Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
sunnyhill
Starter Motor

Default AU vacuum tank

Can anyone tell me EXACTLY where the vacuum reservoir which services the internal vents is located? As soon as pick up speed on the road the a/c vents close down, back off on the throttle and it returns. A vacuum problem but where is the booster tank?

sunnyhill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
TE029
Blue Blooded

This is normally a symptom of a blown intake manifold gasket,
Upon accelerating the vents switch to screen/demist when off throttle (max Vacuum) the vents return to normal setting,
Try with the car running spraying some WD40 or similar where the manifold mates up to the cylinder head, If the idle smooths or increases then the gasket is kaput...
TE029 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check all vacuum hoses too, don`t forget the heater tap under the inlet manifold.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Under WOT, it is normal for the A/C to turn off - you didn't mention that picking up speed was under WOT, but thought I'd throw that in anyway.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Hey JC,
Is that for the I6 and V8 or just common to I6's. My V8 Fairlane did that going up Bulli Pass south of Sydney a few months ago but hasnt ever done it since?
Thanks Pete.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
TE029
Blue Blooded

Correct me if i am wrong, But i thought one of the standard features of (late model) falcon Ac on any motor was on full throttle the ac compressor clutch releases... Hence no drag...
You dont encounter it very often cause if the AC is not cycling at the time you dont even notice,

Last edited by TE029; 04-09-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: better clarify
TE029 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
sooty43

The vac. tank is a piece of steel tube under the dash. Check for leaks with a vac. gauge placed in the line where it comes out of the bulkhead. If everything tests OK and it runs out of vac.and cuts off the AC. you can make an extra vac. tank out of a bit of exhaust pipe with welded ends. You strap it to the chassis with large hose clips and run its vac.line into the main vac.line doubling the volume of the system. This method cured my AU wagon of running out of AC. in summer inQLD towing a boat over the mountains where one is putting the foot down most of the way.
sooty43 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
sunnyhill
Starter Motor

Thanks sooty43, does the vac. line come through the bulkhead behind the screen washer tank? There is about a 5mm line there and I think it is even branded "vacuum supply".
sunnyhill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post