Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XC Cobra cop car

Were any of the XC Cobra's use as cop cars.
I hear 2 were in stationed at murwillumbah and one at Canterbury.
True or false.

castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
XY Chaser

Default Re: XC Cobra cop car

False. NSW Highway patrol used 1978 GS 5.8 Coupes but no Cobra's.

Murray
XY Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW police used full house GTs as their resale value was always better than the rubber mat interceptor 351 cousins here in Vic. Never saw a Cobra police car though, I did however , in the days of the derestriction signs have a very high speed trip in my dads XA GT coupe followed by a XB GT coupe for quite a few miles out past Young on the way to Bathurst. At a T intersection he pulled up next to me and gave me a nod and took off in the opposite direction and only then did I notice his NSW police insignis on his shirt sleeves.
They really were the good ol'days.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
XY Chaser

NSW Police never used GT's in XA's or XB's. They used K code base Falcon 500's, Torana's and Chargers during that period. The only 2 doors they used were the XC coupes from '78. I don't think Victoria used Chargers or Torana's and they never used coupes.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
NSW police used full house GTs as their resale value was always better than the rubber mat interceptor 351 cousins here in Vic. Never saw a Cobra police car though, I did however , in the days of the derestriction signs have a very high speed trip in my dads XA GT coupe followed by a XB GT coupe for quite a few miles out past Young on the way to Bathurst. At a T intersection he pulled up next to me and gave me a nod and took off in the opposite direction and only then did I notice his NSW police insignis on his shirt sleeves.
GT450
I think he may have been off duty on his way to or from work in his own car. NSWP never had full GT coupes as far as I know
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the limited numbers of genuine Cobras built, along with their premium price tag at the time they were released would have precluded them from being bought as police cars.

I was an apprentice at a country Qld Ford dealership when they were released and I well recall there being no recommended retail price on them - it was up to each dealer to set their price. We had one of the allocation and it was a 4.9 T-bar auto. It sold for around the 12 grand mark, when you could buy a 5.8 XC Sports Pack coupe for about 8 grand at the time.

As a cop car they would have had the stripes painted over so there would have been no point in starting with a Cobra over a standard coupe.

Russ
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
GT450
When did the days of derestriction signs end? Good old days for sure. Rural speed limits are plain stupid.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They used GTs because of resale . Vic used poverty packs. I WAS there I know.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
XY Chaser

NSW Police NEVER used GT's. They used poverty packs with 351's in them, GTR Torana's and Chargers. i know that as I worked for the Police at the time, directly opposite from Fleet where all the cars came to before they were issued. The closest they came with Falcons was the white XC GS Coupes with 351's which were in service from '78 to '79.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #10
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

I can't recall exactly when derestriction ended but my mates and I used to get a laugh out of seeing them on a gravel road in Baxter Victoria called Stotts Lane , anyone that once travelled that road knows how ludicrous it was to see these two signs facing you as you headed up this gravel road that often washed out in heavy rain leaving 1 foot deep ruts .
They were still up in 1990 .
OwnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #11
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They used GTs because of resale . Vic used poverty packs. I WAS there I know.
GT450
Sorry to doubt you but first I've ever heard of this so would appreciate some actual proof like photos

are you saying marked or unmarked or both?

and are you saying with stripes, decals, metallic paint etc?

2 doors/4 doors?

and in what years?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post