Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default LPG and turbo (mixer)

Quick question (may be dumb)
If you ran a low boost setup (less than 10psi) with a mixer ring setup, what happens? Do you have to run a different mixer to handle the pressure? Does it need to be intercooled? I know little about either, but if you put the air sensor thing that goes in the snorkel into the intake pipe from the turbo, will LPG adjust itself? Will the standard lpg "pump" handle the extra power?

If anyone could shed light on this would be appreciated. Just curious at this point.

Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't answer your question but can point you to the right person, TURBOTAXI has a boosted BBQ..send him a PM maybe?

p.s DO IT!
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

http://www.gasresearch.com.au/

talk to these guys.. they know gas.
Old 14-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
gaz084
F1D procharged ute

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: With the amount of detail Gareth has put into his BF heat exchanger by-pass modification ... and also his work on his supercharged BA EGAS build thread has been a help to many on this forum when it comes to DIY inginuity. 

It depends on what mixer you have,if you have a vialle converter(complex) than it wont work,i know gra,impco converters will work with boost.....im not 100% sure if gra and impco are simple or complex style converters but the balance line will apply to both complex and simple types.

I would say you would need the intercooler with the turbo.....Your balance line will need to be redirected to your intake pipe after the air filter before the throttle body,run with a fitting that will catch the incoming air,you have to make sure it is facing in the direction of the incoming air,the balance line needs to be no smaller than a 5/16 hose.....this in turn will compensate for the pressure difference between your intake and converter.

Maybe try posting your question in the lpg section you will get a better answer from the blokes that install these systems for a living.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11283622
gaz084 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that Deano. I read a few of his threads, seems more involved (and expensive) with LPG than I first thought.
Old 14-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

You would have to run a draw through turbo system and your mixer would have to be able to supply enough gas for the maximum HP you would be expecting to have. Probably in the vicinity of 50% more than the current mixer on the engine. You don't have to have an intercooler regardless of what style of fuel you use. In fact using LPG (especially if you go straight gas and no petrol at all) allows you to run higher boost before intercooling becomes necessary.

But isn't your car an AU XR? In which case the question about running a mixer ring is not pertinent as mixers are basically only used on carby motors. For an EFI system you use either a complex convertor, or more usually these days, sequential LPG injection. Turbos are not a problem with either. Pop into the LPG room and do some reading. There are some LPG users and installers in there who will be able to offer profesional advice.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. almost any converter that has a balance line can be set up to run with a turbo by running the balance line to a point after the turbo but before the throttle butterfly. The only other thing is that the gas system has to provide enough fuel for the intended output of the engine. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
StockieXR6T

The best way is with Gasresearch, I owned Gasresearch Perfomance Center in Dandenong for about 5 years after running the workshop for Gasresearch Australia before they sold up.
The best results are acheived blow through as you need to intercool LPG, the octane is offset by high air temperatures.
I have sucessfully run up to 30psi boost through a Gasresearch Carby. As far as I'm aware Jason Ghiller had the fastest straight LPG car around. I was involved in the tuning process in the early days as Jason was a regular at Gasresearch. The car ran in the 9s with an modified AU engine and had 375 rwkW from memory, this was some time ago.
To make decent power you need twin converters and twin lines, it is also necessary to get the flow valve in the tank modified or have a second one added. Many people incorrectly blame the gas for insufficient supply.
StockieXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I go through with it I'll remove the LPG all together and sit it to the side.
T3Man: I always called them mixers because they sit in the way and well, mix it. Didnt know there was anything other than the ring (which is what I refer to it as) and the system that uses the injectors. Learn something every day I guess.

Seems a lot easier without it all in the way, plus Im not sure how a turbo would fare with a backfire but Im guessing not good. Ive been waiting patiently to pick the car up (boat was full up for weeks) I will see what way I want to go when I see it and find out what its like. Reason I ask is I can get an internally wastegated kit (2nd hand) unintercooled for close to $1000.

If I decide to go through with it (ie- if the car isnt rooted) I will start another thread to ask on how to remove the system.
Thanks for all the info

Last edited by Jack91; 16-11-2010 at 09:40 AM.