Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Kian Jorry
Starter Motor

Default Time to replace radiator?

Hi Guys

My ute has covered 230k and Im looking at replacing anything worn or which could be ready to fail.

It was fairly well maintained by the previous owner. I have just changed all coolant/heater hoses, flushed the system and refilled with long life coolant.
Now Ive been reading how the radiator can fail and leak into the auto tranny through the cooling lines. Considering age should I just replace the radiator to lesson the possibility of this happening? They are cheap on ebay at around $100 for a stocker or I see all alloy rads for $280. Also looking at a transmission cooler and doing away with radiator cooling. The cooling system overall is in good condition with very little corrosion on the heater pipes or contaminates in the old cooling fluid.

Any advice appreciated

Kian Jorry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Re: Time to replace radiator?

Apparently trans cooler failure wasnt really an issue with au, but if you do decide to run an external cooler in bypass then as long as coolant is good and nil corrosion in radiator and pressure test is ok you could just keep the current radiator and fit the external in bypass and flush the tranny fluid change filter while you are at it.
If the trans fails and you stop the engine before overheat there will be no damage to engine or trans.

I fitted an external trans cooler kit in bypass and filter and flush to my s1 v8 au a few months ago. Its not driven daily but so far shift quality when cold is stil ok, will let you know about hot weather in a month or two when i tow the boat.

Cheers,
Andrew.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Esteven8

Avoid the cheap Ebay radiators... they are exactly that - Cheap.
If you are set on replacing it, spend the extra and get a decent one.

+1 on running the external trans cooler. As mif73 said, the oil cooler issue wasn't as common with the AU... but if you can eliminate the risk completely, well why not?
Esteven8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Kian Jorry
Starter Motor

Well I'm definitely going to fit the external cooler just for peace of mind.
I see the power brand kits on ebay for the au retail around the $180. What size cooler should I get ? I wont be towing anything or thrashing it.
As suggested going to flush the auto, change the filter then fit the cooler.
Im probably being way to fussy as the ute will have an easy life driving around town as a pick up vehicle but I love my fords in good condition and working as they should.

Thanks Guys
Kian Jorry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post