Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
rob_o

Default Tell us your first Prang

Grrrrr....... Im a delivery driver for a local thai restaurant, and I was on a delivery tonight in mums EL fairmont. All was going well until I was driving forward outta someones steep gravel driveway and had to stop up the top to check for cars. Anyway the car's wheels started spinning in the gravel so I reversed down the driveway slowly and... *crunch* MY FIRST PRANG!!! And its worse coz its mums car not mine. (Mine got written off coz of hail 2 weeks ago).

After a quick inspection, I found the tail light damaged and paint damage, but panels seem ok (ill take a closer look tomorrow). Looks like percentage of my funds saved for my new car will go :(

Anyone else got any stories?
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #2
iCat
doof doof doof doof

First prang? New to the ways of utes and wet weather ... going a bit quick, had to hit the anchors, and did a 360 in the middle of the road and smacked backwards up the gutter onto the naturestrip. Slight buckle to one mag. However, I missed the trees, and all the other cars. How, I don't know. I learnt my lesson real bloody quick!
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Prang? Never had one as such, only the front skirt on both my XRs have been scraped from normal day to day driving and those steep gutters, not much you can do about them!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #4
Brute33
Boss 350

My one and only I had in 1988 . Driving my 351 clev powered ZA fairlane ( fully restored ) and going way too fast , came over a blind rise and **** ended a bumper bar reconditioner van outside a panel beaters. The front of the fairlane ended up inside the van and wrote both cars off.
The irony of it all still makes me laugh , but it was no joke at the time . A lesson I learned the hard way .
Brute33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #5
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Had a branch flick up into the chain of my bike (FJ1100) at 120k's when starting to pass a road train, a thousand k's from home, girlfriend (now missus) on the back. Snapped the chain, locked up the rear wheel, created a fantastic "what if" scenario, and wrote off the bike! All while keeping it upright!
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 01:03 AM   #6
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing for me yet... touch wood.

Almost had a prang last week though, where a van finally decided to give way to me on a round-about, when he was half a bees dick away from hitting my front LH quarter panel... I gave the guy a look of "your fugen lucky you didnt hit me", then drove off. LOL
Old 19-02-2005, 01:11 AM   #7
dxr88u
dye hard ford supporter

i had just got my "p's" and was driving home from tafe when i saw what i thought was a great looking behind in a nice pair of jeans. anyhow to cut a long story short she saw me perving at her and i was not watching where i was going, run up the *** of a 4wd and totaled my car and my pride as it all unfolded in front of her. still remember the embarrasment well and this all happened some 18 years ago.... :
dxr88u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 01:23 AM   #8
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Probably first one in a car was rolling the Datsun 1300 rally car me and a mate built. On the road though was a hire Nissan Pintara (what a s'box that was) on my way from Melb. up to the 'Cross in Syd. (while in the Navy at age 17). It was pouring rain and I rounded an uo hill left to find three cars stopped in my lane at a set of lights. I aquaplaned into the back of a Corolla that then shoved into a Camira driven by a Navy officer (not a wise career move). I shortened the Pintara by about 1 1/2 feet, sat the Corolla's bumper on it's rear wheels and bend the Camira's bumper. And guess who whinged the most....yea the stupid Camira!

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 01:48 AM   #9
Cheahman
BOSS 260

Totalled my EBXR8 about a year ago. Took a corner WAYYY too fast, did a 360 straight into a tree. That car had a very hard life when I owned it, was only a matter of time before I killed it with the way I used to drive. But now Ive learnt my lesson and drive very sedate, well most of the time.

BA XR8
EB XR8
Cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 08:25 AM   #10
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I too have had acidents in my time. Best advice anyone ever gave me is to drive like EVERYONE else is an idiot. For instance, you see a parked car, you expect they are gunna pull out in front of you.
On another tangent though....general observasion here. Most of you settle down after your first accident, myself included. Take heed those yet to have thier first accident...
LOL
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #11
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I too have had acidents in my time. Best advice anyone ever gave me is to drive like EVERYONE else is an idiot. For instance, you see a parked car, you expect they are gunna pull out in front of you.
On another tangent though....general observasion here. Most of you settle down after your first accident, myself included. Take heed those yet to have thier first accident...
LOL
totally agree with you,

My first and only accident was about a year and a half ago I was going through the lights (mine was green) and a saw in the corner of my eye a car going way to fast (Holden Commodore) and not slowing down for their red light. They ran the red light and all I had time to do is brace myself for the hit. Both cars were written off.

