Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Day-mow
rexnet

Default Machining rotors

Can you machine rotors and leave old pads in if they have enough life in them?

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Default Re: Machining rotors

You can, but it's not a good idea...
Because the pads have formed to the shape of the discs before machining, they wont sit flush against the disc..
That will cause them to squeak...

Also depending on how bad the discs were, it could also cause issues with braking and pedal feel..

If I were you I'd just change the pads..
If $$$ is tight, just wait a few more weeks..!

Cheers
Kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Yes, no problem.
Old 18-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm gonna say combo of the previous 2 responses. If the brakes are shuddering, and you get rotors machined, and use the old pads, you may still feel some shudder, in which case buy new pads. If no shudder with old pads, continue........
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Day-mow
rexnet

thanks guys!

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 18-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'm gonna say combo of the previous 2 responses. If the brakes are shuddering, and you get rotors machined, and use the old pads, you may still feel some shudder, in which case buy new pads. If no shudder with old pads, continue........
If the rotors are machined true, there won't be any shudder, no matter what pads are used.
The only thing which happens with old pads on new or machined rotors is the mating surface isn't perfect for a little while, perhaps a 100k's or so.

Once the high spots have worn off the pads, all will be back to normal.

If you were really pedantic, you could always scuff the face of the pads with some 80 grit sand paper to flatten them. It's not really necessary though.
Old 18-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd go new pads with machining.

I simply figure, if I change the pads as well, I'll not have to be concerned about it again for ages.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`d put the old pads back in and save new ones for the next new set of disc`s, once you`ve had your discs machined they will probably have a shorter life span anyway, they heat up faster and warp again in a shorter time, and they will be closer to minimum thickness next time(probably throw aways) .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
Day-mow
rexnet

these have been machined once alredy so its possible im dreaming to get them done again. but hoping i can.
if i have to replace them DBA 4000 and probably epic QFM pads

Old 19-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Sox
RIP...

I guess the big question is, why are you machining them?
Old 19-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Day-mow
rexnet

Warping. I drive hard at times and they tend to warp a bit. Altho qfm pads are a lot nicer then my experience with bendix.

Regular bendix had them warping in bout 10,000 km.

Old 19-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
4ford

Guys...
The very first thing you do following the replacement of disc pads, whether they are new pads/new rotors, or new pads/machined rotors, or old pads/ new rotors, or old pads/machined rotors, it doesn't matter which, the first thing you should do is "bed them in", that is, go for a short drive,(after pumping the brakes up), and do a couple, maybe three, very hard stops, but don't actually stop, just down to a very low speed (walking speed).
This technique will ensure the pad surface has re-aligned to the new rotor surface, thereby giving best braking performance right away!
The reason I say 'don't stop' is that I don't want the now very hot pads remaining in one spot on the rotor, which may cause the initial stages of rotor warping.

Just like, whenever you are subsequently driving and have to brake hard for some reason, like a red light etc., you get off the brakes as soon as you can after you've stopped, or if it's an auto, just allow the car to creep very small amounts forward after stopping, to spread the resultant heat build-up all around the rotor, instead of just in one place!

Concentration of heat in one spot will cause the eventual warping of the rotors.

Cheers...
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
Day-mow
rexnet

I always bed pads in. Even when it says they don't need it.