Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Default My mate Jack

In 1995 our first dog, Agro, a 2 month old border collie, was hit and killed by a 4WD. I would have been about 10 years old.

My dad worked at the local newspaper in Albury. Later that same week, an advertisement came in from the local pound for the "dog of the week". Basically every week the pound advertised a standout dog, whose owner hadn't claimed them and was to be put down that weekend if an owner wasn't found. It was an 18 month old border collie. Dad took it as a sign, and that afternoon we went down to the pound to have a look at this dog.

In amongst the pack of mongrels was this border collie. In the corner of the cage closest to us was this concrete enclosure for a water meter, it was about 4 feet high or so. Without so much of an effort, this dog leapt up onto the box and was face to face with us. No other dog could do it, no matter how hard they tried. Right then and there Dad called him Jack, as in “jumping jack flash”. That afternoon he was back at our house.

The damn dog was mad! He chased anything that moved. He would often be found several km away chasing cars at the hospital. We lived on a property that just had a wire fence with no gate so there was no way of keeping him in. One day he came limping home, he had been clipped by a car and broke his leg. He stopped running around the streets after that but still chased cars in our area, but never too close.

In 1997 he was bitten by a small black snake that he was trying to chase out of our garage. It was sitting behind a mattress, and the dog was going spastic. I pulled back the mattress to see this snake. The dog was crook for a few days but survived.

In 2004 he developed a cancer near his rear end. Thankfully it was removed and never returned. My dog beat cancer! He looked funny with that shaved rear end for a few weeks though.

He followed us around as we moved to Newcastle, then Sydney. He was there for my first kiss at the local park with my now wife. He was there studying for the HSC on the back patio driving me crazy with those damn squeaky toys (which my girlfriend thought was hilarious). He watched as my family got ready for my wedding. He was the best dog a boy, and a man, could ask for.

In the last few months the arthritis in his back got worse. He stopped wanting us to throw toys, and didn’t want to go for a walk. The vet put him on painkillers which worked for a while, but not for long. It had recently reached the stage where he couldn’t walk up or down the stairs in the back yard.

The decision was made to put him down on Saturday. Thankfully it was quick and peaceful. It was one of the hardest moments in my life. We had saved him from the needle all those years ago, and given him the best damn life a dog could ask for. He was about 16 years old.

I’ll miss you mate. You’ll always be at the back door looking in.

RIP

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

R.I.P Jack.

It's amazing the bonds that Humans and Animals can have.

Sounds like he had a great life mate! 16 years for any dog is an awesome innings.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I had a similar situation myself, although the dog (blue heeler) I had my parents bought as a pup when I was born and he lived to be about 14, getting into all sorts of mischief. It certainly is a hard time when their time is up but thats the way it goes at least it wasn't a short time you had with him

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Mate my condolences. I know what it is like to have a special dog as a best mate and I am not looking forward to the day I have to say goodbye, he has diabeties and is blind but still happy and mad.

You did the right thing, quality of life is more important than our need to "hang on".

RIP Jack.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
ch33z1l
Dawn

Always a hard decision. I made the choice to put my dog down. She was to the stage where she was suffering from random fits and arthritis in the back legs.

It was a good thing to give Jack a home, and a good thing that you made a hard decision to end his suffering.

Well done.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Sorry to hear that. It's always hard to have to let go, but it's the humane thing to do.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Condolences mate. My dog is going on 13 years old and I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. God help me when he goes.

You did the right thing not to let Jack suffer. I'm sure he is chewing on lots of squeky toys and chasing plenty of cars up there, and is as happy as looking down on you.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

RIP.

I had to do a similar thing to my Sooty (Dog, not cat) last year. She was awesome, but had renal failure, and hadn't been well for quite some time. It hurt then, and still hurts now. I am only just now able to start putting feelers out for something similar to Sooty.

