Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default just had a scrape.....

got cut off by a truck in a carpark, had to push left, just kissed a parked car, got myself a couple of scratches on the door that will buff out.....but the edges of the door spears on front and rear doors (LHS), most of the paint has come off!!

Any idea on how much to respray the door spears?? Are they removable from the door (otherwise I think I'll need the whole doors resprayed!)??

Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Did you get the rego of the truck? Have you reported it to the police? Have you rung your insurance? I'm guessing the answer is no, no and no, otherwise you wouldn't be asking "how much".

Door spears are removable, but require sikaflex to stick them back on - better to get them painted in position if it's only them that need touching up. Should be around $100 per spear, I'd guess.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry to hear that mate, glad there wasnt any more damage done
i dont think itd be worth ringing insurance, youd end up paying it in excess
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Police won't exactly be of much help......no didn't get rego of truck (he kinda got outta there in a hurry)......other car got away unscathed, tiny paint mark that rubbed off......don't want to go thru insurance if the quote is going to be less than any excess fee...... so therefore anything less than $500 would be fine!
Old 13-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Police won't exactly be of much help......no didn't get rego of truck (he kinda got outta there in a hurry)......other car got away unscathed, tiny paint mark that rubbed off......don't want to go thru insurance if the quote is going to be less than any excess fee...... so therefore anything less than $500 would be fine!
That's bad luck. I'd say painting the spears etc should easily be less than $500, but only way to know is to take it to a smash repairers or three and get some quotes; they usually quote reasonably for cash jobs (in my experience).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

pics!

also the scratches on the doors (need to look carefully), but you can feel them with your fingernail...

Old 13-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Maybe try those mobile paint repairers. I paid about $250 for a similar scrape on my bumper a few years ago. It was this price because of my two-tone paint job so it would have been cheaper if it was one colour like yours.

If you take it to a shop then they may tell you they have to blend it in with other doors and panels, ending up costing hundreds more.

But depends on what you want in the end.

Edit: Oh, those lower photos suggest it could possibly be buffed out off the door panel.

I also just realised that the plastic trim parts will be easier to do because they are a different angle to the doors, so exact paint blending isn't 100% needed.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

The main scratch (3rd photo) - my fingernail catches in it when i run my hand over.....so it's probably so deep it may not be able to be buffed out :-(
Old 13-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

well off I go to panel shop near where I work......will let you know what the result is!
Old 13-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Default Quote Results

The bloke at the panel shop said I should go to one of these mobile paint chip repair people....to go through them would cost arm and a leg, def more than the excess - mainly because they would have had to order new door moulds & stripes......

And he noticed a hairline dent with one of the scratches, but he said its almost not worth worrying about......most of the scratches etc should completely polish out - if there was anything left, you would barely notice!!!
Old 13-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
fipcee
not so stock

^^^^^
All in all a reasonably favourable outcome I'd suggest, and good on the repairer for telling you to try the mobile paint repairers. Good luck
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Next mods: extractors

Last edited by fipcee; 13-08-2009 at 06:58 PM.
fipcee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Fingers crossed.......mobile paint bloke coming to assess car tomorrow morning...

www.autopaintfix.com.au
Old 14-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Good luck with it mate, should go okay.

I've heard some horror stories about mobile repairers but it's probably the same risk with any auto repairer. The guy who came to do mine was a really nice Russian guy who left his job as an accountant to do mobile car paint repair, left it looking great, couldn't tell it was scraped afterwards.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

quote - $275.....scratches on the door won't come out with cut & polish - you can clearly catch in your fingernail.......marks on edge of door will just need to be touched up.........but they will have to repaint the doors and door moulds!

Booked in for Tuesday week!!! About what I expected to be honest....
Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

UPDATE:

Well last Tuesday had to be postponed due to high winds.....fast forward to this morning.....had to re-arrange the whole garage to be able to fit half the car inside to get out of the wind.....

The blokes have almost finished, paint looks great!!! Although they almost missed the scratch above the door moulds....

EDIT - buffed out the scratch, still a tiny tiny mark there (didn't see it until they'd left, can only see from a tight angle), when I get my Megs G220 it should come out easy!

Pics to come!!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

thats a relief Dave. I havent read the whole thread, but did the truck driver pay for damages?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #17
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
thats a relief Dave. I havent read the whole thread, but did the truck driver pay for damages?
nah he didn't even stop.....couldn't get a number plate.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #18
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
nah he didn't even stop.....couldn't get a number plate.
bloody mongrel. I hate it when p.ricks do that. well I hope this paint mob does a good job and your happy with the end result mate.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #19
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Default End Result!

So here is the end result:

This part they just touched-up, I have some touch-up paint now as well so a couple more coats should help as well:

Overall - virtually as good as new! Would use these guys again if I had to....much easier than going to a body shop!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

thats not bad at all Dave.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8