Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #301
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dealer tactics

The fact that it is a July model would be my only concern. Don't think it has sat all nice and tidy in the shade. That car has been outside in the weather for 6 months now without a single wash, that's what I'd be worried about. They never get washed properly. Unless it's been a showroom car since July then none of that will apply but it I'm sure a floor car would have been shifted by now. 15km is completely normal by the way. I'd look elsewhere in the new year.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #302
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to a dealer once looking at 4wds. He was trying to sell me a Subaru Liberty saying it was 4wd and can get as far as most common 4wds offroad.

Yeah sure mate, you see heaps of AWD car based wagons on off road tracks.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #303
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
really, you just hand over 10's of thousands of dollars on a car without speaking to your wife?

i've told sales guys that i have to speak to my wife, the salesmen that want to sell a car ask when i can get her there for a test drive, other guys let you walk.

didn't help the guy trying to sell me a xr6t, got her there and she drove the car but didn't like it :(

anyway, as you were..
Does your wife get your thoughts on which washing machine or food processor to buy?
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #304
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Does your wife get your thoughts on which washing machine or food processor to buy?
This looks like it was written by someone who isn't married
Old 14-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #305
monzie

Yeah, I don't drive the kitchen utensils as much as she drives the car. happy wife, happy life.
A lot of difference between a $50 saucepan set and a $50,000 car.
Pete

Last edited by monzie; 14-12-2013 at 11:59 AM.
monzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #306
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife still hasn't forgiven me for getting an RS 250 Megane. Is pretty insistent on having a say in its replacement, and has made it pretty clear I am not to get a Commodore....
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #307
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
This looks like it was written by someone who isn't married
I actually am. But when it comes to cars and me being an enthusiast, I wear the pants. Not a bloke thing. Just a reality. My wife wouldn't know if an F-650 heavy duty reversed into our bedroom. Hence why I make the decision when buying a car. That's not to say women know nothing about cars. Its just fairly obvious that men know more in general. I wouldn't know how to turn my washing machine on. Probably a good thing I don't.
Old 14-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #308
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzie View Post
Yeah, I don't drive the kitchen utensils as much as she drives the car. happy wife, happy life.
A lot of difference between a $50 saucepan set and a $50,000 car.
Pete
Yup. agree. But when you go to a dealer to negiotiate and haggle, There is a good chance that you have already discussed the prospect of buying a car. I am not disrespecting the women of the world. Of course they must agree about buying a car and the men of the world should discuss the proposition of buying one prior to busting a salespersons chops on price. Would you walk into Harvey Norman and crunch someone on a fridge when you have no intentions of buying one.
Old 14-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #309
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
I think that I was spoilt by the Ford dealership when I purchased the Territory.

The Stillwell Ford dealer gave me an estimated delivery date on the day I signed the papers. A week later they gave me a confirmed date, but mentioned that it could be slightly early or late.

Ford Australia sent me an email of of my Territory going down the production line (I know that was a special one off for early Territory sales, but was a nice touch).

The dealer kept in touch with me at all times. A week earlier than predicted, I got a call saying my Territory just came in on the truck and all they had to do was the PD and registration and I could have it by the end of the week.

Fast forward to the present dealer - sale agreed on Saturday, and I was told that they'd call during the week to give me a delivery date. One week later I get a call saying that they still haven't got a delivery date. That's when I re-stated what I wanted. "No problems John...it won't be a....."

I still want the car, it's just that now I have a bad feeling. I just don't feel like walking into the dealership. So I put the finances on hold. Waiting for the Dealer principle to call, then I'll listen to what he has to say.
If you stated clearly you want a Dec '13 build then I wouldn't bother with anything else. It's what you asked for, what they accepted in taking your order and basically that's it. If they decided that a July build was acceptable to you and only after you asked a few times before they divulged the actual date I would already have a soured taste and can only wonder what the service dept. side would be like if that's how the new car sales operates. When I bought my Transporter I printed a fully detailed purchase order, stating model year, what was dealer/third party fitted items and what was to be factory built. No margin for error, no chance of mistake on my side leading to a you said/we said...

Go with your gut feel.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #310
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My recent experience when buying my new GT 335...

