Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Damozxr6
FORD4LIFE

Default weird clicking

hey all my auII xr8 ute has developed a weird clicking noise once the car is kicked over. its not the starter motor. not sure what it is any ideas?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

got enough oil?
tappets? (hla's or whatever)?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

it isnt a ticking is it? on the passenger side, behind the guard and light?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Damozxr6
FORD4LIFE

not the tappers. i know that sound.

hey mont5.0 do you know what that ticking on the passenger side is?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Charcoal Canister?
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
DW260

Where abouts is the sound coming from?
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Sounds like the charcoal canister to me. The Tickford Tick, they call it.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

yep as above
Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Not the charcoal cannister itself but the the canister purge solenoid valve, or as it is also called, the CANP valve or purge control VSV.

This is a silver solenoid controlled valve that opens and closes the line to the charcoal canister has two rubber hoses and two wires attached silver/chrome in colour about the size of a C sized torch battery.

Prior to the EF this valve was in the engine bay between the fender and the inlet manifold in front of the A arm tower. From the EF onwards its in the cavity in front of the left hand wheel well with the charcoal canister. It rapidly opens and closes and if it makes contact with the chassis or body it will make a ticking noise on acceleration etc that may sound like its coming from behind the dash on the passenger's side or elsewhere on that side depending on what it is touching. It is normally held in mid air by the reddish rubber hoses connected to it and this normally stops you hearing its rapid open and closing on acceleration etc. In this mid air position there is nothing to transmit the noise to the cabin.

A faulty one of these valves will also click loudly wherever it is. If it is suspended in mid air by it hoses as it is meant to be (or in any event) you can test it by temporarily unplugging it from the wiring harness and going for a very short test drive and see if the noise goes but do not leave it disconnected. Some people wrap them in foam tape to minimise the risk of hearing it but that does not always work.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
Damozxr6
FORD4LIFE

charcoal cannister hey. when i went to buy my ute it had that ticking noise. but was fixed before i drove away in it. was told it was a vacumm leak or something. i didnt care cause the noise was gone. that was my main concern.
might check this canp valve out.

my ticking is a click when i start the car. only once. when shes running no noise.

thanks for everyones help. first v8 ute enjoying learning about it.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Not the charcoal cannister itself but the the canister purge solenoid valve, or as it is also called, the CANP valve or purge control VSV.

This is a silver solenoid controlled valve that opens and closes the line to the charcoal canister has two rubber hoses and two wires attached silver/chrome in colour about the size of a C sized torch battery.

Prior to the EF this valve was in the engine bay between the fender and the inlet manifold in front of the A arm tower. From the EF onwards its in the cavity in front of the left hand wheel well with the charcoal canister. It rapidly opens and closes and if it makes contact with the chassis or body it will make a ticking noise on acceleration etc that may sound like its coming from behind the dash on the passenger's side or elsewhere on that side depending on what it is touching. It is normally held in mid air by the reddish rubber hoses connected to it and this normally stops you hearing its rapid open and closing on acceleration etc. In this mid air position there is nothing to transmit the noise to the cabin.

A faulty one of these valves will also click loudly wherever it is. If it is suspended in mid air by it hoses as it is meant to be (or in any event) you can test it by temporarily unplugging it from the wiring harness and going for a very short test drive and see if the noise goes but do not leave it disconnected. Some people wrap them in foam tape to minimise the risk of hearing it but that does not always work.
mine does it at idle. at accelaration i can not hear it cause of the exhaust, also can not be heard very easily from the cabin even with the windows open- it is also intermittent.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
xygt01
XY GT (ROD)

mine does it at idle. at accelaration i can not hear it cause of the exhaust, also can not be heard very easily from the cabin even with the windows open- it is also intermittent.[/QUOTE]

you are spot on my v8 mont was the same cost me about 28 bucks to replace and noise gone but that was a while ago not sure what there worth now