Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #61
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Re: France's new Commodore rival Renault Latitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
In Belgium ...

Genk Plant
It's also made in:
  • Vsevolozhsk, Russia
  • Chongqing, China
  • Tao-Yuan, Taiwan
  • Rayong, Thailand

So which one do we get?
Old 18-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #62
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
It's also made in:
  • Vsevolozhsk, Russia
  • Chongqing, China
  • Tao-Yuan, Taiwan
  • Rayong, Thailand

So which one do we get?
The Belgian ones.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #63
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Oh! Thanks mate

Too bad I've been a member there since 2006 Been a member here (and the Fordforums US which came before it) for a lot longer

There are two car manufacturers I have a passion for, one is Ford, one is Renault. We aren't so different after all. Respect my passion and right to be passionate about a Renault, just as I respect you have a passion for a 93 model ED...

Wretched - Cheers mate, I didn't think what I posted was that hard to understand.
Sorry. Don't mean to get all blunt, and shooty down. But going completely all wrap on Ford... on a Ford site. Just doesn't feel like the place for it.

It is unfortunate that some people get problems with theirs. But with Fords... it seems like, if you get one problem... expect a cascade more. But if you don't.... the bastard will go on forever. I guess some cars are just cursed as they come off the line.

I also like Renault. They are my Favourite of the Frenchists. They seem more mental... and give it a go then the other two.
Old 18-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #64
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The Belgian ones.
So then maybe Ford Aus could make the car here. Considering they're making it on the Euro... and in the EU... they're likely to have the same workers rights, entitlements, and benefits... and probably more than we do in Astraaya.
Old 18-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #65
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Do you have facts that prove what you've just shat out of your mouth? Didn't think so.
And your opinion is stupid because it is far from fact. One dud car doesn't warrant a generalisation on one of Europes biggest selling makes.
I'll bet you a good sum the electric motor for your convertible wasn't a Citroen part to start with.
At the end of the day a 1950s Citroen has more technology than that heap in your avatar. If Europe weren't innovators and remained in the stone age or waited for someone else to take the lead then you might be singing their praises for producing mediocre crap like Japan and Korea.
All dead end techonology.
Where is it used now? they had a swoopy body on the DS, loved by some, hated by others.
How many French classic cars after ww2? not many compared to other Euro countries.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #66
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It's also made in:
  • Vsevolozhsk, Russia
  • Chongqing, China
  • Tao-Yuan, Taiwan
  • Rayong, Thailand

So which one do we get?
Like I said....

The Belgium ones ,,,

Keep Surfing ......
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #67
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Like I said....

The Belgium ones ,,,

Keep Surfing ......
Actually. Paxton said "The Belgian Ones". You just said the Mondeo was made in Belgium.

FoA probably could add Mondeo to the line. Considering the value of our dollar against the Euro.
Old 19-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #68
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Compare its equipment level to the G6E and for around $6k less, makes the G6E look povo pack..
Old 19-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #69
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
How many French classic cars after ww2? not many compared to other Euro countries.
Oh no, you aren't serious are you? Holy worms batman! the can opener is out, do you want to continue opening it?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #70
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All dead end techonology.
Where is it used now? they had a swoopy body on the DS, loved by some, hated by others.
Dead end technology? Power steering, independent suspension, disc brakes, semi auto/clutchless gearboxes, self leveling suspension, swiveling headlights, fibre glass panels/weight reduction, all in the mid 1950s! (Citroen DS) Hardly dead end technology and helped laid the basis for what we have today (well, the Koreans and most jappas still need a bit of catching up to do). And the best part about it is for the time you'd expect such advances to be in a top of the line car (Jag XK, Mercedes SL), instead these were a popular selling family car in Europe.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #71
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
So then maybe Ford Aus could make the car here. Considering they're making it on the Euro... and in the EU... they're likely to have the same workers rights, entitlements, and benefits... and probably more than we do in Astraaya.
Nearly happened about three years ago, when Mr. T was running Ford Australia. That being said, we also were getting Focus.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #72
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Does Bruce Newton honestly believe that Renault used a Commodore as a bench mark vehicle when designing their Latitude model? WTF are the journos smoking?
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #73
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I think its a nice looking car. I'd certainly consider it if I was shopping for a car in that segment.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #74
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Do you have facts that prove what you've just shat out of your mouth? Didn't think so.
And your opinion is stupid because it is far from fact. One dud car doesn't warrant a generalisation on one of Europes biggest selling makes.
I'll bet you a good sum the electric motor for your convertible wasn't a Citroen part to start with.
At the end of the day a 1950s Citroen has more technology than that heap in your avatar. If Europe weren't innovators and remained in the stone age or waited for someone else to take the lead then you might be singing their praises for producing mediocre crap like Japan and Korea.
Sad to say.... 'mediocre crap' seems to have pretty good reliability and low cost of ownership. It was very hard for me to find any French car near the top 10 of any reliabilty list... actually I didn't find any.

