Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #121
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I find the general public believe everything they hear on the TV.

I think both Mazda3s and the Focus are infinitely nicer cars than the Corolla, but the Corolla seems to outsell.

The TE Magna-380 were great cars that got panned in the media. Once again, inifinitely nicer than the equivalent Corolla of the day. The TE and TF had the best standard transmission between the big four as well...

I think the Falcon today is underrated by too many, but misconceptions are formed when peckerheads like Dowling unashamedly can it while praising his Commodore.

I can not speak highly enough of the XF Falcon either. They were a great all-round vehicle. Great for carrying loads (either for holiday or work), and plenty of room.

The AUs were NOT hideous. With a spoiler on the back, I reckon they look fantastic, and I like the front lights, despite others not.

The AU has aged significantly better than the VT. A well-kept VT looks good, but you see a lot out there that look well-used.
I tend to see AUs generally still in good condition, and they still look fresh due to the New Edge Styling. Even Mercedes seem to have taken cues - most likely unintentionally, but goes to show that what was a 'hideous' car at $30,000 is a beautiful one at $160,000 and a Mercedes badge tacked on.
I often pick those Benses out and say check out the AU rear end.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #122
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERG_51
I often pick those Benses out and say check out the AU rear end.
What REALLY irritated me was driving behind a lovely Chinese woman up Jells Road in one of them. Going at 40km/h in a 60 zone, she had no idea what she was doing, and I know that she will never appreciate that car for what it is...

For her, it's merely a status symbol...

I know of one fella who's had his AUIII? (II or III...most likely III) for years, and to quote, 'it's by far the best car I've ever had.'

He refuses to get rid of it until it packs in.

They were good, reliable cars that I thought looked great.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 01:51 AM   #123
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it has to be the AU, mocked for its uglyness for years but revered by those that know just how good it is, long live the AU Falcon !!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #124
RAPID_BA
Banned

Unfortunately buyers of cars do judge a book by its cover
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #125
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
Some would probably say Leyland P-76 also despite their so called reliability issues. It's funny that these days if someone writes something bad about the P-76 on an online forum like this, there's always someone there to defend them.

As for overrated cars, the '57 Chevy would be up there in my list because there were plenty of other good looking American cars around in the 1950s. Chevrolet made more than just one model in the 1950s you know.
Ha Ha great thread mining! I like the way you just slipped into it like it was just yesterday.

Yeh the P 76 was something very different when they first came out. I think that the whole budget to design, build and bring them to market was a measly 20 mill. Even in 73 this still would not have been no where near enough coin to develop a brand new car like this from scratch, or even take on the big three either for that matter. They did look good well kinda but they really suffered from bad build and quality issues that would make the early EA’s look like a Mercedes!.

In the end they lasted in production for only 18 months and they built just 15,000 units only. They did have a lot of innovation such as alloy body bits and the famous 44 gallon drum boot capacity so this is why they were probably underrated and also probably why some feel the need to defend them maybe. It certainly is not because they were a great car that's for sure!

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #126
THE4RD
Landau - personal luxury

Mitsubishi Verada:
3.5L V6 never missed a beat
4 speed auto
Climate control
Cruise control

Tows the boat - no problems
Tows the Landau too!

Old 16-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #127
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see a few people have mentioned the Magna. I agree.

I owned a 2000 Solara 3.5L V6. It was pretty good car. Magnas tend to leak oil often, but overall it was great. My only dislike was the FWD.
I would of loved if mine was AWD.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #128
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I find the general public believe everything they hear on the TV.

I think both Mazda3s and the Focus are infinitely nicer cars than the Corolla, but the Corolla seems to outsell.

The TE Magna-380 were great cars that got panned in the media. Once again, inifinitely nicer than the equivalent Corolla of the day. The TE and TF had the best standard transmission between the big four as well...

I think the Falcon today is underrated by too many, but misconceptions are formed when peckerheads like Dowling unashamedly can it while praising his Commodore.

I can not speak highly enough of the XF Falcon either. They were a great all-round vehicle. Great for carrying loads (either for holiday or work), and plenty of room.

The AUs were NOT hideous. With a spoiler on the back, I reckon they look fantastic, and I like the front lights, despite others not.

The AU has aged significantly better than the VT. A well-kept VT looks good, but you see a lot out there that look well-used.
I tend to see AUs generally still in good condition, and they still look fresh due to the New Edge Styling. Even Mercedes seem to have taken cues - most likely unintentionally, but goes to show that what was a 'hideous' car at $30,000 is a beautiful one at $160,000 and a Mercedes badge tacked on.
couldnt agree more.

ask people who know little about cars, which car they think is a newer model when a vt/vx is parked next to an au (particularly the base models)...the answer 9.9 times out of 10 "the au"

most under ratted car ? ef/el xr6 - manual.
people still cant believe my ef xr6 sat side by side with my old mans old vs clubsport to 110 from a standing start. the fact that the interior and build quality of the ef shat all over the vs was just icing !

i still miss that car dearly...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #129
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I agree with the AU. Any AU with IRS and preferably the 5 litre would make great car to own.

I'll be going "back to the future" soon and buying one. I bought an AU Fairmont new in '99 and 3 new cars later I seem to be drawn back to buying one....Under rated and right priced IMO.

LOL Our first caravan was like that, I still to this day cannot find a decent replacement!
As for the AU, very underrated. Strong temptation to go "back to the future" here as well!

Lots of great engineering went into it, the XR8s are well balanced and a sweet steer, the AUIXR6/8 body kit is pure wild, the Fairmont Ghias (series 2 onward best) are incredible value for money and fantastic highway cars, the VCT 6 is impressive, the build quality is good, Ford did achieve a "smaller car" feel with the A Pillar and cabin fitting around you (what price now in the days of 1800kg full size cars), they look great in 2011, AUI 6 cyl could do 6L/100km on the highway, the view out the front windscreen is like an Art-Deco experience (oval theme), it's the last wagon Ford Australia put out in Fairmont trim, you could also get a 6 seat wagon (very practical), a V8 wagon, and a Tickford enhanced wagon, Tickford could enhance any product for you out of the factory, the LTD had leather on the transmission shifter surround, there was less evidence of cost cutting,very distinct model differentiation, the XR6 had more pep than the base model, the utes sold and sold and sold in their day, the T3's have an awesome reputation to boot, etc, etc...

Underrated cars:
3.5 Magna, very smooth, beautiful build quality.
AU - sedans with IRS, Fairmont wagons, AUIII XR8, T1/2 with alloy heads, T3 5.6
Valiant VG coupe wreck I bought at 19, it thrashed Holden V8's and was, well, a wreck
My old XW Fairmont V8 302 wagon, pure bliss, I miss it
Dad and Mum's Aussie assembled 1979 Renault 12 Virage - Dakar rally influence, awesome on sand, economical, metallic brown now coming back in!

JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post