Keep your chin up. It does get easier to walk out into the back yard, whistle, and notice nothing is coming running.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know what your going through, its very hard losing your best friend.
Back in 1992 my family got a pure bred maltese, we named him Bob, he was the best dog ever, and i still miss him, he had to be put down in 2002, he was very sick from old age.

I would love to be able to get a hold of a pup from one of his offspring, there would be quite a few out there, he used to have a litter a year, about 4 - 8 pups a year, that was a great thing, brand new adorable pups to play with each year... great timing to, they'd always be ready by christmas
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Springfield_Johny

Mate, I'm so sorry to hear about your mate Jack. I too have a blue heeler, I've had her since she was about 9 weeks old. She's approaching 16. While she's still fairly agile & will still chase a ball, which I do rarely with her these days due to age and other old age issues, she used to play fetch until I was worried about her collapsing from exaustion, but could never get enough of chasing a ball and bringing it back, time & time again. I have seen a definate deterioration in her the last 12 months. She's virtually completely blind at night & must be mostly deaf. Every now and then her hind legs give a little wobble, but she can still get up & down, pee & poop without any signs of discomfort. I know the time I have left with her is limited. I muck around with my teenage daughter that "the dog will be dead soon" she loves her very much & has even phoned taxidermists to find out about getting her stuffed so we'll always have Gypsy at home. I'm going to be a mess when the time comes. She has always been a great dog, very loyal & obedient.

Time will allow your heart to recover & you may find enough room for another best mate.

John

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

like everyone else here, mate, sorry for your loss.

ive only had my girl matilda (ridgeback X rough collie) for 18mths and i cant imagine loosing her.

keep your chin up and it will get better

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

RIP Jack

You did the right thing mate its all about quality of life and he may not have had that if you went the other way.

We had a cat for near on 16 years and she went downhil very fast and senial we would find her in strange places because she couldnt find her way home, the decision to put her down was devestating but it was the right thing to do and she resides in my dads back yard looking over it

Edit- which local paper in Albury? My g/f's dad works at the border mail as their motoring journo
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Thanks everyone. It's been an emotional couple of days. It's still hard just looking at his photos. But I know these things must happen. Cheers.

DJM - Yeah, the border mail. He was the editor from 95 to 98.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Man have you seen the movie marley and me! the best description of the bond between man and animal!i even got teary :(

RIP lil fella!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
azaxr8

RIP JACK

Reading this brung back fond memories of my blue heeler, Lived till 17 years. Miss her something chronic.

This is one thing that will put me in tears and send shivers down my spine.

My condolences to all. Goodluck with it all.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
FreeTv
Starter Motor

King Nothing,

I feel for you, It brings a tear to an eye of a grown 37yo man.

My 2 boys are my best mates,

The 1st is a Maltese Terrier my wife got from her father on her 21st, 15years later he’s still going strong, eats well, never has process dog food, as his Mum’s a chef

A little deaf, a little blind but he has a big heart and has lots of love to give.

I know the day will come and it will be hard on us both, as you said they are with you every moment at home and the things in life you do.

I still remember the photos on our wedding day in 2000 with my wife holding her boy, I just hope he’s around long enough to see our children, my wife’s due in Dec with our first.

The 2nd is a cross malt / poodle and was saved from the streets 7 years ago after being BADLY abused, kicked, beaten, after a few months / years he has allowed us in and trusts us has become my shadow every where I go.

I saved him and spend the time re assuring him and he now never leaves me alone, I love them both unconditionally, as they do us.

Who else wags they tails and smiles when you get home cranky, never the wife !!!!!! But always the boys.

Again sorry to hear and thanks for letting us know, it helps with the healing and being able to move on.

If you’re going to get a new dog try doggie rescue http://www.doggierescue.com.au/

The pics are during the Kitchen reno,

Barney the malt cross on the left and Casper the 15yo Malt on the right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23 Draw Trolls.JPG (106.1 KB, 50 views)
FreeTv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
dannyxm
was danny888

My dog Dixie (Staffy X) died last week.

