Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default LT replacement head unit

Guys I need some help if you can. I bought a replacement head unit from Ebay and it came with two wiring harness adaptors The end result is to plug into the cars loom I need to cut and join each of these two so I have a connector for the unit and one for the car loom.

Nearly all the wires color code match save for 4 or so and while the unit works the steering controls do not three of the remaining wires on their loom are brown with no differentiation. Any clues from some one who has done this?
This Is the unit : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320846409...84.m1436.l2649

marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: LT replacement head unit

I would have thought that as it says plug and play that you shouldn't have had to cut wires for the install ?? Normally the existing harness should plug straight into the adapter they send you and then everything should work OK once the adjustments are made through the head unit
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unfortunately the loom with the connector that fits the cars wiring loom just has wires coming from it nothing on the ends to connect unless you cut and join them to something.
Needed the connector on the other supplied patch loom to fit the back of the head unit but the plug did not fit the LT loom. so needed to cut their supplied loom and join in the other supplied loom. Matching colour coded wire worked for all but 4 wires.
I had bought it cause it was supposed to be plug & play but it must cover too many models to succeed that simply.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I just bought mine for the LV and it says much the same plug and play, it better be or it will be going back to H.K. I'm not prepared to start chopping into existing wiring to make it work :( Having said that though I did purchase a similar unit in the past for a VW Golf and it was a simple plug and play and everything lined up perfectly only problem was the unit itself was so buggy in the end I was supplied new firmware for it from the seller, loaded that which improved it overall but it would still play up a bit every now and then so I removed it sold it on eBay and bought a genuine VW Sat Nav unit from a seller in Lithuania and never looked back after that Sorry I can't help you with the wiring, have you tried contacting the eBay seller and asking them what goes to where ??
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post