Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default My lower airbox removal project

Today I removed the lower airbox / intake resonator. I used RJO89's instructions from HERE (Post #20 - Thanks mate!)

Here are my experiences:

First you have to jack up the car, then remove the plastic lining of the wheel arch, passenger side headlight & fog light (if fitted):

After taking out the 3 screws holding it in place, you can rip the whole thing right out (for what it actually does it's huge!)

My mate and I then routed a 3-inch flexipipe from under the wheel arch, right up to the pod filter:

The smaller pipe here is the one that you get in the K&N Kit. It comes from in front of the radiator:

Finished:

The result:
- Better fuel efficiency! It's dropped from 12.0L/100km to about 8.5L/100km (90% of my driving is done in peak hour)
- Very slight increase in power, especially lower down and at the very top end of the range.

My overall impressions:

After several months of running the K&N setup, I think it has two major downfalls - no heat-shielding & lack of proper cold air flow (especially with the single flexi-tube provided in the kit). It's only now, after running this second tube that I am happier with the performance.

I think you'd be better off following this approach HERE

Last edited by DZFord; 13-04-2009 at 11:16 PM.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Update: In traffic this morning, the engine levelled off at 10.5L/100km, which is still a little better I guess!
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt this mod will affect fuel economy but if it gives a stronger top end say from 4500 up I'd do it myself. I'd be happy with 15l/100Km so long as it pulled like a 16 year old.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
Mullett
Badly Focused

Likewise, i wouldn't expect a significant change in fuel consumption from a *stock* car. Driving in peak traffic, your underbonnet temps would be through the roof, and with the K+N intake, your intake air would have been at least 50+ degrees sitting in traffic. The ECU will retard the timing, and probably richen the mixtures to prevent detonation, so there's a good chance that doing the airbox mod to replace the K+N kit HAS improved fuel economy on your car.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post