Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2015, 01:23 AM   #1
Rob1964

Default Bathurst accommodation from Perth

Hi guys yet to tick this one off the bucket list!
Wondering if accommodation in the town is like finding a needle in a hay stack? I will ring some tomorrow any advice appreciated thanks guys. Looking for Friday Saturday and Sunday nights and any idea for transit airport to Bathurst ?
Rob1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
XAGT1972
XAGT351

Default Re: Bathurst accommodation from Perth

Hi Rob. Don't like your chances of getting a hotel / motel room in Bathurst. When I've gone I usually book a year out and have never been able to get a room in town.

Might be able to get accommodation in Lithgow or Orange, but you'll need a hire car to get to Bathurst each day (about 50k's each way).

Lots of locals in Bathurst rent their houses out or take in boarders for the weekend, suggest calling the Bathurst Tourist Bureau to find out the best contacts for this option.

Camping went on sale about a month ago, so if you want to spend the weekend on the mountain there might be spots left. I also see this year there is a company that will setup / rent out a tent for you ... Might be cheaper and easier thnt taking camping gear in your suitcase like I did in 96. Or on the same lines you could look at a camper, we did. This last year. But You might have left your run a bit late. Camping is sold through the V8 Supercars website.

Last option that I can think of is to buy a package deal with one of the sports tour mobs. Look them up on the net or grab a copy of Auto Action, they advertise there quite a bit. You pay a bit of a premium but they will look after accommodation & transfers for you.

Hope you find a way to get over for the race, it's a great experience, and it is worth staying on the mountain or in town to get the full experience. Wish I could go again this year for the FPR/ PRA hat trick
XAGT1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
snopony

Saw an add last week, St Patricks Sporting club in Gilmour Street,Kelso are taking online bookings for their camping sites. They use their paddocks in front of the pub.
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Some good info already provided, but I may be able to add a bit more, based on my experiences for last year and again this year:

* Most of the established accommodation, such as motels, hotels, pubs, rental properties, etc not only go fast (and hence you've probably left your run too late for this year, as advised by XAGT1972) but generally have a minimum rental period of at least 4 nights. Not too bad an issue in your case as you are looking at staying three nights, but becomes expensive if you are only planning on staying two nights like us.

* There is camping available at the showgrounds in town, but I think that is already sold out (or very close to it). More details here: http://bathurstshowground.com.au/camping/

* There are two companies that offer camping facilities where they provide everything apart from your linen. One is called Tent Town and the other Tent City.

Tent Town is the one at Kelso as per snopony's post. Kelso is on the outskirts of Bathurst, on the opposite side to Mount Panorama. These are priced at $360 per tent per stay. Details here: http://www.tent-town.com.au/bathurst-1000/ Location here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...f5e1ac976e2fe6

Tent City is based at the Police Paddock, about 500m from the city centre. 2 nights starts at $189 per person twin share, through to 3 nights at $252 per person twin share. Details here: http://www.tentcityhire.com.au/level_2/bathurst.html Location here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...0609b573fe5f30

When I contacted both of these about 3 weeks ago, they still had some slots available, but I would get in quick!

For accommodation out of town, you could always look at Cowra. It is about 1.25 hours away form Bathurst. It is where we stay on the Sunday night as it reduces the travel home a fair bit on the Monday, and you already have a head start on the traffic leaving Bathurst. Probably in wrong direction for you tho.

As far as transport from Sydney Airport to Bathurst, I would think a hire car would be your best bet, but I have never had to do that.

Hope that helps

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
snopony

yep...what they said...
also maybe get in touch with Bathurst regional Council, they used to run the program that rents out houses, but I think they may have outsourced it in the last few years. They should be able to tell you who does it. They have a FB page and website with their contact details on it. Most of the camping sites as mentioned above are pretty well serviced with shuttle busses to get you around town and the mount. Bathurst airport is less than 5 minutes from town.
Good luck!
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be plenty of camp sites on the track, last year there was about 20% vacant in the chase campsite, you could hire a camper van from Sydney and drive it out there, only about 3 hours drive
if campsite are sold out try ebay as alot of people buy the sites but don't use them just to keep them for future years but as of next year thats a thing of the past and vacant site are recorded and forfeited.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
BlueOvalPrint

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopony View Post
Bathurst regional Council... used to run the program that rents out houses, but I think they may have outsourced it in the last few years.
Yes it's now run by Bathurst Home Hire, I've used them in 2013 & 2014 and had a really good experience (not just because of FPR wins those years!). Son and I were in a room in a new house on the Kelso area with a great family and had full use of one bathroom and breakfast provided etc. Might be hard to find a vacancy now, but contact Annie or Kati on 0457 709 268 or 0447 943 357.
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
Rob1964

Cheers guys some handy info there
Geez it must be a massive pilgrimage!
I've really got to experience this I'll get onto some leads now thanks😊
Old 23-05-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

I got accommodation at the Rydges on the track. It was a minimum 5 night stay and wasn't cheap but hey its only money and the excitement, I cant wait. Good luck with trying to find somewhere, this trip has been on my bucket list and I'm glad we are going this year as it could be the last year Falcon is racing.
Old 23-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1964 View Post
Cheers guys some handy info there
Geez it must be a massive pilgrimage!
I've really got to experience this I'll get onto some leads now thanks😊
Let us know what you end up with, Rob!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 01:47 AM   #11
Rob1964

Well I'm now thinking about campsite on the hill and camper van! Will be cheaper and the experience up there should be memorable!
Old 24-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Try airbnb for accommodation as well. There are a few towns between Bathurst and Cowra that have pubs / hotels with rooms, they may be worth a shot.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I did the ring around in January and pretty much came back with $500 a night from everyone in Bathurst, had to book the 4 nights minimum.
So ended up booking a cabin where we stayed last year at Orange for $120 a night.

Camper van up the on the hill would be good !!
Old 24-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #14
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1964 View Post
Well I'm now thinking about campsite on the hill and camper van! Will be cheaper and the experience up there should be memorable!
It's pretty tame up on the Hill now... nothing like the "old days" !
Biggest thing you'll remember will probably be the lack of sleep you got from all the really loud sound systems going off all night... and the pisd mindas carrying on around their campfires !!
The NSW cop's APEC squad put paid to everything else that used to entertain us, about 7 yrs ago !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #15
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is anyone looking for accomodation around the bathurst area for 2015? I have a 2 bedroom unit booked at the Big Trout Inn (SLEEPS 5) at Oberon which is a 47km drive from Bathurst.
http://www.bigtrout.com.au/default.asp
Unfortunately I have just changed jobs and they wont give me the time off so we have all canned the trip until next year.

I have only been charged a deposit of $578 for 2 nights to cover my booking, which I am looking at getting back if someone wants my booking? Check in 7th October sand check out the 12th October. Hit me up with a pm if your interested.

$1445 total for 4 people. (it cost an extra $20/night for 5 people as apposed to 4)

As you can see if you divide it up by 4 people its cheap accom.
520rwhp

Last edited by eed-250; 08-06-2015 at 03:33 PM.
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2015, 12:38 AM   #16
Rob1964

Sorry eed-250 just two of us going now so scored a tent in the town $315 twin share 4 nights nice and close!