Last edited by XAGSV8; 19-02-2005 at 09:55 AM.
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
Dodge
i like to be stroked

first prang was when i was 12 yrs old and rolled a toyota 4X4 on stockton sand dunes, i was so scared that i forgot to stop pressing the brake peddle even after doing 3 end to end rolls. I was not injured until i got back to my parents then i recieved a tanned ***. Not for rolling the car but for going in it alone. It was a beach basher so the damage didnt matter. But my first road acciedent was when i was run of the road by a bus and wiped out a telegraph pole and broke a finger and brused my ribs.
Old 19-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #13
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im not as lucky as the people thet have only scraped there paint-work... my mate and i were in a XE wagon flogging the hell out of it when we saw a BIG fire ball fly out from under the car .... my mate bailed and i fogot my door was locked so i army-rolled over the console and out his door and ran up the rocky paddock as fast as i could. im only 14 but that was the freakiest day of my life.the car was compleatly burnt out!!! we went to the car the next day and my mate
pointed the the front seats and said look there us...... i went wight. the reasion it went up in flams was the fuel line was leaking and a spark off the engen somewere. my mate and i allways cheak the engen bay for eny folts befor we drive now. hahahahaha
has enyone els cought there car on fire???
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #14
Lad_of_MBFNW
aka MotherNatures son

sorry the thread above was from me ..... mum didnt sign out sorry

2001 Ford Falcon AU II Futura, The everyday banger, stock as it come from the factory, soon to change. :evil3:
Lad_of_MBFNW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #15
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

umm im not as "lcuky" :s as civic man here

but i did manage to spin me eski out and slam it into the curb about 30 cm away from a huuge tree, snapped teh wheel clean off the axel

moral of this story, dont go floggin it around a wet corner with bald low profiles ahahahahahaha

and my 2nd was in my other eski, but that was due to a burst tyre :( worte it off too :'(

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #16
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

driving too fast in the wet with crap tyres on the Kuranda range near Cairns QLD. the back slid around while the front hit a roadside which spun me quicker. the rear hit an embackment which, really, saved us from going over a few hundred feet drop.this xe ghia had been registered on the road for 3 days. damn shame really. my one and only crash in 23 years of driving.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #17
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

first accident was on my motorbike with L plates about 11months experience, i was nearly 21 been driving since 18.
crusing along i could see my lane being congested a fair way up the road so i checked mirrors and looked over my shoulder to change lanes(lane was clear) as i looked straight ahead, the cars in front of me were all stopping suddenly(some KNOB HEAD had decided he wants to tunrn NOW ) and i hadent even enough time to grab the brakes, and hit the car in front of me right in the middle of left tail light, i flew onto his roof and broke both wrists cos i was hanging onto handle bars(note to self try to let go next time) did 3grand damage to a 6grand VH commode
i'm now 32(nearly) and haven't hit another car, but had plenty of gutter, fence and tree accidents all small with hardly any damage(mostly drifting loses)
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #18
oneredED
need more boost

Hit a 4ft thick gumtree head-on in Dad's 2WD HiLux. I was 9 years old, teaching my 7 y/o brother to drive (in the paddock with dad's permission), and i ended up learning a very valuable lesson myself

My only other accident was in the same Hilux (then owned by me) when i was 16. I hit a 2ft thick strainer post at 70 clicks and took it out of the ground (strainer posts are layed in about 3 feet). My little brother had forgotten to tell me he had drained the brake fluid a few days earlier, but hadn't put any back in it!

None on the road so far (touch wood) but i've had too many close calls to count through other people's sheer stupidity and not being aware of whats going on around them.
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #19
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I was virtually stopped at traffic lights (going 5 kmph)when a 24 wheel semi trailer ploughed into my wagon crushing the back towards me like a can. Ilet go of the brakes and got flung into the car in front of me.When I finally could get out...I saw another 24 wheel semi smashed the semi behind me ..into me...
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #20
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
im not as lucky as the people thet have only scraped there paint-work... my mate and i were in a XE wagon flogging the hell out of it when we saw a BIG fire ball fly out from under the car .... my mate bailed and i fogot my door was locked so i army-rolled over the console and out his door and ran up the rocky paddock as fast as i could. im only 14 but that was the freakiest day of my life.the car was compleatly burnt out!!! we went to the car the next day and my mate
pointed the the front seats and said look there us...... i went wight. the reasion it went up in flams was the fuel line was leaking and a spark off the engen somewere. my mate and i allways cheak the engen bay for eny folts befor we drive now. hahahahaha
has enyone els cought there car on fire???

Well well well ....... I knew about the car catching of fire ........ never knew of all the events like this ...........

/me likes going out to leave the boy to tell his stories :Up_to_som

I must say after looking at the car he is a lucky lucky boy .... both of them are

I have only had 1 prang where I was rear ended ............ nothing major ..... but I do love towbars .... they make soooo much mess to dickheads who dont stop ;P
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #21
BIGKEV

I had a nasty experience coming home from work in my Xr ute once i was driving down the road approching a bridge with a road and give way sign jioning on the left just before the bridge wizzed up trucky dosn't even give way and locking her up went into a 90 degree slide before coming to rest comfortably wedged under his trailor.not very happy Jan in this one wrote off my ute and trucky didnt even appologise until after the police had forced him to. ing_sm
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post