The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #31
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Drove a mustang 2.3 turbo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I've no problem with the 6 cylinder as it was always offered with the original. The 4 is just wrong.
I do see what you mean, but id rather the Ecoboost than the crappy 3.7L V6 that comes in it. If it were the 3.5LTT V6 then it would be different.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #32
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
I do see what you mean, but id rather the Ecoboost than the crappy 3.7L V6 that comes in it. If it were the 3.5LTT V6 then it would be different.
Yep. The latter is a ripper of a unit.

Anyway, back on topic for the thread sorry.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #33
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Ford have a niche to fill, they filled it. The V6 is/was a piece of crap. The EB is a pretty acceptable thing these days, not my thing in Mustang but there are those who may actually prefer it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

8's like it or not are a bit on the nose to some. But the Mustang look combined with what is a quick though relative to the 8 soulless engine (it's got the runs on the board no matter what it feels like behind the wheel, think even the journos commented it's deceptive) sells more Mustangs in total. I wouldn't buy one, but I know plenty that would.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #34
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
So the mustang has always been wrong?
Wrapped in anything less than V8, yep.
Just like Falcons should only ever had V8's and I6's.
The 4 pot Falcon was a miserable failure, as will the 4 pot 'Stang be in OZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
The 4 cylinder mustang has its place and im sure its a nice drive and the engine is proven really. But yeah id take a focus RS.
So would I, and I'm not into 4 pot cars at all.
Speaks volumes for a 4 pot 'Stang.
Quote:
No excuses here, be funny to see some people driving late model V8 falcons have a drive of a turbo 4 and see what they think.
It doesn't matter what they think.
4 pots don't belong in 'Stangs, never did.
Quote:
Again only need to look at the Focus RS it will destroy most all late model standard falcons. But i know hot hatches arent for everyone. But it may not have the soul of a V8 falcon though in some peoples eyes.
A 4 pot hot hatch is a totally different thing to a 'Stang.

4 pots have there place, but it isn't in a mighty Mustang.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Didn't they have a 2.3L turbo variant of the Mustang a few decades ago?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #36
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
I was told around $55k.. Plus the car had an optional $7500 body kit. I was also told buying the demonstrator would be same price as brand new, just don't have To wait..

V8 around $65k but was emailed a quote of $63500 drive away for manual fastback v8.

For $55k no way I'd go the 2.3 turbo. Bought my fgx xr8 for $53k brand new

But go test drive yourself, I was totally underwhelmed with the 4cyl version of mustang
And after driving your XR8, you'll probably be underwhelmed by the V8 Mustang too. They need more power IMO, I bought an XR8 this year too, would upgrade to a Mustang GT350 in a heartbeat if they ever brought them here, but not to the normal GT.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #37
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Didn't they have a 2.3L turbo variant of the Mustang a few decades ago?
The svo one from the mid eighties?
Quick in its day
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #38
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Weren't these originally ~$45k when released?

$55k is far too much considering the competition. As said you can get an RS for that and I would take that every time.

Then there is XR8 and VF SSV at the same price points.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 02:38 PM   #39
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I've no problem with the 6 cylinder as it was always offered with the original. The 4 is just wrong.
...as was a 4 cly for just under 1/2 its life...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #40
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
...as was a 4 cly for just under 1/2 its life...
Yeah, and weren't they just the duck's guts?
Old 11-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #41
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
And after driving your XR8, you'll probably be underwhelmed by the V8 Mustang too. They need more power IMO, I bought an XR8 this year too, would upgrade to a Mustang GT350 in a heartbeat if they ever brought them here, but not to the normal GT.
The GT Premium is a really nice unit. It's tight and the power delivery is very linear. Excellent handling. Agree tho, no match for our FGs in outright acceleration but a better finished package all round that makes better use of the available power. I never felt the need to "hang on for dear life" in a Mustang unlike my FG GT.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #42
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Weren't these originally ~$45k when released?

$55k is far too much considering the competition. As said you can get an RS for that and I would take that every time.