I did find a 2007 survey. The humble Citroen managed to scrape in at number 10. The top 8 were 'Jap crap'.

I couldn't even find anything more recent with the hint of a French car, can you??

Fast Fwd a few years. Hyundai and the crap Korea is making is blitzing the sales chart globally. Sure, European cars may sell well in Europe but this is Australia.

I also did a search regarding servicing. Sorry again. French cars seem much more expensive to run. I compared an 08 Yaris with 08 C3. Same service km and month interval. One costs $226 and the other costs $280 from the same cervice centre. You can guess which cost belongs to which car.

So this big french car is up against our local line up? Will you think it will cost more, the same or less to run and service??

Perhaps customer satisfaction??? Sorry, couldn't find much that warrants a mention in any survey.

Reliability??? Nope. It may be improving, but isn't 'up there' with the other crap thats selling well.

My Festiva is long gone, not by mechanical problems, but by a silly accident. I can tell you that they ARE bullet proof. It NEVER needed to be 'fixed' and it was far from a heap. Shame I couldn't say the same for my more 'premuim European' other car I have mentioned previously... But, you sound like you have direct experience with the Festiva to know it's rubbish I take it??

I have an LV Diesel Focus in the garage at the moment as well BTW (yes, I know where the motor is from...)

My Citroen's electric motor wasn't a Citroen part?? Oh?? Perhaps I should have called Ford or Toyota?? And if it isn't a French part, who do I blame for having poor quality control??

So... I'm far from the only person who thinks European cars (and lets concentrate on French cars) cost more to run and are not as relaible as the competition?? Or is everyone else wrong?

After all that shatting (again) perhaps YOU can provide me some FACTS to say otherwise??

And with respect, perhaps keep replies civil next time.... replying to me saying that my input is baseless and unfounded without your own facts is far from convincing don't you think??

It will make for a much more educational discussion (for the both of us perhaps?)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #75
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dead end technology? Power steering, independent suspension, disc brakes, semi auto/clutchless gearboxes, self leveling suspension, swiveling headlights, fibre glass panels/weight reduction, all in the mid 1950s! (Citroen DS) Hardly dead end technology and helped laid the basis for what we have today (well, the Koreans and most jappas still need a bit of catching up to do). And the best part about it is for the time you'd expect such advances to be in a top of the line car (Jag XK, Mercedes SL), instead these were a popular selling family car in Europe.
All done by other makes in other countries or not used any more.
DS, rattly motor from the light 15
Susupension sustem that isnt used anymore.
Swivelling headlights- done by someone else.
Shifter in the middle of the dashboard - noone wants it.

Check what GM and Chrisler had in the 50's and early 60's.
Old 20-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #76
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh no, you aren't serious are you? Holy worms batman! the can opener is out, do you want to continue opening it?
Sure why not.
Besides the Facel Vega, Simca Aronde Plan ciel, And Panhard Tigre, what is there?
the DS? bleh !!!
Old 20-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #77
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Nice car 4 the money and yes some nice little gadgets, but still lacking 80kw and prob a heap of torque to keep up with Aussie muscle.
Old 20-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #78
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All done by other makes in other countries or not used any more.
DS, rattly motor from the light 15
Susupension sustem that isnt used anymore.
Swivelling headlights- done by someone else.
Shifter in the middle of the dashboard - noone wants it.

