Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
rob_o

Default Speed Camera Privacy

Before I start, yes I did a search and found nothing, but if its been posted then I apologize.

I was driving through a 40 zone yesterday when I saw a flash in the corner of my eye. There was a white falcon wagon with a spot light on its roof. I knew what had happened, however I wasnt sure whether it was me or another car. I know I was doing under 50, however it was a 40 zone so it could have been me - but there was other cars around so Im not 100% on it.

However, the cop car was facing me, therefore took the photo front-on. I remember hearing about a privacy act that they couldnt take the photo from the front, but I also heard that it wasnt true.

Does anyone know what the legalities are? I am in NSW.

rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
347Stroker
Banned

I didnt think 40 zones existed outside of school hours.....so being a sunday.....
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
rob_o

Nah we have 40 zones here in Gosford now. Through the main part of the city, and one street just out of the city. Ive seen that cop car parked there a few times now, but Ive always noticed him earlier coz I was coming the other way.
Old 25-07-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

In NSW they stick 40 zones everywhere, wherever they feel like it. Around roadworks is a popular one when sometimes it is not needed.

I am not sure of the legality of this rob_o, I had heard the same thing about them not being able to take a pic from the front, that it had to be from the back but don't quote me.

Any cops on here wanna help out? Or maybe you could ring the local cop shop and ask them... then tell me the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
rob_o

Hehe yeh thanks bindi.

40 Zones here are a killer. They have been doing roadworks for over a year now at this one spot here on the coast, and they put up the 40 zone approx 500m before and AFTER the actual roadworks :P
Old 25-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Not sure about NSW, but in Vic you can get snapped coming towards the camera, I did.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #7
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Hate to say this mate - but if it was your pic they got you're GONE...
A short drive up Henry Parry Drive (road from Wyoming - old marketown past North Gosford Private hospital) will reveal a fixed camera emplacement (near the school 40k zone) looking North that takes pics BOTH ways (I'm lucky enuff NOT to have been one of them, though I HAVE seen the fines)
I think the privacy defence would stand up almost as well as the Brazillian's defence in the UK that he didn't understand that the cops only wanted to check his back pack.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 04:28 PM   #8
rob_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Hate to say this mate - but if it was your pic they got you're GONE...
A short drive up Henry Parry Drive (road from Wyoming - old marketown past North Gosford Private hospital) will reveal a fixed camera emplacement (near the school 40k zone) looking North that takes pics BOTH ways (I'm lucky enuff NOT to have been one of them, though I HAVE seen the fines)
I think the privacy defence would stand up almost as well as the Brazillian's defence in the UK that he didn't understand that the cops only wanted to check his back pack.
Yeah Ive noticed that some fixed speed cameras have the sensors on the road for both directions.

This was just a white falcon wagon parked on Henry Parry Drive in the 40 zone in the twisty section of the road. Ah well... gotta cop it sweet. Mite write in a letter being my 1st offence...
Old 26-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Also at the bottom of Mt Ousley at Wollongong ... the cameras face the traffic ... these are fixed ones as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post