Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shipping container cost

Does anyone have an idea of how much it costs to bring a shipping container of goods from the US to Aus roughly? Just after a rough figure as I have no idea. Also time taken average to arrive.

Cheers

Craig

Last edited by stockel; 28-08-2010 at 11:31 AM.
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

This is very hard to answer without much more details.

What is in it and what value? Who is packing it? Whole or half container? 20 or 40 foot long? What port to what port? Who is receiving it on this end? Who is unpacking it or how will the goods be removed?

Ebay has a few people advertise shipping services. I would be contacting a 'freight forwarder' in your capital city and they will be able to help you.

You may also need the services of a 'customs broker'.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
adelaidecrows02

If you contact a freight forwarder like Hardrodt, they cover all the customs broker stuff, so you wont need to involve anyone else. As per Yellow Festiva, you will need all of that information.
Old 28-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We sent a box of goods from the US back home to OZ back in 2003. Took a good couple of months for it to get here as it was sent via sea. But, we probably had to wait for the container the box was shipped in to fill up with other goods before it was sent so that probably added a little bit of time.
Old 28-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

East or West Coast is truly a big issue too. Ex New York your looking at US$3,000 for a 20' FCL, without the costs mentioned earlier.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The average shipping cost for a container given by people who have imported cars is around $3500 to $4000 from the USA.

Doesnt include import duties or AQUIS charges

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks so much to all you guys, you have given me all I need, once again AFF proves invaluable for even the most obscure things

Thanks

Craig
Old 30-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

When I moved back from California to Melbourne, I had a 40 foot container, now my quote included packing and unpacking at both ends and all relevant paperwork and inspections the total cost for me was just under 12k USD.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
When I moved back from California to Melbourne, I had a 40 foot container, now my quote included packing and unpacking at both ends and all relevant paperwork and inspections the total cost for me was just under 12k USD.
Thanks Craig more useful information :-)

Cheers

Craig
Old 31-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Be prepared to have some things pilfered. A co-worker who moved here from the UK had a container full of stuff sent over, and a lot of his collectible Star Wars figurines mysteriously disappeared in transit.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
Be prepared to have some things pilfered. A co-worker who moved here from the UK had a container full of stuff sent over, and a lot of his collectible Star Wars figurines mysteriously disappeared in transit.
Really?!?! Wow some people are sad individuals.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
scoupedy

i Heard it was about $1000 from san fran to brissy and then about $6000 from the ship to the wharf gotta love wharfies eh
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post