Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
XR4568

Question Ford Focus 1.6L Ecoboost Option

Guys (and girls),

Now I am sure I'm not the only one, but is it just me or is everyone else keen to see a 1.6L Ecoboost and 6-speed manual option in the range?

The Focus Sport is only 'sport' by name (and maybe suspension tune). With the Focus ST at 38k and the Sport at 26k, there is a massive price different and an obvious product gap that could be filled with the Fiesta ST driveline. This car could take on SP25 and on power turns, Cruze SRi. Low 30's price point.

With Ford Oz new found commitment to technology and becoming an importer only, has anyone heard when Ecoboost will be an option in Focus? Is the issue simply Ford Thailand don't get the engine as yet?

Presumably it will be when the Focus is refreshed. I've asked Ford OZ but get the token response.

Anyone know anything further?

XR4568 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Focus 1.6L Ecoboost Option

100% agree this would be a brilliant car, but it has to better than low 30, s to compete with Cruze...which has a similar motor but is priced mid 20,s.
I read something somewhere about 6 speed manuals being available on Focus in early 2014.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, sounds feasible, and a good option, and might be a marketing gap they can take advantage of. Might be plenty of behind the scenes issues that will hinder this but only Ford can make this call.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
XR4568

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
100% agree this would be a brilliant car, but it has to better than low 30, s to compete with Cruze...which has a similar motor but is priced mid 20,s.
I read something somewhere about 6 speed manuals being available on Focus in early 2014.
Whilst a lower price point would be ideal, I don't think it is realistic given it is an expensive motor to produce. Plus, presumably the refeshed model will have improved quality levels/refinements (notably the interior) and will be pitched as a more premium model over the somewhat amdirable but ultimately crude Cruze. It's direct competitor is SP25 and Highline Golf.

This just makes so much sense to me. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Do it now, Ford!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
XR4568

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajoda View Post
Yeah, sounds feasible, and a good option, and might be a marketing gap they can take advantage of. Might be plenty of behind the scenes issues that will hinder this but only Ford can make this call.
Could be on to something there. I reckon the main factors (not necessarily in this order) are getting competitive pricing, the production switch from 1.6 to the 1.5 version and waiting for the Focus refresh....whenever that is. Presumably sometime in 2014.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
rand0mn00b

don't forget the new Pulsar SSS/ST-S!

I guess the performance of the diesel helps fill the gap somewhat...
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
XR4568

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b View Post
don't forget the new Pulsar SSS/ST-S!

I guess the performance of the diesel helps fill the gap somewhat...
Only in the general markets eyes. The car enthusiast sees right through the lameness and blandness of the SSS. Only semi-decent bit is the engine. Rest is junk
Old 11-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
DeKa

I've been emailing Ford about this since it was first announced that the AU spec would be 2L GDI.

They always reply that there is no plans to import a 1.6 Ecoboost but they will review this based on demand. The last time I emailed them was when the Kuga with 1.6 Ecoboost was launched.

I suggest you all start filling out the contact form on Ford's site so they see some demand.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
XR4568

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
I've been emailing Ford about this since it was first announced that the AU spec would be 2L GDI.

They always reply that there is no plans to import a 1.6 Ecoboost but they will review this based on demand. The last time I emailed them was when the Kuga with 1.6 Ecoboost was launched.

I suggest you all start filling out the contact form on Ford's site so they see some demand.
Good stuff DeKa! I'm hit them up on Facebook before, but might go attack their form too. If I was an IT nerd, I'd write a script to continually hit the form too

Open your eyes and find a way to do it Ford OZ!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been brought up before... trouble is the Ecoboost is not available in anything built out of Thailand.
So its really beyond Ford OZs control.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
XR4568

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Been brought up before... trouble is the Ecoboost is not available in anything built out of Thailand.
So its really beyond Ford OZs control.
Hopefully with Ford Thailand now getting the 1.0l Ecoboost, the 1.5l Ecoboost is a matter of when, not if.