Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #31
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

/\/\/\ how is that relevant to cost of tech?
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #32
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anan Bligh the female version of Johnny Howard . Has she done anything that hasnt made life more expensive I cant think of one good thing she has done?
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #33
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Certainly the price is a bit steep, but for many years there has been calls to get rid of the current laminated licences because of how incredibly simple it is to forge!

No other state in Australia uses laminated cards and i recall a comment made that a QLD drivers licence was presented as ID while in England and they laughed and said thats some sort of cheap fake!

This happened to me in Germany, they just plain laughed at it, had to leave my passport instead.

Qld has been "updating" the license for nearly a decade now....
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #34
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
/\/\/\ how is that relevant to cost of tech?
Because your not just paying for the technology, you need to pay for the tech, the people to sit there and take the ohotos, make the cards up and the admin people that keep the sytems running etc etc.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #35
911 XR6
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
because you can't photocopy an RFID chip.

But hang on - there is no RFID chip in cash (that I am aware) - you would be hard pressed to photocopy it and pass it off as real money?

Besides... RFID technology is simple to copy or clone...

Demo: http://vodpod.com/watch/1026814-copy-an-rfid-chip

15 Jeep GCTD

911 XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #36
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_by_ford
Because your not just paying for the technology, you need to pay for the tech, the people to sit there and take the ohotos, make the cards up and the admin people that keep the sytems running etc etc.
Those people already exist within the system do they not? They do currently issue photographic, database listed identification cards.
I do not see your point.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #37
GoldCoastGTP
Luxo rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
This happened to me in Germany, they just plain laughed at it, had to leave my passport instead.

Qld has been "updating" the license for nearly a decade now....
Sorry Jastel but leaving a document like a passport is asking for trouble - never leave a passport out of your sight esp overseas
We can pick a tampered licence once it is pulled apart it actually changes colour to a cloudy appearance and the QLD Govt embossing pulls apart when stretched you can see it under a normal torch light - get a QLD licence and look at it under a strong light on an angle you can see the QLD gov't signs (the egg and sperm symbol)
QLD transport are stingy - the only place i know of that when you renew your licence they give you a sticker to put on the back with a new exp date
Old 13-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #38
DA68ZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCoastGTP
Sorry Jastel but leaving a document like a passport is asking for trouble - never leave a passport out of your sight esp overseas
We can pick a tampered licence once it is pulled apart it actually changes colour to a cloudy appearance and the QLD Govt embossing pulls apart when stretched you can see it under a normal torch light - get a QLD licence and look at it under a strong light on an angle you can see the QLD gov't signs (the egg and sperm symbol)
QLD transport are stingy - the only place i know of that when you renew your licence they give you a sticker to put on the back with a new exp date

I changed mine from nsw to qld last august and i was like WTF when the chick handed it to me ...
Plus you can even just post back the renewal saying you haven't changed much since the last renewal and they just post the sticker to go on the back , so you can go 10 years without stepping into a registry ...
DA68ZA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #39
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
Those people already exist within the system do they not? They do currently issue photographic, database listed identification cards.
I do not see your point.

It is not due to people in the system but more likely a case of user pays. Banks do this free of charge but it also saves them lost money from card skimming that is becoming more prevelant. The RSL will sell you one cheap but they need to be competitive with other clubs to get you in to play their pokies and drink their beer. At the end of the day to total cost over 5 years will increase by 4.1 cents per day. Not really going to break the bank is it?
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #40
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCoastGTP

I agree!!
But didn't have a choice if I wanted to go in, it was a museum IIRC and you had leave backpacks and ID at the cloakroom

But they wouldn't accept the rubbish license was my point.

I actually like the fact you can renew the license over the net and they send you a sticker, saves me waiting 1.5 hours at the QT office. That is the normal wait in my town. Not secure I know but certainly easier.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #41
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

That is steep, I paid $150 for the new style Vic licence in December last year (10 year).
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post