Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
kayyan
Starter Motor

Default 2001 AU ii system cut up itself on the road

Hi, guys
My 2001 AU ii with mileage 350000 has a system cut up problem whcih can't be identified by my electrican and mechanics. Sometimes it suddenly stops on the road and I can restart the car srtaight away after that. The problem happens at low speed such as 30 to 40 km/hr so up to now it hasn't caused any damage, ie car behind me can easily stop and wait for me to restart the car.

My electrican used meter to scan the car and found no relavant code. He guessed from experience that ''crank angle sensor'' is likely to be the problem and changed it on Dec 2013. I drive the car for around 2000 km since then and the problem come back again about 3 weeks ago. Same electrican inspected and scanned the car again and still could not find out what's wrong, ie no relavant code turned up. He cleaned up throttel body as well although it is perfectly clean.

His suggestion is that I keep driving the car till the problem becomes more obvious and than go back to him to scann the eletrical syatem of the car again hoping certain relevant code turnned up this time. He could not repair the car without knowing whcih part/ parts, eg a sensor, is/are mal-functioned.

Nb My mechanics inspected the car before my electrican changed crank angle sensor last Dec and found no relevant mechanical fault re the problem so this time he suggested me to go to the electrican directly.

Anyone has any idea what's wrong with my car? Is this a specific problem of AU falcon? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Kayyan

kayyan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: 2001 AU ii system cut up itself on the road

Hi & welcome to AFF kayyan, check the wiring loom the crank angle sensor plugs into, they are known to have issues over time. Also check the idle control valve on top of the throttle body if it does it at idle, make sure its clean & lubed. Good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
kayyan
Starter Motor

Thanks Maka for your valuable opinion. Actually, the car did stop itself once when car was idling. So I might get someone to check the idle control valve first as it might be an easier job.
Old 23-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Sounds like a similar issue to what Whoosha put up with.

Potential for you:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11283716
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11284629

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
kayyan
Starter Motor

Hi, below is the latest information of my Falcon's problem:
''the wiring loom the crank angle sensor plugs into'' and ''the idle control valve on top of the throttle body'' have been checked again by my electrician as suggested by Maka. My electrician thought they are fine.

The regular service of the car was performed on early May and my mechanics found that spark plugs were worn out to the extent sometimes they might not function properly to provide enough power to keep the car going, ie two or three of them might stop function at the same time and caused engine stopped. He replaced all six spark plugs and the car runs fine till now although I did not drive the car much due to long overseas holiday. My mechanics knows the ''system cut up'' problem'' since it happened. Now he is sure that the worn out spark plugs is the reason for it.

Does anyone has any other thought of my Falcon's problem? All suggestion are welcomed.
Thanks
Old 21-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi there, mmm i wonder if the worn plugs damaged the coil? Get a ecu scan & a fuel pressure test done by your mechanic to verify whats wrong with your au. Good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 25-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
kayyan
Starter Motor

Hi Maka
Thanks for your prompt response. Do you mean if there are no problems found after ecu scan and fuel pressure test are done, then you would think that worn plugs and/or coil connecting to the plugs are likely the problems?
Thanks, Kai
Old 26-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

"He replaced all six spark plugs and the car runs fine till now" Replace the leads if you havent done so yet buddy!

cheers, Maka