Mum called me saying she had shortness of breath etc and wanted to take her to the vet. (had left the dog on the farm as i only moved out last year.)

I thought she was overreacting as she usually does with the animals.

When i saw Dixie in the back of mums car i knew something was wrong.

We took her into the vet and she didnt want to walk. I carried her in and the vets at the Sydney University Vet Hospital in Camden. Gave her all tests, xrays etc and found nothing. they put her on some meds, it made her jump up a bit on the table under observation, however it was not fixing the actual problem.

Crying my heart out while trying to think rationally is hard to do. One thing that i noticed that she never took her eyes of me throughout the whole time.

The vet said there is little more we can do as it isnt working. They suspect that she had a stroke. I continued to hold her as the heart monitor went from single beeps to one long beep, her heart was failing.

I held her tightly as she used her last ounce of strength to pull herself closer to me, then i felt her spirit leave her. She was gone.

The vets (there were 4 of them working on her by this stage) and mum were in tears. The vets put her in a bag and carried her out for me with dignity and respect.

We burried her on the farm once we got home.

Found 7 weeks old in 1998, she ran to me while i was working in an industrial area. She continued to follow me and never went astray. 11 years later, only death could have made her leave my side.

On Sunday i went home and she was acting like a crazy puppy. Running after me with the hose and wanting to play all day. She chased the hose while i was washing my 1965 Falcon im restoring. The very same car i brought her home in when found her. when she was a 7 week old pup, and me an 18 year old.

I pity people who do not understand the link people can have with a dog. As much pain as im feeling now, its worth it.

They say memories are golden, well, maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories, I only wanted you.
A million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you, you never would have died.
In life I loved you dearly, in death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place no one else could fill.
If tears could build a stairway and heartache make a lane.
I'd walk the path to Heaven and bring you back home again.
Our family chain is broken, and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us back one by one, the chain will link again.

When God had made the earth and sky,
the flowers and the trees,
He then made all the animals
the fish, the birds and bees
And when at last He'd finished
not one was quite the same.
He said I'll walk this world of mine
and give each one a name.
And so He travelled far and wide
and everywhere He went,
a little creature followed Him
until its strength was spent.
When all were named upon the earth
and in the Sky and Sea,
the little creature said "Dear Lord,
there's no name left for me."
Kindly the Father said to him
"I've left you to the end.
I've turned my own name back to front
And called you DOG, my friend".
dannyxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #18
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

My condolences mate.

RIP Jack.

My older sisters dog died on my birthday last year, i'd pretty much grown up with it since i was about 6-7 years old.

His name was Marble, and he lived for about 12 (human) years. When my sister moved to Adelaide he moved in with us. He was the best dog ever, happy to see you etc etc... about a month or 2 before we discovered he was getting sick, he wasnt keen for his usual walks, wasnt eating properly, he was blind by this stage aswell from his age)

Took him to the vet to discover he had some weird cancer lump on his nose, they treated him and it wasnt working, the lump grew back. Next month he was getting one of those pro's who come around wash & give them a haircut, he was bleeding everywhere from the side of his nose...

That day was my 19th birthday... He didnt want to walk into the vet, so i carried him in (i was really nervous and i could tell Marble was really nervous aswell)

I was on the phone to my older sister in a instant telling her what the vet was saying... my sister was in tears, i was in tears the rest of my family was in tears.

Seeing Marble get put down was the hardest thing i have ever gone through... When they put him down.. he was looking at me then he wasnt...

So keep strong mate, i know how it feels.
-Tom

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
iCat
doof doof doof doof

always so devastating... leaves a huge hole in your life. animals love us for what we are, accept us for what we are, and that is their pure beauty.

they wait for us at the other end, but that can seem so far away....

heartfelt sympathy to all those here who have lost their special friend.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Sorry to hear. You certainly can get attached to Pets.

R.I.P. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post