Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Red face Laugh at my stupidity

Ok

So I have to move me EA into the driveway but the batterys flat
get out the tools and swapped with mums EB battery

Im sittin there screwin the terminals in and its makin little sparks but im thinkin.. must be normal

I was NOT paying the slightest attention to the BIG red and Blue .. Pos and Neg symbols lol

So the wires are odviously heating up the whole time im screwing this in and justtt as I finish getting the screw on BOOM

Smoke going everywhere and a small electrical fire starts

LOL

I instantly shat my pants and ran off in fear of an explosion (hahaha)

I had to run back while the fire was goin and desperately try to undo the terminals and .. ahh .. blew out the fire and releif

Poor poor car

Good news is i whipped out the box of crimp connectors and grabbed some scissors..

car started wen i flipped battery around and all electrics were as they should be :the_finge

foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Oh ... it's quite odvious i crossed the terminals over isn't it.. lol. good old crimp connectors never fail me
Old 26-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

glad you're obviously ok. Electricity f@@kin up is no fun at all.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bahahhahahaha, least there was no major damage
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Jet-Star

Always wondered what would happen if you put the terminals on the wrong way, I fit batteries just about every day at work (Autobarn) and im paranoid about doing that every time I fit one lol.

Worst thing I did was fry some ones starter motor on a 4wd, I touched my spanner on the car while un-doing a terminal and I heard a spark, time came to start it and the starter was seized, one of our machnics got under it and belted it a few times or did some thing with force under there and away she went...Lucky
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

LOL

Yeah basically all the wires that were meant to be on the positive but i had on the negative just fried up real hot and a fire started . ahahha

one wire go so hot i melted and snapped.. so i got out the crimp connectors and fixed it all up.. the rubber around the wire looks a bit fried lol

I thought I fried the cars computer etc for sure!!
Old 26-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Some of those wires that attach to the battery are not just wires they are fusible links. They are designed to melt in case of electrical overload,

If you have replaced them with normal wires and there is another electrical problem, you could do some real damage to electrical items.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did somethign similar to my XF, fried the big fat yellow cable (ignition?) gave myself quite a fright.

I also somehow masnaged to set all the electrics in my Datsun 200B on fire.... never seen so much smoke inside the cabin in my life!
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Luckily it is only 12 volts..

I used to work on 3300 volts AC, , , THAT was scarey..

SInce gave it away, after a close call about 12 years ago

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #10
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x

I also somehow masnaged to set all the electrics in my Datsun 200B on fire.... never seen so much smoke inside the cabin in my life!
I'm pretty sure they all came like that from factory...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Some of those wires that attach to the battery are not just wires they are fusible links. They are designed to melt in case of electrical overload,

If you have replaced them with normal wires and there is another electrical problem, you could do some real damage to electrical items.
Yeah the one that melted would of been one of them.. i just crimped connectors to it.. they can still melt either end of the connector.. i didnt replace the wire just crimped them back together so theres still room for it to melt if it needs to :Reverend:
Old 26-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
I'm pretty sure they all came like that from factory...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. My sister had one of those 200B's, and I think you could have written it off with a 20 cent coin down the side. What a hunk of Junk.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #13
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Least you didn't let all the smoke out. Once all the smoke is gone you can't put it back in

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #14
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 03:01 PM   #15
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Least you didn't let all the smoke out. Once all the smoke is gone you can't put it back in
eh? I don't get it :
Old 27-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #16
'63Deluxe
Irregular Member

Its not a real project unless you set fire to it at least once. I set(accidentally) fire to all my projects at sometime or other.
'63Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 12:07 AM   #17
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot
eh? I don't get it :
Electrical items must run on smoke, because when you let the smoke out they stop working.

When you short something electrical, they start to smoke as they are melting themselves.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 01:44 AM   #18
EF GHIA
Starter Motor

I had a 71 capri with 2.0L corty motor and a dato 200b alt (I didn`t put it there) the regulator on the alternator fried while driving at speed on fried every wire under the bonnet.But I did only pay 50 bucks for the car!
EF GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 01:58 AM   #19
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Luckily it is only 12 volts..

I used to work on 3300 volts AC, , , THAT was scarey..

SInce gave it away, after a close call about 12 years ago

AC/DC
Try 11kv 11.000 volts...
One flash and your ash...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 03:18 AM   #20
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

There was a guy who worked for BHP when i was there as an apprentice, We were working on the carbody of a P&H XP2800 Powerface shovel. He was tapping his foot on the ground to music when out of no-where one of the ta's belted him with a large chunk of wood breaking his arm, the poor guy thought he was getting electrocuted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #21
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Electrical items must run on smoke, because when you let the smoke out they stop working.

When you short something electrical, they start to smoke as they are melting themselves.
Bingo

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 01:24 AM   #22
kofo500
Starter Motor

Reminds me of the time I was 'sitting' upside down on the drivers seat of my Hz ute tweaking something or other, head on the brake pedal, bum near the headrest, feet jammed up near the roof, when i connected a positive wire to an earth...White smoke filled the cab, the wiring catchs on fire, im flipping out, squirming, manage to upend myself and fall out the door. Ran around to the engine bay and got the battery disconnected before it got too ugly, if that aint ugly enough.
kofo500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #23
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

do you dress yourself

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #24
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot
eh? I don't get it :
:

A 200b was a 180b with 20 more mistakes out:
Old 18-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #25
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse06
Always wondered what would happen if you put the terminals on the wrong way, I fit batteries just about every day at work (Autobarn) and im paranoid about doing that every time I fit one lol.

Worst thing I did was fry some ones starter motor on a 4wd, I touched my spanner on the car while un-doing a terminal and I heard a spark, time came to start it and the starter was seized, one of our machnics got under it and belted it a few times or did some thing with force under there and away she went...Lucky
LOL sounds sorta like what I did once... was refitting the EGR pipe to my Gemini at the time. Accidentally let go of the bastard and dropped it across the starter motor terminals (EGR pipe ran behind the back of the engine, across the top of the bell housing). Resulted in one big f**k off spark and took a chunk out of the EGR pipe. Needless to say, I didn't bother refitting the pipe.
Old 18-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #26
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother did the exact same thing to his XW about 6 yrs ago, fried his whole loom, luckily there isnt a whole lot of wiring in those old bangers, still made enough smoke to completely fill my garage, and just about made me and my brother fill the backs of our pants
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post