One arvo i walked into a local dealership and test drove an auto GT, i really wanted a manual, but no manuals so auto did the trick. About two weeks later i went back, and my finance was ready to go, deposit ready. I informed the dealership that i had been negotiating interstate, but would prefer to keep the business local, and that i had bought more than 5 cars through the local dealership previously, so had a decent rapport.

I told them that the interstate dealership was looking like low to mid 60s drive away (trade in price was rough figure only). The local dealership insisted that $68,500 was their best price. They told me to think about it over the weekend, and let them have the final offer if interstate came back with a better/concrete offer... That afternoon, i called an interstate dealership, knowing their price would be at worst 65k or so, with no haggle i simply asked for the best price, i was ready to order. Boom, low 60s drive away. Deposit was paid over the phone there and then. Brand new, built to order in manual and colour of my choice.

The next week rolls around and i get a follow up call from the local. I politely told them i did think about it, and i have already put my deposit down interstate. When queried why i didn't give them the final chance to match the price, i told them they had their chance when i visited their dealership for the 2nd time, when i had my money ready to go.

Had the local dealership given me a price of 64-65k drive away, they would have had my deposit that afternoon... Funny thing was, i caught the salesman out when he did his follow up call. He asked me what i paid, to which i gave him the exact figure, he was like, "oh, what was our best price $64,500 wasn't it?".... To which i replied, nah mate, if it was $64,500 you would have had my deposit last week, you guys wouldn't budge on $68,500...

So, it just goes to show that they were willing to go mid 60s, but were probably trying to call my bluff on the better interstate deal...
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #311
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've done everything right giving your local dealer a go. Its disappointing they didn't want to give you their best price up front. I reckon that's wrong. Clever way to buy and you definitely done the right thing there.
Old 14-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #312
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always prefer to give the local dealership a chance, as quite often they have come to party. Maybe not with the best price, but by giving me the trade i wanted to minimise my out of pocket expense in paying out lease residuals etc... I don't mind if i pay 2k more for the new car, especially if my trade in payout is covered etc...

Unfortunately on this occasion, they were below the interstate trade in value, and well above the interstate price, so i had to go elsewhere. I ended up selling my car privately anyway, which gained me an extra 5k... It all worked out well in the end! If i had bought locally, i probably wouldn't have bothered listing my car privately and just accepted the trade in.

I get the feeling that they thought i might have been wasting their time or something. I'm a dag at the best of times, and look well under dressed and probably bogan haha... Either way, they saw on the computer when they entered my name how many cars i'd bought, you'd think that would be motivation enough to realise that i don't muck around once i have found the car i want and my money is ready...
Old 14-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #313
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Yup. agree. But when you go to a dealer to negiotiate and haggle, There is a good chance that you have already discussed the prospect of buying a car. I am not disrespecting the women of the world. Of course they must agree about buying a car and the men of the world should discuss the proposition of buying one prior to busting a salespersons chops on price. Would you walk into Harvey Norman and crunch someone on a fridge when you have no intentions of buying one.
Reading this post and your previous ones, I must say I think you are disrespecting the woman of the world. This aint the 1970's anymore and I know a heap of woman who know there way around a car and are great at striking a deal (we are fantastic at negotiating when it comes to shopping for anything)

And this is where a lot of salesmen (yes I stated sales MEN) get it wrong. The divide between men knowing more about cars than woman is shrinking and to me, that is a good thing.

Cheers
Col
Old 14-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #314
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise View Post
)

And this is where a lot of salesmen (yes I stated sales MEN) get it wrong. The divide between men knowing more about cars than woman is shrinking and to me, that is a good thing.

Cheers
Col

Looks like you're not bad at generalizing either!
Old 14-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #315
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

There are far more salesmen than woman in the car industry and all I am saying is a lot discount a woman who wants to buy a car, just on her gender. Being a female does not mean you know nothing about cars.

I can strip and rebuild an engine better than most blokes, and I can talk torque, engine sizes, tyre and diff ratios etc until the cows come home!

Cheers
Col
Old 14-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #316
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit, i have used the old "subject to wife's approval"... not that she won't let me get a car, but sometimes i just want to reassure myself of a particular colour, model and i'll usually ask the wife's opinion. Sometimes it effects my decision, sometimes it doesn't...

At the end of the day, i've never not bought a car because of the wife, she's usually supportive, but i like to keep her in the loop, as i'd like her to keep me in the loop when she's making a decent sized purchase.

