Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #31
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some kiddie wrote to the Herald Sun today, and said, (not exact)

"I'm 19, I drive a Commodore and I'm a hoon, but I only do doughnuts. Doughnuts are not a drag race." (or something to that effect)
They suggested that acting like a fool on roads was just fine as long as nobody gets hurt...

But it's NEVER a problem until somebody gets hurt.
Guns were never the massive problem they are perceived to be now before Martin Bryant went nuts...

Some people simply never learn.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #32
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great a theif has been let off , so a kid chucking a burnout could be caught
I say Poor kid , The punishment does not fit the crime . Its a joke . Last week i was working on a site were a painter has been done drink driving 7 times . An he still driving .
An most of you guys are hypocrites i reckon you would hard pressed to find one bloke on here that has not done a burnout of some kind. And your acting like a lynch mob . Yes he is a idiot , but so is the other half of the population.
He lives in the hot rod capital of australia - so my guess he just a product of the society he has been brought up in .
If they sell his car the money should go to a concrete slab in the middle of the paddock , with a sign saying here you go kiddies .

God forbid you cant hang a burnout in the middle of now where , It was not that long ago when the police used to tell you to go out of town to it .
Bloody sheep if its on Aca or today tonight the whole country jumps on the band wagon.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #33
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
I say Poor kid , The punishment does not fit the crime . Its a joke . Last week i was working on a site were a painter has been done drink driving 7 times . An he still driving .
An most of you guys are hypocrites i reckon you would hard pressed to find one bloke on here that has not done a burnout of some kind. And your acting like a lynch mob . Yes he is a idiot , but so is the other half of the population.
He lives in the hot rod capital of australia - so my guess he just a product of the society he has been brought up in .
If they sell his car the money should go to a concrete slab in the middle of the paddock , with a sign saying here you go kiddies .

God forbid you cant hang a burnout in the middle of now where , It was not that long ago when the police used to tell you to go out of town to it .
Bloody sheep if its on Aca or today tonight the whole country jumps on the band wagon.

No wonder im so out of touch with people these days, i don't watch that crap.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #34
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84

I know what you mean, my mate has been done for drink driving atleast 6 times, he's still driving and yeah he's a di$#head, my other mate got done for spinning the front wheels in his Holden Apollo on dirt in the bush... $600 fine, car taken, license gone.... Thats not fair...
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #35
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They take your car but pay your loan off? That dosn't make sense, If you own it you get screwed but if you have a loan for it you pretty much break even.

Always get loans for your vehicle you intend on doing illegal stuff then????
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #36
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
They take your car but pay your loan off? That dosn't make sense, If you own it you get screwed but if you have a loan for it you pretty much break even.

Always get loans for your vehicle you intend on doing illegal stuff then????
I Think that was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek
Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #37
mad cow
blue oval addict

the way i see it he deserves to not only loose the car but his licence as well. this idiot is ripping into burnouts in an itersection with no way of telling if anyone else is coming from any direction. i dont always agree with these laws or the police in general but this guy is obliously dangerous and dosent deserve to be on the road.

at the end of the day a drivers licence is not a right, it is a privelege. too many people see it as a right. you show you cant behave, you lose it. its not that hard to understand, and its not like you dont get enough chances.
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #38
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK let's break this down to two topics:
1. Was it a stupid thing to do, and should he be punished? (YES)
ok that's out of the way,
2. Was the punishment fair/just? (NO) - which is what a Justice system is supposed to be all about.

You could use the arguments "should have known better," "his own fault," "stupid idiot," and they are probably true. But there are such things as excessive punishments.
The punishment should reflect the consequence of the action. Eg, if somebody else was not harmed, the punishment should be less than if they were. If there was a minor in the car, or other motorists around then it should be higher penalty (perhaps reckless conduct endangering life). If someone is hospitalized, then the punishment should be more severe. If someone is killed, it would probably be voluntary manslaughter. Careless driving could be as minor as a light bump in a car park. A conviction of charges should reflect outcome, not what COULD have happened.

Nobody was harmed in this case?

People can argue punishment for prevention all they want. But you can only punish people for what they do, not what they "could have done." That's why there is an attempted murder charge, if a potential murder victim doesn't die.
So the facts are some idiot did burnouts on the road. End result: A car that I wouldn't want to buy, worn tyres, black lines on the road. Fair punishment, $500 fine, a dangerous driving conviction, 12 month suspended license, 100 hours community service (to make up for the labor hours to clean the road).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #39
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Now i wonder if this will happen every time now?

Cant be rules for some and not for others,lets see how consistent the system is?lol
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #40
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmm....not sure about this. Personally, I dislike idiots and dangerous drivers with a passion. Let's be honest, this guy is no quick learner is he? He's done the wrong thing, and he should cop a decent whack for it, but are we getting a bit trigger happy here with the relativity of the crime versus the punishment?

If we use round numbers, this guy has effectively been fined $25,000 or thereabouts. Now, there's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes, but as far as I'm aware, nobody was killed or injured during the 'stunt' that he performed, yet we have license suspension, fines, and personal assets being permanently seized.

To take a wider view, I can't pick up a paper for more than 2 consecutive days without reading of muggings, bashings, & robberies, but I wonder how many perpetrators cop an equivalent $25,000 fine? Seems you can go to a pub, get plastered, and purposely line up a guy and belt him to a pulp, and usually you'd be stiff to cop a $200 fine and a good behaviour bond. Do a burnout though, and you can lose a year's salary. I'm struggling with the relativity here.

I've never gone and done circle work at an intersection or down a residential street, so many will ask why I'd care at all what the fine is. The thing is though that this 'hoon' crackdown issue seems to be growing legs at an alarming rate. There's more than a sniff of the lynchmob mentality creeping in here. That's what I'm a bit concerned about.

Previously, there seemed to be a degree of discretion that the law enforcement agencies and courts would apply. How serious was the offence; where was it committed; was anybody hurt; etc. Now though, there seems to be a zero-tolerance approach which whilst sounding all tough and noble, tends to remove the objectivity from our legal system of crime and punishment. It can be a slippery slope. Care is required.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #41
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Herald called that blue thing a Hoden ute
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #42
HLC
Audi S3

looks nice and low! and nice skid too!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #43
mad cow
blue oval addict

hey brent i take it you have never been prosecuted for being in a pub fight... i can assure you if you are lucky enough to beat the 2 guys to a pulp that were going to belt you, you definetly dont get a $200 fine and a bond.

this is this guys second car seizure. that equates to 6 sets of fines and previous warnings. its not like he didnt know what was going to happen.
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #44
Kryton

pretty simple really - if you dont like the punishment and dont think its fair, then dont put yourself in the position that this clown has found himself in.

if your not ripping burnouts and being a head, what have you got to worry about.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post