Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default quick question for qld members

My mate's up in townsville at the moment for his army training/posting and he's interested in buying my car.. now my question is with a change of rego from my state (SA) to QLD does the car need to go over an inspection? since my car has been turbo'd aftermarket and although it has all been done professionally and factory set up it has not been registered/engineered as turbo

was thinking he should just keep in SA rego at his home address if there is going to be an inspection

Old 26-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes he will need an inspection done..

Does he hold a QLD licence?
If he does, and is pulled over by Police then it will cause some dramas.
As his home address wont match.
If he holds a SA licence and is pulled over and dressed in his uniform they will ask him how long he has been here and then ask him why he hasnt yet got himself a QLD licence...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'll find that ADF are exempt from the licence change due to them always moving around. Not 100% sure just something I've picked up on around the traps.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
mick10010

There are specific guidelines on interstate licensing for ADF personnel it but i have forgotten exactly what they are. Coppers have never hassled me in NSW or QLD about my NT license in or out of uniform. Good ones won't bother you but i guess there's always gonna be a bad egg that will try and string you with some bureaucratic nonsense.

Sorry can't help with the original question, you would expect it to require an inspection though.
mick10010 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt47569
My mate's up in townsville at the moment for his army training/posting and he's interested in buying my car.. now my question is with a change of rego from my state (SA) to QLD does the car need to go over an inspection? since my car has been turbo'd aftermarket and although it has all been done professionally and factory set up it has not been registered/engineered as turbo

was thinking he should just keep in SA rego at his home address if there is going to be an inspection
To register in QLD it will need engineering certification and have a mod plate fitted. This will need to be done before you can get a Saftey Certificate - you need a Saftey Certificate to register in QLD.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QLD Roadworthy is $64.50 and valid for 1,000kms or 3 months. Then you gotta do it again!!Anna needs the money!!!!
DEFENCE DRIVING LICENCE SCHEME 1
INTRODUCTION 1
1. With the exception of Victoria and Northern Territory (NT), Commonwealth, State and Territory
authorities have agreed to the implementation of a Defence Driving Licence Scheme (DDLS) for
Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel and for eligible members of their families. Under the DDLS,
personnel and their families driving licences will be recognised throughout Australia and thus no
requirement will exist to change a driving licence solely because of a transfer interstate. However, on
expiry, licences are to be renewed in the current State or Territory of domicile.
http://www.defence.gov.au/adfpcc/forms/gp17_02.pdf
Old 27-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #7
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah alright well he is getting his license transferred to a QLD one i know that much since he will be there for 4 years probably.. I was more so just wondering if they only did a VIN check etc when a car is transferred but if it has got to be engineered etc then it would be easier for him to buy something already there
Old 27-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
I think you'll find that ADF are exempt from the licence change due to them always moving around. Not 100% sure just something I've picked up on around the traps.
If they move their residential address (ie posting) they have to transfer registration as that state is their place of residence. If they are interstate for a limited time (eg 3 month course) they do not have to as their residential address has not changed.
Old 27-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO

Nope they are not exempt.... All members of the ADF must have comply with state laws no ifs or butts... They dont need to have a civilian licence to drive a defence vehicle (only a defence licence) nor are they required to display to the police their civilian licence when driving a defence vehicle, are the only differences.

Old 27-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
QLD Roadworthy is $64.50 and valid for 1,000kms or 3 months. Then you gotta do it again!!Anna needs the money!!!!
DEFENCE DRIVING LICENCE SCHEME 1
INTRODUCTION 1
1. With the exception of Victoria and Northern Territory (NT), Commonwealth, State and Territory
authorities have agreed to the implementation of a Defence Driving Licence Scheme (DDLS) for
Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel and for eligible members of their families. Under the DDLS,
personnel and their families driving licences will be recognised throughout Australia and thus no
requirement will exist to change a driving licence solely because of a transfer interstate. However, on
expiry, licences are to be renewed in the current State or Territory of domicile.
http://www.defence.gov.au/adfpcc/forms/gp17_02.pdf

Will have to look into that one....
They keep reminding all members to make sure they have transferred all their licences/ electoral addresses etc etc everytime..... have never heard of it before.

Old 27-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
mick10010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
They dont need to have a civilian licence to drive a defence vehicle (only a defence licence) nor are they required to display to the police their civilian licence when driving a defence vehicle, are the only differences.
I'm pretty sure you still need a civvy license to drive defense vehicles, you are still driving on public roads.
mick10010 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick10010
I'm pretty sure you still need a civvy license to drive defense vehicles, you are still driving on public roads.

Like I said, a defence force member does not need to produce a civvy licence to the Police when driving a defence vehicle. If they need a state license to drive a defence vehicle then whats the point of having a defence licence???

Old 27-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its probably something similar to my old job. I had to have Airservices Australia licence to drive vehicles on an airport but still had to have civvy for off airport.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 27-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

ok so im in the Army up here in townsville, i had my old xr8 for four years on my victorian license with victorian rego and had it as my address from VIC. i only changed my license to QLD as i bought a car from here and i had to have a QLD license. If they pull him over he just needs to say he is temporarily posted up here and that it constantly changes. hope that helps
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
ok so im in the Army up here in townsville, i had my old xr8 for four years on my victorian license with victorian rego and had it as my address from VIC. i only changed my license to QLD as i bought a car from here and i had to have a QLD license. If they pull him over he just needs to say he is temporarily posted up here and that it constantly changes. hope that helps
alright thanks i'll get him to find out from the army if the rego HAS to be changed looks like it doesnt..
Old 27-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Its probably something similar to my old job. I had to have Airservices Australia licence to drive vehicles on an airport but still had to have civvy for off airport.
Your licence is to cover airside access.... not to drive on roads.
Its an OH@S thing....
Its like a forklift licence... If you have a forklift ticket and no licence you cant drive on the road.

A Defence Licence is not linked to a civvy licence.. I can have HC stamped on my defence licence and drive on the open road and not have a HC civvy licence.
Hence if i am pulled over all i show is my defence licence... my civvy licence doesnt reflect what i have stamped on the defence one.

If i get done for DD on a civvy licence, i dont loose my defence one (unless you get racked over the coals by the boss of the unit)

Old 27-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #17
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know its only good for airside!! If I lost my civvy then I could still drive airside.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 28-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My point was that your airside access is not a recognised licence.....

Old 28-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #19
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
alright thanks i'll get him to find out from the army if the rego HAS to be changed looks like it doesnt..
Wrong, it does have to be changed, as has been said twice. That rule about not changing was for license and not rego.

Vehicle rego still has to be for the state in which you reside, any change in residential address requires you to change your rego within a prescribed time frame according to the particular state law.

There is no provision for retaining another states rego if you are in the defence force. The fact that some in the forces do not change their rego does not mean it is legal, just means they have not done it. Just like there are some ambo's within Queensland Ambulance that still have Vic, ACT and NSW registration on their cars.

I once had an RSM that was so particular about your rego being correct that after 6 months of continuously giving orders that people change their rego over, he even charged someone with "Failure to comply with an order" when he refused to do so. This was because it was in a small town and the local cops used to give the RSM a hard time about al the Army boys getting around without the correct rego.

By the way, it is also very true you can have a defence license without a civilian license. Legally it can be done and I actually had a defence license for HR before I even had a civilian HR license. I could drive army HR vehicles but not civilian ones anywhere in Australia or anywhere else in the world the Army sent me.
Old 28-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Gecko.....

Old 28-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Thanks Gecko.....
No worries.