Having said that, i didn't tell the wife i test drove a GT... She knew i arranged the finance, but due to our investments etc, i think she thought it would be declined haha so she was happy to go along with it, thinking i wouldn't actually buy a GT. When it was all approved, i think she freaked out a bit lol... She knew what was coming, but didn't know when...

Didn't even tell her i put the deposit down until she gave me a call for for no real reason... Did the old 'bought a jeep' ad... Except, it was a GT...
Old 14-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #317
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04 View Post
I must admit, i have used the old "subject to wife's approval"... not that she won't let me get a car, but sometimes i just want to reassure myself of a particular colour, model and i'll usually ask the wife's opinion. Sometimes it effects my decision, sometimes it doesn't...

At the end of the day, i've never not bought a car because of the wife, she's usually supportive, but i like to keep her in the loop, as i'd like her to keep me in the loop when she's making a decent sized purchase.

Having said that, i didn't tell the wife i test drove a GT... She knew i arranged the finance, but due to our investments etc, i think she thought it would be declined haha so she was happy to go along with it, thinking i wouldn't actually buy a GT. When it was all approved, i think she freaked out a bit lol... She knew what was coming, but didn't know when...

Didn't even tell her i put the deposit down until she gave me a call for for no real reason... Did the old 'bought a jeep' ad... Except, it was a GT...
Well said Jim, More often than not we hear the " I gotta talk to the wife as an excuse. what they are probably meaning to say is, "I don't know if I can finance it so I need to speak to my bank" but either feel embrassed that they have no confidence in their credit rating etc" All I am saying is just level with the dealer and you will more often than not find that the dealer can arrange finance for most at better rates than the banks. Most people be it male or female if they are married have made discussions about potentially buying a car before stepping foot into a dealer.
Old 14-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #318
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise View Post
There are far more salesmen than woman in the car industry and all I am saying is a lot discount a woman who wants to buy a car, just on her gender. Being a female does not mean you know nothing about cars.

I can strip and rebuild an engine better than most blokes, and I can talk torque, engine sizes, tyre and diff ratios etc until the cows come home!

Cheers
Col
It is a male dominated industry (the car sales side of it) cause a high percentage of the negiotations part come from the male factor in relationships.
I would suppose that most of the Tupperware parties that women attend are run by female and bought by females. It certainly does appear that I am generalizing here but I am giving you guys an insight into what I have encountered over the years.
Old 14-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #319
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always make sure i have my finance approved in principal or ready to go when i am serious about buying, unless i'm not overly serious about buying and just sussing out models, in which case then i'll tell the dealer i'm not buying today.

At the end of the day, it's a two way negotiation, despite how some people perceive buying cars. I've bought my fair share, and sometimes i've done better than others.

I'd hate to be a salesman dealing with tyre kickers all day etc, so you can see why sometimes they might not appear to be overly helpful!

These days with the internet, and everything else, it's very easy to know roughly what you want and how much you're willing to pay. Also easy to pick the phone up, call interstate and get a price. This gives an easy baseline of where you expect to be before even visiting a dealership. I always let them know i've done this bit of research and things are usually smooth from there.

I spend hours researching what cars i want to buy, and in the end i know a fair chunk about them, so when i go into the dealership, i basically just need the best price in comparison to other dealerships and the contract!
This user likes this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #320
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I was recently told by 2 dealerships that I'd have at least a 3 month wait on a ranger configuration I was looking at. Fair enough...no go
Was then told by a CARSALESMAN that he could get me ANY ranger anywhere within the week. Despite fords quotes and billions of people on these forums with exact quotes like me...some even longer. Obviously some were easily found.
Obviously a delusional salesman pushing for a sale

My brother bought a near new pajero....motor blew......they refused to repair so he had to threaten office of fair trade as they had tried ripping him off by filling out the paperwork wrong which depended on the cars klm. They wrote a check the day they saw the fair trade letter

Was looking at a 2nd car for my wife...found a near new rav4 she liked but they refused to budge on our maxed budget....only taking 300$ of list price. We'd spent 4hrs looking at the 1 car. We had to walk......he rings back 5 mins after we left and said he'd do a deal and shave 3.5k off if we were serious really....if we were serious....idiot...we walked

I once bought a hilux for work with one condition...replace the 2 BALD tyres. SOLD. Same afternoon the BALD tyres were on the triton right next to mine that my mate had been looking at. He walked

I too could go on and on....my best mate was a CARSALESMAN for awhile and the stories he told me the lifers did to sell cars.....