Check what GM and Chrisler had in the 50's and early 60's.
What was GM stand out model, the 57 Eldorado Brougham? Nice cars for sure, just as well it sold like hotcakes and was affordable to the average family (yeah right). Dunno much about Chrysler you might have to let us know. You're missing the point of the DS and what it bought to the new car buyer at the time. It was ahead of its time unlike the average pom or yank car. Wan't GMs claim to fame was 1 hp per cui back in 1957, 283/283. Hardly note worthy.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #79
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What was GM stand out model, the 57 Eldorado Brougham? Nice cars for sure, just as well it sold like hotcakes and was affordable to the average family (yeah right). Dunno much about Chrysler you might have to let us know. You're missing the point of the DS and what it bought to the new car buyer at the time. It was ahead of its time unlike the average pom or yank car. Wan't GMs claim to fame was 1 hp per cui back in 1957, 283/283. Hardly note worthy.
Either you love the DS or youre a heterosexual.
Sums it up.

GM had, fuel injection in 57, power windows, AC, power steering in 55.
Turbo car in 62.

Chrysler had the hemi, the styling of the New Yorker, the 413 with cross rams.
Old 20-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #80
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Either you love the DS or youre a heterosexual.
Sums it up.
Hey come on. Gay slurs ain't cool. Leave that out of it. It only proves you're a creature of lesser intelligence, and argumentative capacity..

You're not correct about the DS, It's a classic, and just because in your opinion it's "bleh" (and hey I dont blame you, she's a polarising one), doesn't go against the overwhelming agreeance she's a french post war classic.

I must say I'm impressed with your knowledge (and I hope it wasn't Google) of post war frenchies, but you're missing many.

The Citroen DS goes witout saying.
The SM was a classic, and the Successor to the DS
The Citoren DX
Peugeot 403 (pininfarina designed) and 404 were Classics of their time
Peugeot 504 rallye
Peugeot 1.9 GTI
Don't forget the Renault R8 Gordini, Renault 12 Gordini
Renault Alpine a110 (absolutely pants shiftingly gorgeous)
Renault Alpine a310
Renault Alpine GTA
Renault 5 Turbo rallye
Renaultsport Clio 255 V6

We may not ever agree, but I'm pretty sure France has had a great fair share of classics even after they waved the white flag in WWII

As for Chrysler and GM.... Doing swimmingly these days aren't they?
Old 20-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #81
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey come on. Gay slurs ain't cool. Leave that out of it. It only proves you're a creature of lesser intelligence, and argumentative capacity..

You're not correct about the DS, It's a classic, and just because in your opinion it's "bleh" (and hey I dont blame you, she's a polarising one), doesn't go against the overwhelming agreeance she's a french post war classic.

I must say I'm impressed with your knowledge (and I hope it wasn't Google) of post war frenchies, but you're missing many.

The Citroen DS goes witout saying.
The SM was a classic, and the Successor to the DS
The Citoren DX
Peugeot 403 (pininfarina designed) and 404 were Classics of their time
Peugeot 504 rallye
Peugeot 1.9 GTI
Don't forget the Renault R8 Gordini, Renault 12 Gordini
Renault Alpine a110 (absolutely pants shiftingly gorgeous)
Renault Alpine a310
Renault Alpine GTA
Renault 5 Turbo rallye
Renaultsport Clio 255 V6

We may not ever agree, but I'm pretty sure France has had a great fair share of classics even after they waved the white flag in WWII

As for Chrysler and GM.... Doing swimmingly these days aren't they?
Just in jest, car fans have been saying that about the DS for yonks.
Either love them or hate them.
I forgot the SM ok, with the Maserati motor.
The Alpine while a classic wasnt done by Renault, by the son of a Renault dealer.

The French makers have had bailouts too, so much that the EU court has found them unfair and were threatening legal action at one stage.
Old 20-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #82
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Just in jest, car fans have been saying that about the DS for yonks.
Either love them or hate them.
I forgot the SM ok, with the Maserati motor.
The Alpine while a classic wasnt done by Renault, by the son of a Renault dealer.

The French makers have had bailouts too, so much that the EU court has found them unfair and were threatening legal action at one stage.
Ah Oui Oui, back in the 80's.. True you got me there, however polarising though, their cars are selling these days. Well played

Technically, Alpines used Renault engines hence my reference to Renault Alpine. That's my fault there, I'm acting like the Aussie Media when they say that Russell Crowe is Ours (God knows why) even though he is born in NZ... Regardless, the Alpine is still an example of post war French classique (liking my splicing of designer French?).

MethodX you seem to know a bit of your sh** Did you know the SM shared an interior with the Maserati Marak?