Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #31
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I'm glad I am in an industry with no union.

I'm not so sure you will be! It was unions who fought for and won a superannuation scheme in lieu of a pay rise. It was unions who won a 38 hour week. It was unions who stand up for safety in workplaces and continue to do so. Many of the things we hold dear as Australians in our working life no matter who we work for can be linked back to somebody somewhere saying 'Enough is enough' and getting together with fellow workers to change it.

If we still had work choices bosses would be knocking hundreds off of all our pay packets to 'stay competitive'. This would only result in a race to the bottom leading to decent bosses winning no work and scum making all the profit.
Old 15-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #32
Director

Quote:
I'm glad I am in an industry with no union.

"The latest figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show that union members earn on average 14.9% more than non-members do."

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Old 15-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #33
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director
"The latest figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show that union members earn on average 14.9% more than non-members do."
i personally earn 20% more in a non union work place than the union workplace i was in previously

they know they can sack me when they feel the need, so they can pay me what i deserve in relevence to everyone else
in the other place, they were used to people working hard while trying to impress and once they received their reward, slacked off. therefore no rewards for anyone unless everyone got it - no matter how much or little work they did
Old 15-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #34
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i personally earn 20% more in a non union work place than the union workplace i was in previously

they know they can sack me when they feel the need, so they can pay me what i deserve in relevence to everyone else
in the other place, they were used to people working hard while trying to impress and once they received their reward, slacked off. therefore no rewards for anyone unless everyone got it - no matter how much or little work they did

If the union wasn't ever present, how much more would 20% of nothing be?
Old 15-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #35
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director
I think you need to re read what I wrote. I am in an industry that has NO union. Pay is dictated by my experience, qualifications and the result of yearly reviews. People are paid what they deserve to be and are rewarded for consistently good work and innovation over time, not just turning up. Work hours are dependant on work load and anything over the contracted hours is either payed or given as leave in lieu. Management are flexible in terms of work life balance because they're not pressured by a union to meet certain demands. A union simply wouldn't work. Some people need to realise that organisations are nothing without the workers.

There are good and bad employers in any industry, in the end if you are a valued employee then the boss will look after you, if not, then you have the choice to move on to greener pastures.

Unions had their place years ago but I think their time is up.
Old 15-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #36
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you need to re read what I wrote. I am in an industry that has NO union.

I think you will find you are mistaken. Sometimes unions just aren't called unions. Doctors have the AMA, town planners have the PIA, accountants have the CPA, lawyers have 'the bar'. Then there are unions for the bosses, The master builders association, The master plumbers, mater painters etc, etc. It has been proven for centuries that one voice gets drowned out. As a collective it is easier to get heard.

I think people are not understanding what a union is. A union is a group of people with a shared interest.
Old 15-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #37
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

When one doctor says there is a problem nobody takes notice. When the AMA says there is a problem there is mass media. Understand the purpose of a union now?
Old 15-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #38
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
When one doctor says there is a problem nobody takes notice. When the AMA says there is a problem there is mass media. Understand the purpose of a union now?
I think we have a difference of opinion of the definition of a workplace union.
You can say all you like, my opinion of them remains.
Old 15-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #39
b2tf
not here much anymore

Bloody Unions - yeah they do a lot of good things for workers but it seems the boofhead mentality of "youre either with us or against us" is still alive and well. NOBODY deserves that sort of treatment regardless of the situation - ironically if it were a union member that copped the damage to their locker etc I reckon the union would be the first one to have a whinge - but when it's the other way round it's all some big joke.

Australia's biggest problem is the idiot mentality that sees groups of those with a similar opinion form - and bugger the rest. There is no tolerance, no 'fair go' which is what these groups claim to hide behind and be striving for - when it reality they are the ones that make it so damned hard to get.
Old 16-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #40
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think we have a difference of opinion of the definition of a workplace union.
You can say all you like, my opinion of them remains.

How is the AMA different to say the CFMEU? Both are organisations made of people whom once worked in their respective industry. People from each field pay a fee each year to be a part of these organisations. The members can then seek information and support i.e. councilling and help with resolving disputes.
One is only stigmatised because it is made up of blue collar workers who put their lives and health on the line everyday they step onto site.

I was once on a site where a sign fell off a crane and cut a mans legs off. Obviously the site was shut while investigations happened. When the site reoppened the offending sign had been returned to the crane. The workers requested the sign be removed and replaced with a canvas sign. This was refused. The workers took a 48 hour 'break' from site to achieve what seemed logical in the first place. The next day the Courier Mail ran a story on how this major project was being held up be recalcitrant unionists hell bent on delaying the project.
Old 16-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #41
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Guys - I think we are getting quite a bit off track here.
The thread is not a pro / anti union movement discussion. It is about a worker at Ford Geelong receiving a bombthreat at work. Regardless of who was at fault here, the whole thing is completely insane, & dare I say it UNAUSTRALIAN.
This thread is one pro / anti union post away from closure.
Old 16-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #42
dogfish

Now I am Firstly not a Unionist but was in one during my apprenticeship as I had to so we could contract down to vessels tied to the main wharf for repairs. Being an apprentice I was not allowed to take part in Union activity.
But in The Unions Defence why do you think Health and Safety laws came into place. Majority of Employers aren't going to worry about lifting gear, ergonomic office chairs, Guards on Brake presses, and correct lifting techniques so on and so on.
Unions enabled us to have better work standards this is fact.So you can't really hate the unions unless you wish to have work standards like they do in China for example.

Now I'm not worried by confrontation and will stand on my own 2 and tell my boss how it is and if he doesn't like it the worst he can do is sack me the worlds not going to stop revolving just cause I lost my job things happen life goes on.
Some people like to have the backing force of a collective or group and feel strong in numbers and that's o.k some people don't like confrontation hence the union speaks for them.
Now the bloke at Ford would have had to have realised it was a Union Shop when he started there and it's not compulsory to join and should be free to go about as he pleases.
But if he is a Union member and doesn't strike then he's a scab (Union Term) and he basically wants the strength of the union when his job is threatened or a work issue/condition arises and not to stand by them when they have an issue over work conditions/safety I am not saying I support the Unions tactics but fairs fair.

The wharfies and building industry are still strong unions not as much as they were.
Who do you think Kevin Rudd got funding from for his last election campaign.
Come on Labor are pro Union (THE WORKERS PARTY)

THE TOY:2003 CV8R Monaro 6Spd Manual.
Closed Thread