Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #31
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
AS I understood it, there could only be enough ethanol made to convert 4% of all the fuel used in Australia.

Governments have never legislated impossible things before have they?

Or do they wish us to import the ethanol as well from places that can grow a lot to provide it. Of course they will need land and water for this.
I suppose that is as good a reason as any to knock down the rest of the amazon, asian and african rain forests....

How about legislate that all government vehicles must run on LPG or CNG that is produced in Australia. It is our fuel and public vegetables mostly never travel far from home.

No that would not help with increasing taxes nor would it or placate greenie nutters from Sydney who may lobby and vote against the incumbents.
Well said mate, I think you may have hit the crux of the issue; the very reason we have gone down this path.
Better yet, lets end price parity for our own crude.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #32
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Australia a year or two ago bananas were hit with a little bug that decimated the crops. Price of bananas went from around 2.50 to $14 within a few weeks. Now lets see, what would happen if a little bug got in to the sugar crops, then there are floods, and drought and and and etc etc etc. We are constantly hearing of one reason or another as to why the price of petrol is up, so what makes anyone think ethanol will ever be any different. Ethanol = BS for mine.
Old 29-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #33
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yea but when oil is simply not available then what ??
Back to horse and cart ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #34
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Getting back to the original article, I find it a bit of a joke. Its not excatly referencing scientific material is it? To say that not one mechanic that he has spoken to would use ethanol in their own car is a rediculous statement. What sort of car do they have? Is it suited to ethanol? How many mechanics was that again? One? Two? Twenty? I am sure if I went down to my local mechanic here I am sure I could get a brand off him that he would never buy. Does that mean that that brand is terrible and I should never buy one? No. Like I said that article is a joke.

He also mentions the price of feedstuffs rising over the past few years. Well, um, I would certainly disagree they. Here in Australia anyway. The price of wheat here is boarding on unviable. Maize isnt much better. However, yes sugar has increased in the past year. It would be extremely benifical for me if the price of the crops was to skyrocket but dispite popular belief that is just not happening here. Does he also realise that the by products from the ethanol production can be used as feedstuffs for stock in feedlots? Its not like the grain is used in the ethanol production and then the byproducts are thrown away. How much grain is currently being used in feedlots?

Some of the examples of he uses for ethanol causes engine problems are a little misguided as well. He used one example of a person filling his E85 Flex Fuel Chevy Suburban with 100% ethanol. Well you could hardly blame the ethanol for that can you.

Now reading back over what I have said, you would probably say that I was pro ethanol, however I dont consider that I am. I just think that this article is sensationalist in the extreme. It is today tonight or ACA style reporting.
How about the reports on the benefits of the Coskata method of ethanol production. he might form a different opinion of ethanol. If it can be produced using municiple waste as well as other waste products, then surely that can be benefical.

In Australia however I feel that LPG is a much more suitable 'alternative' fuel. Especially considering what is currently being developed in the LPG industry.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 01:15 AM   #35
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

I've noticed that the majority of the petrol stations with the big Green flower logo only offer 91 with 10% ethanol. If you want ethanol free fuel you have to purchase 95 octane. I reckon it's wrong that there is no choice for normal 91.
Also, the other problem is that sometimes it's the only station available in an area or at a service centre on the main highway/motorway.

I hate being forced into doing things. : People use excuses like, 'it's just the way it is' or 'that's progress' and I wanna smack 'em!

Luckily these days, I only have to deal with LPG... But that's another story! :P