car on ramps as this will move oil away from the sump plug hole. After putting the oil catch tray in place and removing the plug I would remove the stand supporting the car and lower the car with the jack so it was level.

Also it is worth pouring some of the oil into the filter before fitting it the car. This will decrease the time it takes for oil to circulate the engine the first time after the change and prevent wear.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
sednwol

I was going to ask this anyway and this seems a good place to ask...My XR8 takes 40W/15 grade oil what would wifes reciently purchased Fairmont Ghia 11 VCT take? We did not get an owners manual with the car. Hope this is not to off topic. BTW, GK thanks for such an excellent resource!
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sednwol
I was going to ask this anyway and this seems a good place to ask...My XR8 takes 40W/15 grade oil what would wifes reciently purchased Fairmont Ghia 11 VCT take? We did not get an owners manual with the car. Hope this is not to off topic. BTW, GK thanks for such an excellent resource!
Page 28 of the book says you should use 10w/30, but can use /40 or /50 is that's not available. I used to use use 10w/40, but now both AU's are on gas, I've gone to HPR 10 gas, 10w/50. The 30 is a tad too thin. I think you'll find 10/40 is fine!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 22-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Great write up there George. Maybe you should ask Russell to put these Hot To's in the technical resources to help others who have never done it.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post