Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

Default Got my new car!

today i took delivery of an 07 Focus TDCi. only done about 60ks on it so far but it is a dream to drive! currently running @ 5.7lt/100km so im wrapped!

cant find any faults with it atm. i didnt get the funnel for filling it up...luckily i didnt need it today.

the iPod adapter is in the worst position i have ever seen. lol what were they thinking?

not a fan of how the bonnet needs to be opened but ill live with it.

when i turn the car off, i can hear something whine down in the engine bay. first i thought it was the turbo....but it actually sounds mechanical in a way....any ideas what it could be?

pics up later in the week.

anthony

AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
NO2
Old Man

I thought the whine was the turbo.
Currently I have 15,000km on my TDCI and no mechanical problems.
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyTDCi
when i turn the car off, i can hear something whine down in the engine bay. first i thought it was the turbo....but it actually sounds mechanical in a way....any ideas what it could be?

anthony
Electric powersteering pump

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Electric powersteering pump
So THAT'S what that is. I've always wondered since I got my new car what the hell that noise was. Never thought it was anything wrong, but could never figure out what it was. Thanks Chris !!!!

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

pitty its not the turbo....thatd be sweet.

when i start the car and start driving, there is a kind of clicking sound which i think comes from the drivers side of the engine bay. can be heard from in the car. is it normal?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Is it a loud clicking? Odds are it isn't meant to be there. It's always hard to describe noises though. I've got a clicking sound that occurs as I pull the clutch out. As the clutch is engaging, it makes a clicking noise. No idea what it is, and it doesn't happen everytime, generally when the revs are a little lower and then the clutch is pulled out. Probably is only because the revs are too low. Anyone have any idea?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
GSR
Focus LT

I get clicking sounds on mine as well about 50-100 metres after I start moving. I think it might be the ABS setting itself or something, but hey I only just figured out today, after nearly 6 months, how to lock my car from the inside, so dont take my thought too seriously.
GSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR
I get clicking sounds on mine as well about 50-100 metres after I start moving. I think it might be the ABS setting itself or something, but hey I only just figured out today, after nearly 6 months, how to lock my car from the inside, so dont take my thought too seriously.
. Nah it could be that. But mine tends to happen just as I'm taking off. I know it's got something to do with the fact that when it happens, I'm taking off ~<1100rpm. Can't say I've heard the same noise that you're having GSR.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
sotongkia
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR
Hey, I got that too.. At first thought it was the gearbox (mines auto, focus ghia, petrol)... But it doesn't do that at stop lights.. always almost sync with auto shifting from gear 1 to 2, after start up... audible metallic click..

Then I thought its the handbrake line or pad after leaving it overnight or a long time.

Then sometimes during the day, I get that too... In my older vehicle, (Chevrolet Optra in Singapore, which is the Holden Viva sedan here) I get something like that too.. but much softer and only if I am listening for it with my radio off...

They told me its the arming of the Airbag relay or some switch...
sotongkia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

so this clicking sound that people are hearing....is it coming from any particular part of the engine bay?

the click on my car happens at around the 50metre mark. only happens when i start the car and set off.

another question: when i gave my TDCi some stick on my way home tonight, there was alot of what appeared to be smoke coming out the exhaust. i would have hit boost in 3rd while doing it.....is this normal? is it just the car fueling up?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyTDCi
1. the click
2. smoke
1. the click is the ABS calibration, totally normal
2. the smoke.... its TDCi its totally normal... every tdci i have driven does it... same thing as big trucks do it when under heavy load... just lots of carbon..
Old 04-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Yes I get the click as well after a cold start and right when I shift into 2nd gear, I always thought it was the ABS.

As for the wind down sound, do the petrols sound the same? I reckon it sounds kind of cool

Recently though my car has been making a knocking noise in the rear left suspension when navigating slow speed corners and bumps. It is getting quite annoying as it never used to do it, any ideas??

