Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #61
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I just jumped out of a Nissan Patrol ute 4.2 litre 2007 model and its the most gutless car ive ever driven in my life.. it wouldnt pull anything up a hill in 5th gear.. Bucket of ****!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #62
FPV70

I do have a Turbo Diesel Patrol and yeah, it's slow.
My TD Patrol is the RD28T 2.8 Turbo in the GQ Patrol and while I have towed 2.5t on a few occations, it's certainly not fast in any way, shape or form.
One thing I can say about it though is, when off road climbing hills or going through water, nothing will stop it.
It only has 83hp at the rear wheels but has 550lb of turque and when that gets put into low range, you can multiply those figures by 2.
So needing BHP in low range is not the needed item, but the torque is what really counts.
As for a 4.2 TD Patrol beating a TT with a ton of sand up a hill, I doubt it. The TT would smash the Patrol but I wouldn't want to be doing it all the time in the Terri.
Longevity, the 4.2 would be the better bet for towing but if you need to make haste, the TT will get it there quicker.
What people also need to remember is that the Diesel motor was meant for tractors when it was made and with a compresion ratio of anywhere between 18:1 and 23:1 compaired to a petrol motor's 9:1, the torque of the Diesel is huge.
I will still keep my TD Patrol because it keeps me honest and I can take the family anywhere.
Old 18-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #63
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a hard time believing you have 85 HP and 550 lb-ft. In metric that is 63kw/745Nm. Sorry, but that is not right. Unless you're talking about after the gearbox, which will change depending on what gear you're in. But at the flywheel, no way.

OK I just looked it up.

91kW (121HP) at 4000rpm, torque: 272Nm (200lb-ft) at 2000rpm
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #64
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Money is on the diesel for sure, A good turbo Diesel like the V10 in the VW Touareg or V8 in the Q7 would show up any ****** patrol. The 3.0TD in the Audi Q5 would show one up also.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #65
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I have heard there are more than a few Patrol's out there with Turbo Falcon engines transplanted into them...
Old 18-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #66
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
Money is on the diesel for sure, A good turbo Diesel like the V10 in the VW Touareg or V8 in the Q7 would show up any ****** patrol. The 3.0TD in the Audi Q5 would show one up also.

Stoney!
Yeah, but the original question was what would tow a tonne with quicker acceleration? A diesel or a Turbo Territory?
Old 18-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #67
FPV70

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I have a hard time believing you have 85 HP and 550 lb-ft. In metric that is 63kw/745Nm. Sorry, but that is not right. Unless you're talking about after the gearbox, which will change depending on what gear you're in. But at the flywheel, no way.

OK I just looked it up.

91kW (121HP) at 4000rpm, torque: 272Nm (200lb-ft) at 2000rpm

Ok, when I find the Dyno sheet, I will scan it and someone can tell me if I am reading it wrong.

I am unsure how to read it but if i remember correct, thats what was said to me...
Old 18-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #68
FPV70

Ok here is the sheet, maybe someone can tell me what my car has?

Thanks.

Last edited by FPV70; 18-06-2010 at 05:56 PM.
FPV70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #69
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Yeah, but the original question was what would tow a tonne with quicker acceleration? A diesel or a Turbo Territory?
Which was exactly what I was talking about.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #70
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV70
Ok here is the sheet, maybe someone can tell me what my car has?

Thanks.
std approx:65 hp@3900 rpm ~ 360flbs@3000 rpm

modded approx:82hp@3990 rpm ~ 500flbs@2640 rpm

looks very healthy to me
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #71
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I have heard there are more than a few Patrol's out there with Turbo Falcon engines transplanted into them...
Its common with the older Patrols/Maverick's...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #72
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having spoken with several people regarding this topic, it's clear that opinion is very split (as it is in this thread)... I didn't think a 4.2L TD would stand a chance, but perhaps i'm wrong?

There are obviously a lot of variables to consider, including gear ratios and time....

I've heard a lot of about how torque works, and why the TD would tow a tonne of sand up a hill quicker. One mate said that the TD would win, but his argument was based on the fact that the hill was 30km long... This opens up a whole new scenario, i initially thought of a hill as about 5-10km, with a few twisties thrown in... If the hill was 30km long and straight, wouldn't the TT reach top speed quicker and therefore remain in front? Also, wouldn't it have a better top speed?

Again, i really don't care one way or the other, i don't plan on towing anything. But it's interesting that there are so many different views on this topic.

My thoughts are; If power and torque is greater in car A, then surely it will beat car B... But apparently it's not as simple as that, unfortunately i haven't yet met anyone that can explain the science of why the torque of a TD will make it quicker towing a tonne of sand. Especially if both cars have torque right through the rev range. The biggest factor i see is the gear ratios, which might multiply the torque of the TD, is this correct?
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #73
patrol_brad
user titles suck

Thought id post here.
Being that i own a Patrol with a 4.2 diesel with an aftermarket turbo fitted.
Now my patrol has makes 13psi of boost and make 10psi by 2000rpm.
It also has the injector pump turned up to the point of producing borderline max exhaust gas temp, (= max safe HP that it can make)
it does make more power and torque that ANY stock factory turbo diesel patrol.

I tow with it. and have had the gross combined mass at the limits.

My farther used to tow a tandem trailer with a BF falcon ute. it often went 4.5 tonnes on the weigh bridge at the dump.

Having been in both cars fully loaded the falcon was faster.

A few things to note. Both our old AU and the BF needed HUGE (and i mean HHUUGGEE) trans coolers fitted. Even towing on flat ground in summer both the falcons had trans troubles without the cooler fitted. They both also struggled to stop when fully loaded.

My patrol has done a hard 334 000km and is 21 years old.
It gets hot climbing STEEP hills (it does not over heat)
it slow compared to a falcon or a terri
But you can pull it with confidence when tow a heavy load.
and it'll still be towing LONG after falcon or terri have given up with a stuffed auto trans.

to answer the question what will tow a 1tone up a hill faster.
the terri will win hands down, THE FIRST TIME.

which one will do it day in day out and be the last one standing, the patrol will.
patrol_brad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #74
XRSIZM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
The turbo petrol will get up the hill quicker, but will probably have overheated by the top. The diesel will just get up there slow and steady...

finally some one said it! lol
Agreed the tezza might do it quicker, but how many times before blowin' chunks.
At the end of the day, if yout towing repeatidly, your money is on the diesel for longevity. A one off race, yeah the terry will prob win.
XRSIZM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post