Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 14-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Default A bit of a warning but....

Yesterday me and my best mate, decide to switch tires around my car, due to the plentyful of thread from the back, so swapping that to the front.

Unfortunately, the tool that screws the screws out of the nuts off the wheel - broke yesterday, because one nut on the left back tire is apparently stuck, we took our might to unloose it, no luck and then broke, the tool, is fully cracked, useless now. We tried unloose it with my best friend's tool from his CRV, no luck.

Will be calling Ford sometime today and to find out if the tool equipment can be replaced, under warranty - and will get them to fix my tires. Dammit.

This is just to warn you - if it happens to be you, having hardtime with a stuck nut in the wheel. Be careful.

Btw, the european jack is terrible.

Old 14-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Oriory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke
Yesterday me and my best mate, decide to switch tires around my car, due to the plentyful of thread from the back, so swapping that to the front.

Unfortunately, the tool that screws the screws out of the nuts off the wheel - broke yesterday, because one nut on the left back tire is apparently stuck, we took our might to unloose it, no luck and then broke, the tool, is fully cracked, useless now. We tried unloose it with my best friend's tool from his CRV, no luck.

Will be calling Ford sometime today and to find out if the tool equipment can be replaced, under warranty - and will get them to fix my tires. Dammit.

This is just to warn you - if it happens to be you, having hardtime with a stuck nut in the wheel. Be careful.

Btw, the european jack is terrible.
Thanks for the tip, I just bought a Fiesta & will keep that in mind if I need to change the tyres
Oriory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Are you saying the wheel nut was stuck and you damaged the brace trying to loosen it?

I have put a 20 degree bend in a wheel brace trying to get a nut off. I couldn't do it by hand and needed to slip a 3 foot bar on the brace for leverage.

Any time I get a wheel removed at a service I firmly request that they tighten them by hand, or lower the torque setting and I finish the job myself.

Been caught out once with nuts that have been over tourqued....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't mind the jack. It's much better than my parents Prado, and light years ahead of the horrible WP jack that never wanted to work.
Old 15-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Fled74
The Thread Killa

The jack in my WP worked OK the two times I needed to use it. Still, I went and bought a little bottle jack that's much easier to use.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Are you saying the wheel nut was stuck and you damaged the brace trying to loosen it?

I have put a 20 degree bend in a wheel brace trying to get a nut off. I couldn't do it by hand and needed to slip a 3 foot bar on the brace for leverage.

Any time I get a wheel removed at a service I firmly request that they tighten them by hand, or lower the torque setting and I finish the job myself.

Been caught out once with nuts that have been over tourqued....
The nut in the wheel, apparently, were too tight.
It felt like it was bolted tightly by a machine.
Stupid. Me and my best mate, couldn't unloose it at all.
I am awaiting an email from Ford.
Old 15-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You mean the wheelnuts? Which goes over the wheel stud?

Chances are if you got it serviced by a dealership, they would have used their impact guns on the wheels and kept going when they where tight. A lot of us used to do it at the dealership all the time, but you're supposed to just nip it up and then use a torque wrench to 110nm to tighten it up.

I'm not sure what size the wheelnuts are on the Fiesta, I can't remember but all you need is a big breaker bar and that sized socket.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I assume you mean lug nuts and not the wheel hub nut.
Yeah, most mechanics just use the impact guns and they ALWAYS over-tighten them.
Like Yellow Festiva I had to extend the wheel brace with a steel pipe for more leverage, and had to jump up and down on the end of it to loosen the damn thing (and I'm not a skinny guy).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always carry a cross brace in the car. There heaps better than the standard brace.
You can put more force on it & its easier to get the nuts off aswell.

For only $13 at supercheap, its worth the investment.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...d=2309#details
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Wheelnut yeah
these people overtighten these. It was impossible.
The standard tool was cracked and have not yet to get that email.. still waiting.
however if it is not covered under warranty, I'll just simply buy one from super cheap, yeah.