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

turbo diesel: how many k's has your car done?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Coming up to 29,000km. The knocking started at around 25,000km, before that I've had absolutely no mechanical problems.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

hmm.....i have a while to catch up to that.....something to look forward to maybe?

have i gone blind...or is there no dash light dimmer on the focus?

where do people make gear shifts to get maximum fuel efficiency in their diesel?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dash light dimmer in my LS focus is to the left of the headlight switch. mine's petrol, but to get the maximum fuel efficiency in your diesel i would try to make it boost as little as possible
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #17
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

well i was sitting in crap traffic today on the way home from work and its currently on 6.1l/100. i generally shift at 2000rpm with very light throttle.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
wizamc

Yeah I get the click as well. When I took it in to Ford though they couldn't replicate it...bugger.

The whine down does happen in the petrol's as well (I know that from the dealer lending me a CL while my car was in for a service.... driving it without the torque made me sad!!!)

Smoke is normal... I love doing it to those with hotted up cars and slam the foot down and throw em some smoke to suck on.... but then I'm kinda evil when one sits on my ***!!!! (the car's not mine)

The TDCi doesn't have the dimmer for the dash lights.

Mine's just gone in for its 45,000km service and they finally fixed up the annoying rattle I was getting when changing gear (and what made it worse was that it refused to do it when I had a mechanic in the car... it only did it for em when they came to pick me up from home)... it was a couple of pipes vibrating against the chasis... they moved em and the car feels like heaven!!!!!

I drive a lot of freeway kms so I sit around 5-5.2l/100 but I vary my shift times. 1st and 2nd get 3000rpm and the others a tad over 2000.

Let us know how you go with the knocking Turbo... I'd be interested to hear what the problem is.
wizamc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #19
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is going strong still, I have done 17000 ks and its a dream to drive. My only complaints and they are pretty minor are the quality of the seats and that annoying seatbelt warning. The rest of the car is fantastic and after driving my other car (SV6) this thing is like driving a cloud. My fuel economy in stop start traffic is 7.2. It does not change.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #20
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
Mine is going strong still, I have done 17000 ks and its a dream to drive. My only complaints and they are pretty minor are the quality of the seats and that annoying seatbelt warning. The rest of the car is fantastic and after driving my other car (SV6) this thing is like driving a cloud. My fuel economy in stop start traffic is 7.2. It does not change.

yeah i totally agree about the seat belt warning. although its a good idea....its very annoying!

i sit in traffic for about 1hour in total every day 5 days a week, and i can get 5.7l/100....atm its slightly higher because i have just filled up and im waiting for it to even out.
Old 15-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #21
mrt08
Starter Motor

6.6l/100kms for me in Sydney metro traffic
mrt08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #22
B Type
Starter Motor

6.1 - 6.4 @ 110 open rd a bit dissapointed really
B Type is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
scooby

I've driven 5 different Foci's and noticed that the litres/100km's readout varies a lot between each one. Doesn't seem too accurate to me. I would take more notice of how many k's you get to a tank full of gas.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #24
wizamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Type
6.1 - 6.4 @ 110 open rd a bit dissapointed really
That fuel consumption is excessive in a TDCi. I drive those conditions everyday and get 4.8-5.2. I would seriously look into that, as there would have to be a few issues there for that sort of consumption.
wizamc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #25
Martys_EL_V8

My friend has a focus CL and she was complaining about the same clicking noise, ford looked at the car and found nothing wrong.
and as always when she brought it to the dealer it didn't make the noise....

my rule of thumb when trying to drive efficiently is don't worry so much about rev's its how far you put your foot down, the more the accelerator is depressed the more fuel it will ask for...

oh god..
ON OWN... ON OWN!!!!

gone are the days when big fords had cigarette lighters in every door
Project FE LTD underway!!
Martys_EL_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #26
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martys_EL_V8
My friend has a focus CL and she was complaining about the same clicking noise, ford looked at the car and found nothing wrong.
and as always when she brought it to the dealer it didn't make the noise....

my rule of thumb when trying to drive efficiently is don't worry so much about rev's its how far you put your foot down, the more the accelerator is depressed the more fuel it will ask for...

yes thats how i see it too....although i try not to take mine above 2k.

drove on the freeway the other day for about 1 hour and my car was reading....wait for it.....4.2l/100kms!!!
Old 26-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #27
B Type
Starter Motor

Thanks for the comment.

I'm off to Adelaide tomorrow, I will take the chance to check the computer, we only have 2700ks so I am hoping it will loosen up.
B Type is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post