Then there is XR8 and VF SSV at the same price points.
Yep, $45k plus on road costs, there has been some price rises on all Mustangs since the first release/order, 55k I believe would some dealers drive away price, good on you if you pay that, you are helping the Australian & USA economy
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #43
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't get what the big deal is... They offered the V8 GT here so you have no reason to complain with Ford giving us another option...

Maybe a 4 cyl Mustang would appeal to a broader audience, which may have helped the case to bring it here in the first place??

Some people want a Mustang but cant afford/cant justify not only the higher initial purchase price but the ongoing extra Fuel, Rego, Insurance, etc... these people will buy the Ecoboost Mustang...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #44
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

LOL so much butt hurt about a 4 cylinder Mustang.
Don't like it? Don't buy it.

No point in bagging it, it has the performance (more power and torque than a NA I6) just not the noise that some people prefer. Same could be said about the NA 6 of a Falcon.

Jeez it is a Ford, it looks good, goes well, what else?

Last edited by Wretched; 11-08-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #45
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stanger View Post
Yep, $45k plus on road costs, there has been some price rises on all Mustangs since the first release/order, 55k I believe would some dealers drive away price, good on you if you pay that, you are helping the Australian & USA economy
At 45k I would seriously consider one. 55k no bloody way.

A car like this has to be priced right.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #46
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

This is so classic bogan, people get their nickers in a knot over things that dont effect them.

Pretty sure an EB Mustang is as quick as any stock 5.4 V8 Falcon over the 1/4, and if its not it wont be far off.....so whats the problem?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #47
Patty

With some mild mods, these ecoboost mustangs can really get up and boogy.

This one in the US just ran 11.6 down the 1/4 mile with some bsaics mods. Modifications to the car are minimal and consist of an upgraded intercooler, downpipe, intake, and a COBB Accessport V3 utilizing a TUNE+ Protune for 93 Octane w/ RGA (Race Gas Additive). Getting the power to the ground is a set of 19×10 SVE wheels with Nitto NT05R Drag Radials. That’s it. Stock suspension, stock transmission, and no Jenny Craig (weight reduction).

I'm not saying i'd get one, but if you wanted to do something different, why not?? If they could make the ecoboost sound good then I'd be interested.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/new-ecoboo...r-mile-record/
Old 11-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #48
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

[QUOTE=Polyal;5741658]This is so classic bogan, people get their nickers in a knot over things that dont effect them.

Pretty sure an EB Mustang is as quick as any stock 5.4 V8 Falcon over the 1/4, and if its not it wont be far off.....so whats the problem?[/QUOTE

4 banger Stanga must be slow then. Boss 5.4 is apparently a boat anchor. Don't know why there was a need for this connection to be made.
I would buy the four banger..... For my daughter.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #49
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
I bought a fgx xr8 but I was very very close to buying a mustang. Due to the wait, not being able to test drive and the fgx being such a great value muscle car I bought that.

Anyhow I stopped into a ford dealer to have a look. This is the car available to test drive. It had an optional kit fitted.

There is a considerable wait for the 5.0 so only the 2.3 turbo was available. They fitted the wheels from the 5.0 as well.

First impressions are the car looks very nice, really attractive car and great presence. I've sat in one before, but never driven one.

I didn't think the driving position was that dissimilar to the fgx. Steering wheel was a bit low but seat also low. But I didn't play with it so might be some movement there. The front of the car is humongous. Almost like those old corvettes with the huge front, bat mobile, too big. The rear seat has nothing, it was basically touching the front seat. I know it's not meant to be a family car so for one off trips it would suffice.

Driving the car, you just can't see the front, the bonnet also has what looks like a boss bulge but it's just a crease really on both sides.. Seats were nice n comfy and dash looks ok if not a bit retro looking.

The salesman came with me so not much room in the front. It was a little awkward reaching over to drop the handbrake on the passenger side. Salesman probably thought it was an advance of sorts. Lol

On the road, I wasn't too impressed with the 2.3 turbo. Sound was not befitting of the car, it's a muscle car not a VW!! It wasn't too impressive with power either. I think a n/a ford falcon 6 would have more punch than it.

