Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #31
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
These 2 sentences are your problem. Still in school so you probably know SFA about cars handling, driving and capabilities. Then you go on to base your opinion of the car on its power and its looks. There is a LOT more to a car than those 2 factors.
Ok then, what else would you like me to compare the Hyundai against another car? I don't see why you're trying to stick up for the Hyundai when it clearly is a terrible car? You don't need to know how to even drive or have driven a car to compare a Hyundai against other, CLEARLY BETTER cars in every shape and form. The only reason people buy a Hyundai is because of the cheap price, and what they get, is an underpowered, feature lacking car. I'm going to end this discussion because it has clearly gone offtopic from what the OP wanted to post. My apologies.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #32
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Everyone that I know that has a hyundai has had almost no problems with them.... and when they do they have been treated really well.

My boss, for instance, has a series 2 Hyundai Excel and 5yrs later has had no problems whatsoever (apparently in series two Hyundai really lifted there game).

Remember, Hyundai have one car of the year with both the Getz and Accent... Accent twice if I recall.
Old 15-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #33
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
Ok then, what else would you like me to compare the Hyundai against another car? I don't see why you're trying to stick up for the Hyundai when it clearly is a terrible car? You don't need to know how to even drive or have driven a car to compare a Hyundai against other, CLEARLY BETTER cars in every shape and form. The only reason people buy a Hyundai is because of the cheap price, and what they get, is an underpowered, feature lacking car. I'm going to end this discussion because it has clearly gone offtopic from what the OP wanted to post. My apologies.
THATS A MAD Hyundia, dohnuts in reverse COOL 10.9 Qtr unbeleivable

as for Ride, when you hire a 1.5 manual GETZ with CD player and elec mirrors and windows and give it a thrashing then come back and tell me how crap they are. these things use 6litres per 100km on highway go damn quick and from what i've seen and heard the build quality from ford would not be any better,
am i bias like yourself? I own X series fords not likely to buy anything 2005 model for at least 10 years , you crittisied for not being constructive and yet you are the worst for it in this thread :
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #34
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
I'll help you, to get rid of it. Anyone who watched the 26 car hot hatch comparison last year in Top Gear, will know that the Elantra was one of the worst cars to drive. Hyundai should pack up and go out of Australia, even the world, their cars are absolute gutless pieces of .
It is a gutless peice of crap, and personally I wouoldn't buy one if it were the last car on earth... But like I said, It's my mothers car. At the time when we bought it, it was a very good value for money car for an unemployed single mother. We've had it for 3 years now, and we have had no problems with it despite the thrashing we've given it. My point is, my mum needed a cheap, reliable, comfortable, economical car. The price tag of the Elantra allowed her to have all of that in a new car, which meant a lot to mum. (she's had it tough the last couple of years and to own a new car was a great feeling of success.) Yeah build quality isn't great, but it is certainately good enough. There was nothing else at that time which came close to the Hyundai for the same money, in terms of space, warranty and extras.

That said, the car no longer suits our needs, and as such we will be selling it to get a 4WD like a Land-Rover Discovery or a GQ Patrol. Something that can handle the rural roads better than the Hyundai.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #35
Perun
SSith Lord

Despite not liking a single Hyundai that's damn impressive. However, a twin engine setup... obviously the guy's doing it to promote his business because no one with half a brain wouldn't attempt something like that and pay someone to do it. The labour costs would be enormous because you effectively have to re-engineer the entire car!

On Hyundai build quality...

Having driven most late model Hyundais (between new and a few years old) there is a noticeable difference in build quality, feel of the car and NVH levels between the old models and new ones.

Eg. I was very impressed with the last Tiburon I drove. The car seemed to be screwed together quite well, NVH levels were more than acceptable, and interior fit and finish was up there with the rest of them. Even the last of the Excels - there was nothing offensive about the car, let alone the Accent which is a vastly improved model.

From what I've heard about the new Sonata, the big boys should be scared. Korea is making up ground in leaps and bounds in basicaly anything they do. Our Samsung microwave is close to 10 years old now and it looks brand new. The plastic hasn't gone yellow, all the buttons still work, etc. Koreans have learns a few things about making things last, and within a few years they will be a SERIOUS force to be reckoned with, globally.

Ride,

Mate, you're basing your argument what you've heard about these cars from other people. The facts are these days that Hyundais, although ugly (apart from the Sonata by that's my opinion anyway) are excellent value for the money because you do get a fair few features, decent build quality and 5 year/130,000km warranty.

Top Gear is British and Britain gets cars with different specs to us. Well, that's the case with most cars. Just compare the Fiesta in UK and here. Two totally different cars. We get a lot more eqiupment, more powerful engines, etc.

DISCLAIMER: I wouldn't be caught dead in a Hyundai so don't go acusing me of being a Hyundai-lover.
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #36
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats an awesome car! Much more impressive than most of what I have seen in Oz.

I wonder if you can put the front wheels in reverse and back wheels in forwards for some super quick donuts! Cool!! CRAZY car!! Doesnt matter what it is, its unique!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #37
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Give me a Tiburon any day of the week.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #38
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_nick

From what I've heard about the new Sonata, the big boys should be scared.
Havent heard much about them but they look like a very impressive car.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I wouldn't be caught dead in a Hyundai so don't go acusing me of being a Hyundai-lover.
Agreed, but i dont bash those who do buy them.
Old 15-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #39
eb2flyz
bettering 13.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
Everyone that I know that has a hyundai has had almost no problems with them.... and when they do they have been treated really well.

My boss, for instance, has a series 2 Hyundai Excel and 5yrs later has had no problems whatsoever (apparently in series two Hyundai really lifted there game).

Remember, Hyundai have one car of the year with both the Getz and Accent... Accent twice if I recall.
agreed we've had our accent for almost 4 yrs, and it has never let us down, it has gone back only once to have a fuel pump replaced under warranty. i personally reckon they are one of the best value for money cars on the roads today.

one thing for some of you to ponder how many times have you known/been someone who has been back into their dealerships to get warranty issues soreted out, and i think that you may find that the beloved blue corner and the red corner probley suffer more claims and less service than some of the smaller company's like hyundai ect, on average.

now me better go and duck :

FPV/Tickford Club of W.A

Performance is Electronic

BPT Motorsport
eb2flyz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #40
BlackLS

Quote:
Initial Quality Study (IQS)

JD Power’s 2004 Initial Quality Study (IQS) in the US surveyed more than 51,000 new car buyers, asking them to report problems experienced during the first 90 days of ownership.

The results are expressed as problems per 100 vehicles, or PP100.

It’s no surprise that Lexus scored top spot, with 87 PP100. Lexus quality is the best in the business, and it has dominated IQS surveys over the years.

Lexus was followed by Cadillac, Jaguar (big improvers since Ford took over a few years back) and Honda.

Hyundai improved its ranking from 23rd in 2003 to seventh in 2004.

On average, the Korean brands now lead the Europeans and domestic Americans.

At the bottom of the IQS rankings is Hummer (173 PP100), followed by Volkswagen (164), Porsche (159; what was that about German cars being the best?) Scion, Mazda, Nissan and Kia.

Also below the industry average were Subaru, Ford, Saab and Land Rover; above the line were Toyota, Mercedes-Benz (though in 10th position) Audi, BMW and Volvo.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post