Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default 2009 Focus Starting Issue

Yesterday I traveled to my mums 250klm to Tucumwal whilst there I serviced her car, changed oil & filter, air filter and topped up water.
I started the car yesterday without an issue after the filling oil, also started it and drove back into the garage after fitting a new air filter.
This morning mum turns the key and it wont start, it just continues to turn over without firing.
She has noticed a different light came on the dash, right hand side.
Any help would be appreciated.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: 2009 Focus Starting Issue

Does it just keep cranking and not firing, then when you go off and try again it will fire up fine?

Or just still won't fire.

Because my first Focus had an issue where it would just crank crank crank crank, not fire, then if you went to off and back to start it again it would fire up fine.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

What / where exactly is the new light? The check engine light is on the right hand side within the speedo. Do you have an OBDII scanner?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Does it just keep cranking and not firing, then when you go off and try again it will fire up fine?

Or just still won't fire.

Because my first Focus had an issue where it would just crank crank crank crank, not fire, then if you went to off and back to start it again it would fire up fine.
This morning it just went crank crank crank no firing.
Mum had to go out, her friend had to pick her up I will get her to try it again when she comes home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
What / where exactly is the new light? The check engine light is on the right hand side within the speedo. Do you have an OBDII scanner?
I am back in Melb when she gets home I will have her look in her service book see what the light is, no scanner and my poor mum the only thing she can do to a car is fuel it up, her partner who has some car knowledge is in Hospital.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Ok let us know how it goes. If it is an engine light, see if you can borrow a scanner, pull the code and diagnose the fault.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
SpoolMan

The light is the Engine warning light is on.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you anywhere near NE suburbs of Melbourne? You're welcome to borrow my scanner (if you happen to be heading back up to your mum's place)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sounds like its immobilised for some reason.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Sounds like its immobilised for some reason.
I was thinking that as well, turns out the engine light is always there when the car is cranking over and she has only just noticed it.

Late afternoon I spoke (Dave) DP747 he is on the road with the RACV here in Melb, he asked me what happened I explained it in detail and he picked the problem strait away and told me they see it often the car was flooded, yes flooded, the fix was hold your foot flat to the floor and crank the car until it comes back, it will chug a bit then clears itself and runs normal.
This required a lot battery power so mum waited until the RACV guy in Tocumwal connected his jump batteries, once the car was going she went for a long drive to recharge the battery.
Apparently what happens if you do a cold start and run the car for only a few seconds it still has a belly full of fuel and this causes starting issues, never heard of it with EFI, the old carburetor days it was more common.
Thanks everyone for the input and Dave I owe you a coke.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

That 'foot to the floor' trick! Oh the memories... In the 180B, dads XA and XF and my Sprite. All Carby. Didn't think you could flood an EFI motor??????

Anyway, sounds like it's sorted.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thats odd, I too didn't think you could flood an EFI system, learn something new every day I guess.