For the record I've never lied to a dealer...always upfront with what I'm looking at...mostly because I allready know what I want.

My wife has bought her cars with great discounts all by herself.....and she's shy....cudos to her
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #321
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
I was recently told by 2 dealerships that I'd have at least a 3 month wait on a ranger configuration I was looking at. Fair enough...no go
Was then told by a CARSALESMAN that he could get me ANY ranger anywhere within the week. Despite fords quotes and billions of people on these forums with exact quotes like me...some even longer. Obviously some were easily found.
Obviously a delusional salesman pushing for a sale
So what model would you like and what colour. Will have the car ready for you in 1 week. Now put you money where your mouth is. Go on.. I am daring you if you have the fortitude to back your argument. Send me a pm with what you want, your details so I can have one of my guys prepare a contract and extract a deposit and If I cant supply the car within a week, I will lend you a GT to drive till it comes in. So lets now see how full of it you really are!
5 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #322
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gadgetman.. go gadget go..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #323
monzie

go go gadget

remind me not to play poker with you, all in winner.

Pete
monzie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #324
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzie View Post
go go gadget

remind me not to play poker with you, all in winner.

Pete
Who says I was playing. I mean what I say and I say what I mean. Always up for a task that puts a ford in someones garage.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #325
Trump
bitch lasagne

I don't get this "asking the wife for permission" scenario. If it is a car she will be driving on a regular basis (ie, her car), she has complete say in the car she buys. If it is a car I will be driving on a regular basis (ie, my car), she has no say in the matter.

Yes I have a missus.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #326
BlueOvalPrint

Quote:
So what model would you like and what colour. Will have the car ready for you in 1 week. Now put you money where your mouth is. Go on.. I am daring you if you have the fortitude to back your argument. Send me a pm with what you want, your details so I can have one of my guys prepare a contract and extract a deposit and If I cant supply the car within a week, I will lend you a GT to drive till it comes in. So lets now see how full of it you really are!
At, below or above the list price Gadgetman?
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #327
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At list. Above list is unethical and that's something I'm not.
Old 16-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #328
BlueOvalPrint

Good to hear, and glad that there are still decent dealers out there.

I was happy enough to travel from Canberra to Melbourne to buy my G6ET in 2009 not just for a great deal, but for the easy, helpful and zero BS dealing I had with a forum rep from Etheridge Ford. That was THE best buying experience I've ever had for any purchase, minor or major, and even though Andrew left a while after, the fact that Etheridge employed someone of his calibre would make them my first choice to buy from again.
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #329
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalPrint View Post
Good to hear, and glad that there are still decent dealers out there.

I was happy enough to travel from Canberra to Melbourne to buy my G6ET in 2009 not just for a great deal, but for the easy, helpful and zero BS dealing I had with a forum rep from Etheridge Ford. That was THE best buying experience I've ever had for any purchase, minor or major, and even though Andrew left a while after, the fact that Etheridge employed someone of his calibre would make them my first choice to buy from again.
Yup known Andrew for around 15 years or so. Good guy and knows his stuff and deals straight up and down with folks. Last time spoke to him, he was at walkinshaw performance. There are lots of people I know of that bat with a straight bat. There are a few that don't. We often have customers tell us that they would much rather trade their cars than sell them cause its too hard dealing with people when it comes to private sales. Next time you try selling your cars privately. You will meet people that make sense and you will meet people you want to belt over the head with forged piston. That's just life though
Old 17-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #330
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Has anyone else been to other sections in this forum. Like the ranger section. There are many threads that are full of people with wait lists anything from 2weeks to 8 months. So any CARSALESMAN who tries to say they can get what you want anytime anywhere is a liar.......or the other CARSALESMAN out there don't want to sell cars!
And 'talking to your wife' about one of the biggest purchases you ever make is certainly not lieing or bad form on prospective buyers ends. It's smart life skills.

Anyone who thinks that CARSALESMAN get the rough end of the stick is......well I don't know...but they certainly haven't bought many cars.
This forum is FULL of mind numbing lowlife CARSALESMAN pranks,problems and bad form.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post