I wasn't too excited about driving it to be honest, it was auto as well. Just felt like the looks of the car were not matching the way it drove, like it wasn't a real mustang? Weird. I took it back to dealer quickly. Honestly I found it as exciting as driving a Toyota Camry.

The sales manager said so what do you think..

My first words were " you just can't buy the mustang with the 4cyl motor" no way. It's V8 or nothing. He tried to justify the car that people using it as a daily buy them but enthusiasts are staunch on the V8.

I also asked if a baby seat would fit in the back, salesman says you don't buy this sort of car for family duties, my response was, do you buy this sort of car for its 4 cylinder performance?" A real show pony (excuse the pun).

I'm glad I bought the fgx xr8, it's a car that you drive, you think geez it has some punch, geez it sounds nice, geez you could get into some real trouble in it, you park it and walk away thinking that's a special bit of kit. As you do if you drive a FPV GT or F6 or xr6t. They are special.

But this mustang was a real sheep in wolfs clothing. I love the look of the car but the drive was very underwhelming. I would still like to buy one but it must be a V8, it must be a manual.. But I think I need to drive it before putting down the cash, what I drove today was like driving a falcon Xt i6 with a GT body kit. It needs to feel special to match its super looks, the substance to match its style.

I think we are really going to miss the falcon, particularly the performance models, they didn't ever look as good as a mustang but geez they drive with some excitement.

im happy with the fgx and until I drive a mustang 5.0, I can't say that I'm sold on the mustang. I won't be buying one site unseen, need to drive the 5.0 and I hope it changes my mind. I hope the 5.0 is a great drive as you cannot buy the falcon v8 any more.
That's exactly how I felt when I drove a stock , manual, Miami FPV GT. Expected so much but it just didn't deliver. Nothing a tune wouldnt fix though.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
I would buy the four banger..... For my daughter.
What if she wants the V8 though?

If I was going to buy the new Mustang, put me down for the 4 banger.

Could walk in yesterday and drive out with it the day before instead of waiting another year for it

4, 6, 8 cylinders, owned em all no particular preference.

Give me the one I can easily make go faster and if I'm putting down coin I want to be driving it yesterday not next year.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #51
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
What if she wants the V8 though?

If I was going to buy the new Mustang, put me down for the 4 banger.

Could walk in yesterday and drive out with it the day before instead of waiting another year for it

4, 6, 8 cylinders, owned em all no particular preference.

Give me the one I can easily make go faster and if I'm putting down coin I want to be driving it yesterday not next year.
I'm happy to wait 5 years.

I'll get a V8 when they're 15k.
I'll get a 4 pot when hell freezes over.
5 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #52
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Hate to be another negative nelly but i sold my GT a couple of weeks ago and gave the mustang a look since it was all ford had.

Suffice to say I am no longer a ford owner as it just didn't cut the mustard despite it being my dream car other than a GT when I was growing up.

Now Quattro RS3 powered
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #53
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Pretty sure an EB Mustang is as quick as any stock 5.4 V8 Falcon over the 1/4, and if its not it wont be far off.....so whats the problem?
Can the Ecoboost do 0-100 in 5.1 seconds? My 5.4 GT could.....

They're slow, really, they are. The 5.0 Mustang is barely adequate IMO...
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #54
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post
As has been mentioned before in other threads, the Mustang was traditionally released with a range of engines. Eg. in '74 I believe the car was available with either a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine.
And as has been explained before, there's a reason that abomination is still referred to as the "Mustang II" or simply the "Pinto Mustang."

Holden once fitted a 4 cylinder to their commode, and realised it was a huge mistake.
Ford fitted a 4 cylinder to their Falcon, and they sold like 2nd-hand undies at the op shop.

Yes, the Mustang in America has always come with a big 6 as an entry level, to make it an affordable Pony car.
And if they sold the V6 version here at an affordable price, I'd have no problem with that.

Really, I guess its rather obvious why you can buy a 4 cylinder ex stock, and there's still a humongous waiting list for the V8.

As those arguing about its performance. "It's faster than a poverty pack Falcon"
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #55
4stanger