Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-04-2023, 01:03 PM   #34
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Tesla ‘autopilot’ crash driver to stand trial after critically injuring woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I reckon its misleading customers, its similar to the Lorna Jane fiasco and the COVID beating pants.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/ad...leading-claims

This is from Tesla's own website:

https://www.tesla.com/en_au/model3

So 'full self-driving capability', what does that mean to everyone here? To me that means it drives itself - until you use 'autopilot' in the suburbs and it ices a pedestrian getting off a tram.
I think you're misinterpreting the term that Tesla uses for automation and the fact that it has various levels of automoation. From the wiki page on Tesla Automation:

Quote:
Tesla Autopilot is a suite of advanced driver-assistance system (ADAS) features offered by Tesla

Driving features
Tesla's Autopilot is classified as Level 2 under the SAE six levels (0 to 5) of vehicle automation.[160] At this level, the car can act autonomously, but requires the driver to monitor the driving at all times and be prepared to take control at a moment's notice.[161][162] Tesla's owner's manual states that Autopilot should not be used on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing;[163][164][165] however, some FSD capabilities ("traffic and stop sign control (beta)"), and future FSD capabilities ("autosteer on city streets") are advertised for city streets.[166]
There's a table in there that talks about the different levels of the suite and they use the term Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving.

Autopilot is not the same as Full Self Driving. They're two different levels of automation under that suite.

It's nowhere near being the same thing as the Lorna Jane thing, IMHO. In this case, I think you're focused on one term and applied it to a suite of capabilities that mean different things.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post