Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Career advice

Hi all,

As the title says i am interested in what others here think will be some of the best skills etc needed in the future.

I am currently working fulltime and am thinking of doing some study but am stuck on what to do.

My current job is safe at the moment but things do change quickly, especially in the automotive industry.

So what are your suggestions, thoughts or advice.

I am open to all sorts, i have been to single minded to long so don't be afraid.

thanks in advance

zlcrazy

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Kryton

Default Re: Career advice

Sparky.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
snailbate
snailbate

There is a tafe course after the apprentship
which would take youy up to the next level in you carrer
Terry
snailbate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://www.kangan.edu.au

These guys are the kings of the automotive industry when it comes to training, we just got a new campus which cost $130 million in Docklands, world class facilities now. If you want to continue in the same industry but move elsewhere, here is the place to go.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

What do you like (or think you would like) doing ?
What are you good at doing ?

If you land a job that meets both criteria you're on a winner.
Old 17-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Spinner77

Quote:
What do you like (or think you would like) doing ?
What are you good at doing ?
These are great questions. Here are a couple more:

What is the future demand for the occupation? This is a tough one, since we cannot predict the future. But it's worth thinking about. There's not a lot of work for lion-tamers!

How conscientious are you prepared to be, really? You have to be prepared to compete, and to do that will take a lot of hard yakka. One of the problems with the current education system is that it places huge emphasis on skills, as opposed to knowledge. In the real world, knowledge is at least as important, if you are going to be a master of what you do. Getting your knowledge base to the expert level will take a lot of effort and discipline.
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I guess for my 2c I would say going into being a sales or account rep is a safe way to go after a few years.

I'm going for an interview this afternoon for a job as a junior account rep for in dash touch screens for new cars, the perks of the job are company car and bonuses.

The reason I chose sales and being a supplier rep though is because if the industry starts to become stagnant (which it is in my current job for solar hot water), it is easy enough to change industries; sales and reps aren't limited to one industry.

But it really depends on you, because I suggest getting into sales, someone else might say become a truck driver, then someone else might say become a school teacher or something random like that. I know my job well enough to know what it entails should you be looking at a sales role, but what industry exactly are you looking for? Or if you want to stay in the automotive industry, where in the automotive industry? auto trades? sales? management? dare I say accounting?
Old 17-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm I'm gonna put Town/city planner out there as cities and buildings are always going to be around although with the way our population is going i'm not sure aye or you could become a surveyer.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mining.

Australia will soon be just one big quarry.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
Mining.

so true
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
Mining.

I moved from WA because going through school, the mentality was

"If you're ever going to make any money in this country, work in the mines"

So half of the male graduating year I was in went and got a job in the mines. They don't know what they will do if they want to change industries because they didn't bother thinking about potential change
Old 17-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlcrazy
Hi all,

As the title says i am interested in what others here think will be some of the best skills etc needed in the future.

I am currently working fulltime and am thinking of doing some study but am stuck on what to do.

My current job is safe at the moment but things do change quickly, especially in the automotive industry.

So what are your suggestions, thoughts or advice.

I am open to all sorts, i have been to single minded to long so don't be afraid.

thanks in advance

zlcrazy
Become self employed...everything else is crap.

Don't wanna get dirty?

Do a degree that gets a professional qualification...

Doctor,dentist,optometrist,Vet,lawyer,accountant.. ..etc

You get to be self employed and make money for life.

Avoid...teacher,nurse, etc...unless you plan on buying your own hospital or school.

IT? .....you've missed the boat by 20 years if not more...

Don't mind getting dirty?

Building trade qualifications...carpenter,bricklayer,plasterer etc

The cash and tax avoidance opportunities will make it worthwhile.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Spinner77

Just a word of caution about self-employment. Opinions will differ of course. But here are some issues, in my humble opinion.

Not everyone is suited to it. You need a wide range of abilities, especially sales and marketing.

You need to be able to cope with worry. Every business, at some time or other, will go through tough times. A lot don't make it. Just ask around. It's not just because they are bad businessmen. Imagine you had started up a new travel agency business on the day before 9/11!

As a sole operator, you have a big disadvantage against bigger outfits. This is that you cannot provide their level of service. You can't be in two places at the one time. Then there are the non-payers and the slow payers who will send you to Ashley and Martin faster than you think.

Don't imagine that you get to spend what's left after expenses and tax. Businesses that survive tend to put away a fair whack for future investment, to cover bad debts, unexpected expenses, being sued and so on. This is called retained profits. It is a very important concept. Ask any decent accountant.

Never, ever be seduced by tax advantages. The key is to generate income. If you do that consistently you will survive. Probably.

Oh, and did I mention sales and marketing?
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
Miss_XR6

^^^ I work in travel and while 9/11, tsunamas, earthquakers affect everybody else it doesnt hurt travel as people find another area to go to instead of the area affected and end up spending more and its a better win for us
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post