Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What Option Should I Take???
Supsended Licence for 3 or 6months (depends on what the letter says) 18 26.09%
Good behaviour licence (ie: 1 or 2 points??? for 12 months) 51 73.91%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #31
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARGED TERRA
Yeah mate I'm sure. Missus went in to pay my $466 fine today and I was talking to her on the phone when she was at QLD Transport, Asked her to find out how many points are on my licence for me.

Answer = "ZERO, Letter will arrive in the mail with options"
12-15 points you lose your licence for 3 months
16+ between 4-9 months.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #32
stippa

I just had the letter in the mail lol and I took the 12 months. I like having the freedom of being able to go anywhere and i would hate to be restricted in any way
stippa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #33
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The freedom of going anywhere would far outweigh no freedom for 3 months in my opinion. Just don't drive like a knob for those 12 months at least and you should be fine
AUbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #34
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
My apprentice just finished the one year on one point, if a young P plate driver can do it i don't see why a mature person would have any trouble.
If I as a 27 year old have been driving high powered cars for years and never lost a point on L's, P's or Fulls in 4 states, then I agree. It's possible and easily so.

Having a clean record also helps VERY much when you do get pulled over for a minor indiscretion. The one time I got pulled over for 67ish in a 60 zone at night on an empty road, the cop wished me a good night and let me go. I was clearly not a habitual speedster so he gave me some breathing space and a gentle reminder.

Nobody is perfect, but bugger me it's not hard to try.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #35
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006

Is a suspended licence really suspended or is there a window of opportunity to exploit the system?

BTW, I voted be a good boy for 12 months, it aint hard.
I wouldn't rely on it, but I think it's still the case. I got my letter, last month (yesterday was my last day with a licence) and during the period after I got the letter, I got pulled over by the cops, who then asked me if I had received the letter, and formally logged my response in the computer. I asked why this was, and they said I could have pleaded ignorance after my suspension date, and said I never received the letter, and they have to take my word for it.

I voted take the suspension, 3 months, which is what I just did.

Cheers
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #36
Kawasakirider

Prolong it. When you recieve the letter you have a certain amount of time to fill it out and send it back, draw that time out and then when you can't draw it out any longer, say you want to fight the infringments in court. This will take AGES to happen as court proceedings are slow. This will give you time to regain some of your lost points. Once the court date comes around you have a some points back from your first lot that you lost, then elect to pay the fine. In the mean time you keep your licence because nothing has been lodged in the system. Just don't get anymore infringments in that time.
Kawasakirider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #37
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

Thanks guys but I'm not out to rort the system in anyway. I'm a big boy now and will just take it on the chin.

I just wanted some opinions on what choice I should take with regard to suspension or good behaviour. And to find out what option other people in the same situation as myself ended up taking.

Cheers

Adam

Last edited by CHARGED TERRA; 12-05-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: decided to correct my grammar, nothing gets my goat more than bad grammar. LOL
CHARGED TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #38
Torquen
Ginja Ninja

If it where me id take the 12 month good behavour deal.
Torquen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #39
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Has this 'option' just be implemtented ive never haerd of it. When i lost my licence afew years back 2003 (on my P's) so i only had 6 points to begin with i was fined for 114 in a 60 zone and lost all my points and didnt get that option. Maybe is was the speed i was clocked at or because i was on my P's. Anyway paid the massive fine 6mth suspension grew up and moved on.

Edit this was in NSW
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #40
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Arr
I wouldn't rely on it, but I think it's still the case. I got my letter, last month (yesterday was my last day with a licence) and during the period after I got the letter, I got pulled over by the cops, who then asked me if I had received the letter, and formally logged my response in the computer. I asked why this was, and they said I could have pleaded ignorance after my suspension date, and said I never received the letter, and they have to take my word for it.

I voted take the suspension, 3 months, which is what I just did.

Cheers

So if you say you never received the disqualification letter you can effectively still legally drive then
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #41
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Has this 'option' just be implemtented ive never haerd of it. When i lost my licence afew years back 2003 (on my P's) so i only had 6 points to begin with i was fined for 114 in a 60 zone and lost all my points and didnt get that option. Maybe is was the speed i was clocked at or because i was on my P's. Anyway paid the massive fine 6mth suspension grew up and moved on.

Edit this was in NSW

Now in Vic you lose your car and go to court for that.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #42
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Edit this was in NSW
A lot of things have changed since 2003, P platers only get 4 points now, i was caught doing 114 in a 100 zone and lost 3 points, then 1 point for not having my licence on me because I'm a P plater. Might go ahead with the 12 month good behavior bond, really makes you work hard at changing how you drive.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #43
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:

Edit this was in NSW
We've had that here in Vic for ages, I took that option many moons ago when I was young and foolish.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
We've had that here in Vic for ages, I took that option many moons ago when I was young and foolish.
Dont worry Russ it wont be happening again, i still do have the fine aswell :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #45
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Take the 3 month suspension. These days, it's far too easy to be caught. You may honestly make a mistake of going over 3/4 k's and you'll be done harshly if you're on that 12 month option. You could get caught in a roadworks zone and unintentionally be over by a few k's and that'll be it for you. Go the 3 month option and get it done with. Then you won't be on egg shells for 12 months if you know what I mean.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #46
pezza_XR6

lucky here in wa p platers still get 12 points. about 2 weeks after i got my p's earlier this year and the night before i picked up my xr i lost 5 demerit points and copped a $250 fine. i am extremely lucky the cop wasnt able to book me on all charges which would have included 120 in a 60 zone TWICE, hooning, illegal u turn and incorect use of a median strip intersection. i am extremely regretful for what i did, and i HAVE learnt a lesson. i thougth i had lost my license for about a week after, and was just waiting for the letter in the mail, until i found out i had 12 points. i was most scared of what my dad would do. also i was very lucky with the insurance as i had taken a cover note earlier that day for the new car, and through the next week i was ringing around for the best insurance, and found that because i had lost points, it had jumped up over $1000 from previous quotes. as my dad didnt know about my fine yet he payed my insurance from the company that issued the covernote. after a few days i told him about the points as i didnt want insurance invalid and he rang the insurance and let them know and they sent out new papers and to my surprise had not increased. ever since then i have been so much more responsible on the road doing everything i can to keep my license, i usuly sit 5 ks under the limit so theres no chance of accidentally getting done couple k's over like FRDGAL said. your license is a privilage. i now have been pulled over 5 times in 3 months since i got my car for no reason. car is externally stock except for a mesh grill. must be the red p's.

if you value your license that much you will be able to take the 12 month with 1 point and do it no problems.
Old 13-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #47
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
My apprentice just finished the one year on one point, if a young P plate driver can do it i don't see why a mature person would have any trouble.

EXACTLY

Just have to keep one eye on the speedo and one on the road, then you can look like Marty Fields!
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #48
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Im on a restricted licence, and it SUCKS!

I really needed mine for work, if that wasnt the case i would of taken the complete suspension.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #49
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Don't forget that if you take the suspension that you have to tell your current and future insurance companies about it or your insurance will be void.... I think keeping your license would make dealing easier personally.

Having said that, most people don't tell their insurance company about new speeding tickets... which will have the same end result anyway.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #50
z80
Banned

Once upon a time I lost 12 points and got the dreaded letter.

I picked the twelve months of good driving option.

Just happened to be going for a 6 month stint in the Kimberley, that week.

When I got there they made me get a WA licence to drive around the mines.

Guess how many points it had? :
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post